Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by LadyChina View Post
    Yes but you know in the movie Mission Impossible, Tom Cruise is larger than in reality in the movie Mission Impossible. Then is not a reason Shona McGarty could not play Wonder Woman. Like the character Wonder Woman, Shona McGarty has blue eyes, black hair and she obviously has the physique of a bombshell.
    Are you seriously comparing Tom Cruise, one of the biggest A-list movie stars in the world AND for whom all kinds of logical rules are broken on behalf of his real-life 5'7" stature, to Shonta McGarty, whose last starring role was ... (checks imdb) ... the tv series EASTENDERS?

A-list Hollywood stars have what's called "drawing power". Tom Cruise's presence (wacky off-screen antics aside) alone ensures a major motion picture even gets made in the first place.

Shona McGarty has even less drawing power than Gal Gadot (who has very little of her own), which is one of the reasons why the cinematic Wonder Woman is being soft-launched in BATMAN V SUPERMAN in 2016 instead a hard-launch in her own solo movie in 2017.

Wonder Woman has been getting taller, not shorter, in the comics. Her height is one of her visual trademarks. Lynda Carter was 5'8"/5'9" (without heels) in the 1970s WONDER WOMAN tv show, clearly taller than the average American woman. Gal Gadot, at 5'9"/5'10" (without heels), is taller than Lynda Carter. Shona is 5'3" (without heels), shorter than the average American woman.

WB will not cast a shorter-than-average nobody with zero drawing power to play Wonder Woman in any live-action medium, any more than they would have cast Christopher Reeve if he had been 5'7" in height (since he was also a nobody with zero drawing power of his own at the time) instead of the 6'4" he actually was.

Hair color can be dyed or wigged on. Eye color can be changed with contact lenses. Body shape can be altered with workout and diet (among other options). But height as a pre-requisite is a lot harder to get around, especially if you AREN'T an A-lister already.

Personally, I would have gone with THE GREAT GATSBY's Elizabeth Debicki, who stands 6'3" (without heels), is 24 years old currently, can act and has the face.

Last edited by daBronzeBomma; 02-09-2015 at 11:34 AM.

I don't know why any Wonder Woman fan would skip a Wonder Woman movie let alone her debut on film. All it does is hurt the character. Even if you don't like the actor, director, etc., making it a successful franchise will encourage more Wonder Women content including different versions, which may include ones that you love. Look at all the different versions of Batman and Superman. They're still rebooting Spider-man because he's a cash cow.

They LAUGHED at my theory SteveGus's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Mad Love View Post
    I don't know why any Wonder Woman fan would skip a Wonder Woman movie let alone her debut on film. All it does is hurt the character.
    I am or was a Wonder Woman fan. I am not a fan of the daughter of Zeus character. That character does not interest me at all. I won't be bait and switched into a movie that says it has Wonder Woman in it when all that it actually has is the daughter of Zeus.

Especially not if she's debuting in a Man of Steel sequel, which does not interest me either.
    "At what point do we say, 'You're mucking with our myths'?" - Harlan Ellison

Spectacular Member

Quote Originally Posted by SteveGus View Post
    I am or was a Wonder Woman fan. I am not a fan of the daughter of Zeus character. That character does not interest me at all. I won't be bait and switched into a movie that says it has Wonder Woman in it when all that it actually has is the daughter of Zeus.

Especially not if she's debuting in a Man of Steel sequel, which does not interest me either.
    Yes, all it does is encourage them to make the wrong Wonder Woman content.

I'd rather this move tank, and tank so hard that they don't make a sequel so they can reboot 5 years later than have to wait 20 years for supporting this one. The sooner this iteration of Wonder Woman is out of the way, the sooner a better one can come along.

I'd rather support something like Captain Marvel so wholeheartedly that DC goes, "Hey, maybe we should make a Wonder Woman movie and stick to the elements that have worked, and not the ones we introduced in the New52 which we're currently trying to backpedal from."

Shona McGarty is five-THREE! Too short...
    COMBINING THE BIGBADITUDE OF THANOS WITH CHEETAH'S FEROCITY, IS JANUS WONDER WOMAN'S GREATEST SUPERVILLAIN?...on WONDABUNGA!!! Look alive, Kangaliers!

Quote Originally Posted by EuphemismForSex View Post

I'd rather this move tank, and tank so hard that they don't make a sequel so they can reboot 5 years later than have to wait 20 years for supporting this one. The sooner this iteration of Wonder Woman is out of the way, the sooner a better one can come along.

I'd rather support something like Captain Marvel so wholeheartedly that DC goes, "Hey, maybe we should make a Wonder Woman movie and stick to the elements that have worked, and not the ones we introduced in the New52 which we're currently trying to backpedal from."
    This, absolutely.
    This from someone who liked Mos, would probably like BvS and has nothing against Gal Gadot (even if she isn't my ideal WW actress).

