Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Quote Originally Posted by cyberhubbs View Post
    And I'm sure they're a wonderful read. But I'm talking about the 616 -- and to an extent, MC2 -- comics published through Marvel.
    The daily strip is goofy as they come. But there's a certain charm to that kind of thing. (Obviously, your mileage may vary.)

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Darthfury78 View Post
    I see Renew Your Vows Peter x MJ in the same manner as the House of M universe Peter x Gwen Stacy. Now if only we could had see a timeline version where Peter x Betty Brant or Peter x Felicia Hardy, which would have been an interesting alternate universe plot twist. Afterall, there was a timeline where we saw Peter Parker x Silver Sable in a relationship.
    Considering the popularity of Mary Jane, Slott's terrible treatment of Felicia, and Betty's relationship with Flash, I could see why they're opting to have Peter with Mary Jane in this story.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Kevinroc View Post
    The daily strip is goofy as they come. But there's a certain charm to that kind of thing. (Obviously, your mileage may vary.)
    I used to read the strip way, way back in the day, when I lived in NY still. They were fun.

I'm just focusing here on books being published by Marvel, 'cause they're the ones who'd wonder how and why to run two very similar titles alongside each other.

BANNED

Not to mention it was set in a larger future setting
    Sometimes, but the sliding time-scale ended up taking it from 2017 to 1996 last I checked

More eldritch than thou Venomous Mask's Avatar

If it becomes popular enough, we might get a long term series. Marvel is ultimately about making money.
    "I should describe my known nature as tripartite, my interests consisting of three parallel and disassociated groups; a) love of the strange and the fantastic, b) love of abstract truth and scientific logic, c) love of the ancient and the permanent. Sundry combinations of these strains will probably account for my...odd tastes, and eccentricities."

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Phantom Roxas View Post
    Considering the popularity of Mary Jane, Slott's terrible treatment of Felicia, and Betty's relationship with Flash, I could see why they're opting to have Peter with Mary Jane in this story.
    You are right. But Betty and Flash broke up a long time ago. The one thing that Betty and Felicia have in common was that they respectively dated Flash, and to realize that their long term chemistry with him did not last very long in contrast to Peter Parker. Then again, this is Slott's story to tell as he considers Mary Jane his one and only sole mate. If that is the case, why did we even need OMD to begin with? Such a wasted opportunity to do something different with Peter's relationship which should have started with renewing it with Betty Brant, followed by Felicia Hardy for a time.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Cameron Samurai View Post
    Sometimes, but the sliding time-scale ended up taking it from 2017 to 1996 last I checked
    It was set ahead of 616, though, right? With the kids of previous characters in the spotlight.

BANNED

It was set ahead of 616, though, right? With the kids of previous characters in the spotlight.
    Definitely, I think it was later stated in the handbooks it established the Heroic Age before 616 did, just Peter was pretty much sitting most of it out.

You are right. But Betty and Flash broke up a long time ago..
    Their last break-up really was'nt that long ago, at least not in comic book time
    Last edited by Cameron Samurai; 01-08-2015 at 12:09 PM.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Cameron Samurai View Post
    Their last break-up really was'nt that long ago, at least not in comic book time
    I think that Betty would be quick to take Peter back as her boyfriend once again than renewing it with Flash once again.

BANNED

You are right. But Betty and Flash broke up a long time ago. The one thing that Betty and Felicia have in common was that they respectively dated Flash, and to realize that their long term chemistry with him did not last very long in contrast to Peter Parker. Then again, this is Slott's story to tell as he considers Mary Jane his one and only sole mate. If that is the case, why did we even need OMD to begin with? Such a wasted opportunity to do something different with Peter's relationship which should have started with renewing it with Betty Brant, followed by Felicia Hardy for a time.
    We "needed" OMD because Joe Quesada dedicated his job entirely to causing House of M, and Civil War, and One More Day. House of M was because there were "too many mutants", because apparently it's actually bad to have such a big franchise, unless the problem was there was oversaturation. I could understand Civil War's intent of "shaking things up", even if it did so in the dumbest of ways. One More Day, though? That wasn't looking at a franchise or sales. That was just about hating the idea of the marriage, and satisfying his own ego.

I prefer Peter with Mary Jane, so I'm sorry to say that I'm not going to agree with the idea that what OMD wasted was an opportunity to pair Peter up with Betty or Felicia. Then again, wasn't OMD all about just leaving it possible for Peter to date those two anyway? It was Brand New Day where those opportunities got wasted. At the very least, by the time the Venom series came along, I could see why they didn't have Peter end up with Betty, but Felicia… yeah, I got nothing. I think Felicia, Betty, and Mary Jane all fell victim to the same strategy. Brand New Day was all about trying to do "new" things. Characters like Carlie were created for the sole purpose of trying to have someone other than the "usual suspects" like Mary Jane. Unfortunately, I could see Betty and Felicia being considered closer to Mary Jane in terms of a path better of not retreading.

Quote Originally Posted by Phantom Roxas View Post
    We "needed" OMD because Joe Quesada dedicated his job entirely to causing House of M, and Civil War, and One More Day. House of M was because there were "too many mutants", because apparently it's actually bad to have such a big franchise, unless the problem was there was oversaturation. I could understand Civil War's intent of "shaking things up", even if it did so in the dumbest of ways. One More Day, though? That wasn't looking at a franchise or sales. That was just about hating the idea of the marriage, and satisfying his own ego.

I prefer Peter with Mary Jane, so I'm sorry to say that I'm not going to agree with the idea that what OMD wasted was an opportunity to pair Peter up with Betty or Felicia. Then again, wasn't OMD all about just leaving it possible for Peter to date those two anyway? It was Brand New Day where those opportunities got wasted. At the very least, by the time the Venom series came along, I could see why they didn't have Peter end up with Betty, but Felicia… yeah, I got nothing. I think Felicia, Betty, and Mary Jane all fell victim to the same strategy. Brand New Day was all about trying to do "new" things. Characters like Carlie were created for the sole purpose of trying to have someone other than the "usual suspects" like Mary Jane. Unfortunately, I could see Betty and Felicia being considered closer to Mary Jane in terms of a path better of not retreading.
    Say what you will about Quesada, he was doing what he thought was best for Marvel. He certainly articulated a position that he believed it was better for the comics if Peter and MJ weren't married, even if you disagree with his arguments.

He thought House of M fixed two problems. When there were so many mutants out there, individual mutants were no longer special. Meanwhile, it gave writers a shortcut on origin stories when introducing a new character when there's a ready-made explanation for super-powers.
    Sincerely,
    Thomas Mets