Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Default Should More Writers/ Artists explore the world of Renew Your Vows?

There's a lot of speculation about Renew Your Vows.

Dan Slott's going to be writing it. It's going to be one of the battleworlds in Hickman's Secret Wars. We'll see it in Summer 2015. And it seems to have Peter Parker as a family man.

It seems from the thread on the topic that many of you will want to see Peter Parker stay around as a family man.

If that doesn't happen, would you like to see other writers and artists exploring that world in the Summer of 2015? If so, what writers and artists?

It certainly seems like something that could result in a lot of story material, although I can understand one drawback if there are tie-ins to a Secret Wars tie-in. Though there were plenty of Spider-Man Unmasked tie-ins during Civil War.
    Sincerely,
    Thomas Mets

Rachel turned into Ahab's baby momma by Marvel. Disgusting.

I predict that this Peter will go the way of MC2 Peter.

There I said it because that's what we're all thinking will happen.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Sardorim View Post
    I predict that this Peter will go the way of MC2 Peter
    Possibly, but would they go through with yet another version of Peter failing at the finish line so soon after Spider-Verse? (Assuming it's an AU Peter at all)

I've had a hunch for a while that, if it turns out to be an AU, that 616 MJ will possibly end up looking after the daughter from RYV, maybe also Baby Benjy if something happens to Mayday. and ultimately she and Peter come together as a family through the pull of this responsibility (if all stories still count, the vision of the future with an older Peter and MJ with these kids will still happen)
    Last edited by Cameron Samurai; 12-30-2014 at 12:55 AM.

Uuuuuncle Roooooog!

But seriously.

Astonishing Member

This Dan Slott's story. Let him run with it. No need to have someone else in the pot. Otherwise, it will never end.

iMan 42s

Having read omd I say I'm screwed on having a married Peter following this. Tie ins though? I'd imagine the spider family might bring it up because something like this would be a big deal for them.
    -----------------------------------
    For anyone that needs to know why OMD is awful please search the internet for Linkara' s video's specifically his One more day review or his One more day Analysis.

I don't see why this reality cannot survive SW and have its own ongoing. Current management doesn't want to restore the marriage in the 616 anyhoo so might as well retain some lost readers by giving them this substitute. Why should Marvel say no to $$?

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Confuzzled View Post
    I don't see why this reality cannot survive SW and have its own ongoing. Current management doesn't want to restore the marriage in the 616 anyhoo so might as well retain some lost readers by giving them this substitute. Why should Marvel say no to $$?
    Personally, what might have made for a good plot twist was for Peter Parker to marry Betty Brant(or Felicia Hardy[no longer the Black Cat]) and to have a child together in a possible timeline. We already have an alternate timeline where Peter Parker in a relationship with Silver Sable, and another timeline with Ms. Marvel(Carol Danvers), as well as two alternate timelines where Peter's married to Gwen Stacy.

A) We're not all thinking that?

B) Even if it's true, it seems like there's story material available in the years prior to the events of Renew Your Vows.

Quote Originally Posted by normanosborn View Post
    Uuuuuncle Roooooog!

But seriously.
    Stern doesn't like to write a married Peter Parker.

Dematteis and Peter David, on the other hand...
    Sincerely,
    Thomas Mets

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Confuzzled View Post
    At least with MC2 you had Mayday's adventures and even those didn't last. I doubt this Regency and even Battleworld will be around post-SW, so they won't have a setting anyway.

BANNED

Then Tom Defalco and Ron Frenz should do the arc since they know how Peter would act as a father.

BANNED

I think it depends on what the Regency is. If it's in conflict with Spider-Land because the latter's prince chose a human over one of their own kind, then that kinda set-up could be worth delving deeper. If it's just MJ and Peter sitting around marriedand with a kid, then that seems a little more cut and dry.

Quote Originally Posted by Darthfury78 View Post
    Personally, what might have made for a good plot twist was for Peter Parker to marry Betty Brant(or Felicia Hardy[no longer the Black Cat]) and to have a child together in a possible timeline. We already have an alternate timeline where Peter Parker in a relationship with Silver Sable, and another timeline with Ms. Marvel(Carol Danvers), as well as two alternate timelines where Peter's married to Gwen Stacy.
    Tell me again how you aren't just "shipping" Peter?

Quote Originally Posted by cyberhubbs View Post
    I think it depends on what the Regency is. If it's in conflict with Spider-Land because the latter's prince chose a human over one of their own kind, then that kinda set-up could be worth delving deeper. If it's just MJ and Peter sitting around marriedand with a kid, then that seems a little more cut and dry.
    I wonder if this will be very "House of M" like. Where 616 Peter just wakes up married to MJ, and they have a daughter together.
    Last edited by Kevinroc; 12-30-2014 at 10:04 AM.

BANNED

The topic question assumes that I'm "settling" for a different writer on the assumption that the story won't restore the Watson-Parker family, and exploring this alternate universe is supposed to make up for Renew Your Vows being inconsequential. In spite of my expectations, I'll try to base my responses regardless of whether or not this will stick.