So much wrong-headed wishful thinking here.

Wonder Woman the character may be on par with Superman and Batman.

Wonder Woman the franchise is clearly not. It will not get second chances after failures like its elder sibling franchises frequently do.

If the solo Wonder Woman movie in 2017 does tank financially, all that means is there will be no further solo Wonder Woman movies of any kind for a very long time ... in fact, probably not until the entire DCCU mega-franchise runs its course. DCE will not reboot any character once they've been introduced into the shared DCCU for a long, long time.

If Wonder Woman is introduced in BATMAN V SUPERMAN next year, and then her solo movie tanks, she's not getting another solo movie until they start re-casting the other tentpole characters, i.e. AFTER Henry and Ben hang up their cape and cowl for good ... (so mid 2020s at the earliest). She'll just show up in the JUSTICE LEAGUE movies.

Look at the Hulk movie from 2008. It didn't do well enough financially. When's his next solo movie? No clue. Cap got a sequel, Thor got a sequel, Iron Man got 2 sequels. Hulk just shows up in AVENGERS movies now.

See the GREEN LANTERN movie from 2011. It tanked, and now GL fans have to wait almost 10 years for another shot at the big time (2020 at the earliest).

And you want that future for Wonder Woman? OK, then.

And this iteration of Wonder Woman isn't going anywhere. Sorry, DC is not likely to ever to revert back to the clay origin, and once the Daughter of Zeus origin shows up in BvS and WW1, that will become the definitive origin for millions of casual non-comic-book-reading fans of the character across the world going forward.

I plan on watching CAPTAIN MARVEL as well (since it's been pushed back to 2018 due to Spider-Man entering the MCCU), but considering her own comics history has been screwed with so much more than Wonder Woman's, your hope that its success will change DC's mind on WW is already in vain.

Fantastic Member

I agree. What they are doing is the wrong way to introduce WW to the mainstream, IMO. I think it is going to tank.

They LAUGHED at my theory SteveGus's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by daBronzeBomma View Post
    If Wonder Woman is introduced in BATMAN V SUPERMAN next year, and then her solo movie tanks, she's not getting another solo movie until they start re-casting the other tentpole characters, i.e. AFTER Henry and Ben hang up their cape and cowl for good ... (so mid 2020s at the earliest).
    What I see happening instead is Batman vs. Superman itself tanking very very hard. Especially if they're going to continue the ashen mood from Man of Steel. Especially if it's yet another rehash of The Dark Knight, and features Batman beating Superman and Superman being banished from Earth as a menace. (Which makes sense in the Man of Steel universe, but has nothing to do with any version of Superman I want to watch on screen.)

I can easily see the tiresome and unpleasant movie I fear this will turn out to be losing millions. Whatever screen time she gets in Batman vs. Superman is all that the Daughter of Zeus character is ever going to get. There won't be a DoZ/"Wonder Woman" solo movie ever released, nor will there be a Batman vs. Superman part 2 that will ever see the light of day. And Wonder Woman's fans will be in the same situation they've always been in.

Perhaps there will some day be a Wonder Woman solo movie made. When that time comes, I hope it has nothing to do with the damaged Man of Steel universe, and features Wonder Woman rather than Daughter of Zeus.
    "At what point do we say, 'You're mucking with our myths'?" - Harlan Ellison

I don't think they are trying to backpedal from the New 52...In fact DC is clearly using the New 52 as a base for their movies.
    #InGunnITrust, #ZackSnyderistheBlueprint, #ReleasetheAyerCut

And this iteration of Wonder Woman isn't going anywhere. Sorry, DC is not likely to ever to revert back to the clay origin, and once the Daughter of Zeus origin shows up in BvS and WW1, that will become the definitive origin for millions of casual non-comic-book-reading fans of the character across the world going forward.
    I'm sure a lot of Batfans felt the same way about Helena Wayne coming back. Or Barbara Gordon walking again.

Anyway, I don't want the WW movie to tank. That, however, doesn't mean I won't criticize it if I think there are things to criticize. And we must remember that just because a film makes money doesn't mean it's good.

BANNED

What I see happening instead is Batman vs. Superman itself tanking very very hard. Especially if they're going to continue the ashen mood from Man of Steel. Especially if it's yet another rehash of The Dark Knight, and features Batman beating Superman and Superman being banished from Earth as a menace. (Which makes sense in the Man of Steel universe, but has nothing to do with any version of Superman I want to watch on screen.)

I can easily see the tiresome and unpleasant movie I fear this will turn out to be losing millions. Whatever screen time she gets in Batman vs. Superman is all that the Daughter of Zeus character is ever going to get. There won't be a DoZ/"Wonder Woman" solo movie ever released, nor will there be a Batman vs. Superman part 2 that will ever see the light of day. And Wonder Woman's fans will be in the same situation they've always been in.

