Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234
    BANNED

As I see it right now, the MCU doesn't need to have three geniuses on the same team at the same time. I suppose it's personal preference so there's point in arguing that.

Quote Originally Posted by Rogue Star View Post
    As I see it right now, the MCU doesn't need to have three geniuses on the same team at the same time. I suppose it's personal preference so there's point in arguing that.
    I could argue the same about heavyweights, bulkmasters like Luke Cage, the Hulk and Thor, but one's on the Defenders, with only two on the Avengers, so maybe it works.

Maybe, three in the one universe isn't the problem, but on the same team? I don't know. Have more than one intelligent, and strong people, in real life, history and the planet, and I don't know if creative redundancy is such a problem, when people like Mister Freeze, Icicle, Captain Cold, Killer Frost and so on, exist in the same universe.

Quote Originally Posted by Luke Cage View Post
    So you mean to tell me that all he knows is gamma radiation? There were no other classes required for his doctorate? He is a scientist/physicist. His knowledge is more than gamma radiation. It's like you guys haven't read a Hulk comic. Well, maybe you haven't. The point is that he is more than his knowledge of radiation.

BannerTech Defensive Shielding : A force field shielding his entire body, along with anyone else he chooses, from any damage.
    Strength Augmentation : Banner can switch the energy of his shielding to Strength Augmentation allowing him to temporally become has strong as the Hulk.
    BannerTech Wrist-Watch Teleporter : A reverse-engineered wristwatch version of the Leaders teleporter.
    BannerTech Satchel : A pocket teleporter in a satchel, "Hand goes in the Satchel, comes out in Banners top secret Lab."
    BannerTech Robots : Banner has reverse-engineered and upgraded upon Life-Model-Decoys.
    BannerTech Old Power Taser : A gun-type weapon that shoots a beam of Old Power, at it's highest level, it's strong enough to kill wolverine with one blast.
    BannerTech Nanoparticulates : Nano-particles able to hack and disable technological weapons.
    BannerTech PDA : From which he can more directly influence his technology.
    Recently Marvel went TV stupid and had all it's scientist characters able to perform any sort of scientific feat because science is just one big subject that everyone that is a scientist knows about.

Quote Originally Posted by itspopularnowitsucks View Post
    Pym is Scientist Supreme. Being near omnipotent scientist is his thing. Bruce Banner is supposed to be #1 gamma radiation expert and Tony Stark is supposed to be machine building savant.
    IIRC, Loki said that he was masquerading as Eternity when Eternity gave Pym that label of "Scientist Supreme" label in order to manipulate Pym.

Not that I'd give it much stock in the label anyway considering that there's Reed Richards, Doom, High Evolutionary, and others just a touch above him (and the feats to prove it).
    Last edited by Cyke; 01-01-2015 at 04:16 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Cyke View Post
    IIRC, Loki said that he was masquerading as Eternity when Eternity gave Pym that label of "Scientist Supreme" label in order to manipulate Pym.

Not that I'd give it much stock in the label anyway considering that there's Reed Richards, Doom, High Evolutionary, and others just a touch above him (and the feats to prove it).
    We could always say the same about Doctor Strange, and say Dormammu, or Doctor Doom, or Brother Voodoo, or others, would be far more deserving.

And, feats? Man, it's not Rumbles, ya know!

No, regardless, Hank took up the title, ran with it and made it his own. It mattered, it saved people, it helped Doctor Pym and one of the Avengers teams.

But, up to people, whatever they think, Sorceror and Scientist wise. A stroke of a pen can make ANYONE Supreme. A retcon here, or a rewrite here... and Carlie Cooper's Scientist Supreme, with Baron Mordo Sorceror Supreme.

Our hearts and minds are a very different matter.

I'll leave that there.

Quote Originally Posted by Cyke View Post

This is classic Dan Slott: after coming up with ridiculous and outrageous materials (scientist supreme by eternity/squirrel girl beat thanos), run with it and run it to the ground (scientist supreme beat god and marry robots/unbeatable squirrel girl), then ambiguous retcon (Loki after being trapped and helpless, claims he gives the title as master plan/thanos says his clone cannot be distinguished even by Uatu).

BANNED

In the Avengers, Tony Stark became an expert in thermonuclear astrophysics overnight. Couldn't Bruce Banner do the same with learning how to build robots and stuff?

Quote Originally Posted by Sighphi View Post
    Recently Marvel went TV stupid and had all it's scientist characters able to perform any sort of scientific feat because science is just one big subject that everyone that is a scientist knows about.
    Scientists are allowed to have multiple fields of study. Science is one large encompassing thing with various fields of study and specialization. It's quite common for people to possess multiple skill sets. In all walks of life.

We should wait and see what Marvel dishes out first before making too big a deal out of a synopsis which is clearly using some clever word play in order to not to give too much away.

I've been told that computer science plays a big part for physicists and Banner couldn't have possibly helped build the machine that turned him into the Hulk if he didn't know anything about Engineering.

Quote Originally Posted by Rogue Star View Post
    I agree with that. As it is, the movie Avengers roster is one of the most balanced teams around, maybe not in terms of diversity but in terms of power and each member having a distinct skill set which they contribute to the team. Even the addition of Scarlet Witch, Quicksilver and Vision adds another layer to the team and each of them still stand out amongst the team without much overlap with each other.

On Avengers: EMH, the main science bros are Tony and Pym so T'Challa and Banner's science backgrounds don't get as much focus on emphasis. In the movie universe it's the opposite; the absence of Pym meant that Banner's science background is further emphasized and thus creates a greater contrasts when he changes from a meek super scientists to a raging monster.
    Last edited by John Venus; 01-02-2015 at 02:11 AM.

The CBR Community Guidelines & Rules
    | Report but also PM me directly

Quote Originally Posted by Luke Cage View Post
    Scientists are allowed to have multiple fields of study. Science is one large encompassing thing with various fields of study and specialization. It's quite common for people to possess multiple skill sets. In all walks of life.
    It would be fine if it was a couple fields but comic book scientists now are experts in whatever field the current writer feels like.