I'd be interesting in seeing Christ Yost write more about this as a sort of spiritual successor to his Avenging / Team-Up run. Given the belief that you somehow magically lose all story potential once Peter is married, Yost could explore another side to Peter, which would be the dynamic he has with other heroes. Or, although we don't know what will happen with Kaine in Spider-Verse, Yost could also continue some of the threads from his Scarlet Spider run, and maybe we could see other differences in The Regency that aren't specifically about Peter and MJ's marriage.

There's also Cullen Bunn. Like Yost, given how he was recently writing a Spider-Man satellite, he has an opportunity to continue his Venom run there. Considering how Mephisto was a major player near the end of it thanks to him following up on the Circle of Four arc, he could focus on any connection between One More Day and the marriage, though that does assume that Slott doesn't intend to have Mephisto be the villain of Renew Your Vows, which is entirely possible. Then again, if Mephisto were to appear in Renew Your Vows, then he doesn't have to just be limited to being an enemy to Peter, because Bunn could also spotlight Flash and Andi, although with Flash, that might depend on Bendis having his own plans for Guardians of the Galaxy. At the very least, we might see more setup for the Descent storyline. Or, to step away from Mephisto and OMD, he also wrote Deadpool vs. Carnage. Granted, with Gerry Duggan writing Nova, where Carnage will appear next, I could see him using Carnage instead, but since I brought up Yost's Scarlet Spider and Bunn's Venom, there could instead be a "sequel" to Minimum Carnage.

Since you bring up the fear about tie-ins, I might as well bring up my "map theories". Basically, I could see Secret Wars being divided into groups of "sub-events". How those sub-events are divide could be one of two things: Adjacent nations, or similar colors.

The "adjacent" nations would hinge on Renew Your Vows being the center of a sub-event, and while that would certainly work for Spider-Land (It's isolated and close enough, so I'll count it), Classified #6, King James' England, don't exactly strike me as stories that would automatically be "secondary" to The Regency. The whole point of Classified #6 is that we won't know what it is, but if it's MC2, which is not on the map, then I could see them dealing with how MC2 has been affected as a result of Spider-Verse. You could also do that to King James' England, but I'm not sure. K'un Lun would only really make sense if you were referencing Iron Fist being part of the Ultimate Spider-Man cartoon. Maybe Marvel would like Iron Fist to be seen as a supporting character to Spider-Man, but I'm just making that up to provide a possible tangential connection between Spider-Man and Iron Fist. However, while you could say that, well, it's Spider-Man, so there should be no problem having someone be secondary to him, the big problem is deciding what would be the "center". Plus, the example nations I have are also adjacent to other nations. Unless it was decided to group together some nations so that you wouldn't have to worry about that, that really hurts my theory, which is why it's not my preferred method of the two.

With the colors, given how The Regency is between red and pink, you could have it connected to Technopolis (The Armor Wars teaser, which, if you believe that Superior Iron Man is supposed to be riding the coattails of Superior Spider-Man, might work), Weirdworld, Utopolis, Classified #19, New Quack City, Hala Field, Limbo, and New Xandar (The Infinity Gauntlet teaser, though my expectations are that it's mainly for a possible Duggan-written sub-event). But again, that assumes that Renew Your Vows is supposed to be the center. Classified #19 is also a potential MC2 nation, but the rest… yeah, those have even less reason to work.

Granted, both possibilities could be completely wrong, and the map just looks that way because it was just decided that it should that way. Of course, given how Secret Wars is about other nations battling each other to see what will remain, that doesn't exactly mean that The Regency is the center of a possible sub-event, and everything else is tying into it. The "hierarchy" could easily just be Secret Wars > (Insert sub-event here) > Renew Your Vows. So the sub-event could be something more specific in Secret Wars, but bigger than Renew Your Vows, and Renew Your Vows is about where the Watson-Parker finds themselves in the midst of that sub-event. Now, as for who writes the sub-event that Renew Your Vows ties into? Hell if I know. Renew Your Vows could really just be its own thing. I could just randomly say something like, because there's an Iron Man in that Armor Wars teaser that looks like Galactus, and Galactus means Silver Surfer, that means Slott is writing the sub-event himself, and Renew Your Vows is just part of that, and if Slott is writing a sub-event, then it's totally the Reckoning War, but really, that's just trying to find patterns where none exist, then throwing them at a dartboard with my back turned and seeing which one doesn't just end up bouncing off my wall.

So that was a lot of rambling. Oh well.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by cyberhubbs View Post
    At least with MC2 you had Mayday's adventures
    MAYDAY'S adventures, not Peters, who sustained twenty years as a married man with no kids, I'm pretty sure he can stretch out another twenty as a father.

Stern doesn't like to write a married Peter Parker.
    Which is unfortunate because he was actually pretty awesome at that when instructed