Perhaps there will some day be a Wonder Woman solo movie made. When that time comes, I hope it has nothing to do with the damaged Man of Steel universe, and features Wonder Woman rather than Daughter of Zeus.
    I am so torn about this post, and about your opinions on WW in general.

I share your distaste for DoZ Wonder Woman. Its trite and dull and boring and uninspired.

But I LIKED Man of Steel. I enjoyed it a lot. And I want to see more like that. So I don't want to see it tank. And I don't think it will.

Quote Originally Posted by Agent Z View Post
    I'm sure a lot of Batfans felt the same way about Helena Wayne coming back. Or Barbara Gordon walking again.

Anyway, I don't want the WW movie to tank. That, however, doesn't mean I won't criticize it if I think there are things to criticize. And we must remember that just because a film makes money doesn't mean it's good.
    I agree ... regardless of things that will invariably make me unhappy with any WW film I want to see it succeed financially ... financial success breeds new opportunities for films that perhaps I'll enjoy (assuming I don't enjoy the first). Criticism is natural for anything but refusing to even see the material before it even has a script is just a sour grapes mentality IMO

Spectacular Member

So much wrong-headed wishful thinking here.

Wonder Woman the character may be on par with Superman and Batman.

Wonder Woman the franchise is clearly not. It will not get second chances after failures like its elder sibling franchises frequently do.

If the solo Wonder Woman movie in 2017 does tank financially, all that means is there will be no further solo Wonder Woman movies of any kind for a very long time ... in fact, probably not until the entire DCCU mega-franchise runs its course. DCE will not reboot any character once they've been introduced into the shared DCCU for a long, long time.

If Wonder Woman is introduced in BATMAN V SUPERMAN next year, and then her solo movie tanks, she's not getting another solo movie until they start re-casting the other tentpole characters, i.e. AFTER Henry and Ben hang up their cape and cowl for good ... (so mid 2020s at the earliest). She'll just show up in the JUSTICE LEAGUE movies.

Look at the Hulk movie from 2008. It didn't do well enough financially. When's his next solo movie? No clue. Cap got a sequel, Thor got a sequel, Iron Man got 2 sequels. Hulk just shows up in AVENGERS movies now.

See the GREEN LANTERN movie from 2011. It tanked, and now GL fans have to wait almost 10 years for another shot at the big time (2020 at the earliest).

And you want that future for Wonder Woman? OK, then.

I plan on watching CAPTAIN MARVEL as well (since it's been pushed back to 2018 due to Spider-Man entering the MCCU), but considering her own comics history has been screwed with so much more than Wonder Woman's, your hope that its success will change DC's mind on WW is already in vain.
    Wonder Woman will definitely get second chances. She's part of a trinity and one of the most iconic female superheroes of all time. The entire reason we're getting films like Wonder Woman and Captain Marvel is because audience sensibilities are changing. It's time for female lead movies, PoC lead movies. That'll only increase as time goes on.

Maybe 5 years is optimistic, but all I know is that we'll get it sooner the sooner DC knows this version isn't working. 10 years is better than 20.

Also... I find it funny you bring up the Incredible Hulk. That film was made after Marvel reacquired the rights after the even worse Hulk . It is both a loose sequel/reboot to Hulk, as well as an instance of a character that was received poorly getting a second chance only 5 years later. If Hulk could get one, so could Wonder Woman. They just need to not run into the problem of making another average movie. Speaking of the Incredible Hulk, that film performed poorly and they hired a new actor with a new characterization and who ultimately eclipsed Edward Norton in popularity in his debut film. Incredible Hulk itself may as well not exist, it's virtually never referenced in the larger MCU, and that doesn't detract from Mark Ruffalo's popularity. Of course they got Mark for a different reason than we would need a new WW (that is, not people disliking Edward's OOC version and the TPTB realizing it they needed to course correct.)

As for Captain Marvel... she'd need a lot more screw ups before it amounted to the one that changed WW to what it is now.
    Ultimately, I'm going to practice basic economic theory and vote with my wallet. The availability of alternatives like Captain Marvel means DC doesn't have a leg to stand on if they want to push this WW on me. I like WW too much for that.
    Last edited by EuphemismForSex; 02-12-2015 at 12:14 PM.

BANNED

Christ, you'd think reading this post that Man of Steel or the Nolan trilogy made no money whatsoever.

Superman being banished from Earth as a menace. (Which makes sense in the Man of Steel universe
    There's absolutely nothing in Man of Steel that suggests this makes the slightest bit of sense in its universe. Like, not even a little. Superman wasn't regarded as a menace by anyone as the movie ended, he was just distrusted by the US government (who are, as ever, the US government). It ends on him smiling as Lois welcomes him in.

These bizarre doomsday scenarios are really starting to go too far.
    Last edited by LoneNecromancer; 02-12-2015 at 12:07 PM.