Extraordinary Member Vanguard-01's Avatar

Default So, I've decided to start checking out Bronze Age Superman stories.......recommendations?

Title says it all. I've had people just lining up recently to tell me that I would probably really enjoy Bronze Age Superman's stories, and I've decided to take their advice and give it a try.

So? I'm looking for recommendations on where to begin. Specific issue numbers and/or story arcs would be most welcome.

Where should I start?
    Though much is taken, much abides; and though
    We are not now that strength which in old days
    Moved earth and heaven, that which we are, we are,
    One equal temper of heroic hearts,
    Made weak by time and fate, but strong in will
    To strive, to seek, to find, and not to yield.

--Lord Alfred Tennyson--

BANNED

A lot of the stories are just done in one issues, though they still do have this progressiveness.

Personally, I think getting Gil Kane's omnibus is good. Adventures of Superman: Gil Kane. Marv Wolfman writes the stories. Its very unique glimpse of what modern Superman could be. It doesnt have Curt Swans art, it has Gil's much more modern style.

My small complain is Marv sometimes writes personal drama a little too heavy. However some people might like that. Clark is more background and aloof despite being a news telecaster. Though he has strong interpersonal relationships, which makes for satisfying read into the other side of Superman.

Astonishing Member Johnny Thunders!'s Avatar

There are several great trades that DC has recently put together. The Phantom Zone by Steve Gerber, The Jose Luis Garcia Lopez Omnibus, the Gil Kane Omnibus, Kryptonite Nevermore, and Superman Vs. Muhammad Ali. I also recommend the Superman vs. SHAZAM /Captain Marvel trade. The Superman vs. Mongul trade and the B/W Showcase Presents of DC Comics Presents are not bad. "Who Took the Super Out of Superman " should be put out in trade. I also love the run of Superman comics from 300 - 310. I wish DC would do a Bates/ Maggin Omnibus. Or a Silver and Bronze Age omnibus like the recent Golden Age. Superman in the 70s is a nice sampler. Happy hunting! Add this to the Legion and JLA stuff, there is a ton of Bronze Age Superman to find.

Edit: The reprint quality of Kryptonite Nevermore and the missing Starlin stuff in the Mongul reprint are big deals. I think the Superman vs Spiderman stuff is worth tracking down. I think they are in the first Crossover Classics.
    Last edited by Johnny Thunders!; 12-30-2014 at 10:28 AM.

Superfan Through The Ages BBally's Avatar

It's a shame not a lot of the Maggin stories are collected.
    No matter how many reboots, new origins, reinterpretations or suit redesigns. In the end, he will always be SUPERMAN

Credit for avatar goes to zclark

When I first asked this question on the old DC Comics message boards, the first suggestion I got was the Sandman Superman stories. I impart similar advice to you.

Extraordinary Member Vanguard-01's Avatar

Cool! Sounds like I've got a nice list to start on!

Thanks, everybody!
    Though much is taken, much abides; and though
    We are not now that strength which in old days
    Moved earth and heaven, that which we are, we are,
    One equal temper of heroic hearts,
    Made weak by time and fate, but strong in will
    To strive, to seek, to find, and not to yield.

--Lord Alfred Tennyson--

Quote Originally Posted by DochaDocha View Post
    When I first asked this question on the old DC Comics message boards, the first suggestion I got was the Sandman Superman stories. I impart similar advice to you.
    This was outstanding art. Curt Swan inked by Murphy Anderson.

I prefer Silver Age Mort edited Superman Family stories over Bronze Age Julie Superman stories but, one could not beat the art team Julie put together, Curt inked by Murphy.

Astonishing Member Johnny Thunders!'s Avatar

I love the Bronze Age stuff and there is definitely a different tone, but I think that character shared silver age continuity. The characters reference some Silver Age stuff from time to time. There were no imaginary stories anymore. Anyways I love Action Comics 460-475 and Action Comics 500. Superman 400 is a must read. Those need to be deluxe formatted asap.

Actually Superman comics from 290 to 310 look solid! I bet they're cheap on line too.

All of DC Comics Presents which was a Superman team up title. I find it to be generally higher quality than the main books of the time.

Astonishing Member signalman112's Avatar

The 1st SUPERMAN comic I ever bought was in a Whitman-DC 3 Pack. SUPERMAN #330.

http://www.comics.org/issue/932583/

Bronze age is so much different than modern comics. I love all the 70's Superman stuff but that's what I started with. Give any of the above suggestions a try. Hopefully, you'll enjoy it!