Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Hawk80 View Post
    I agree, but being an alien is part of who he is as a character. You certainly can tell a story about a bringer of hope without the alien origin, but you can't tell a Superman story without both the alien origin and the bringer of hope theme.
    I respectfully disagree.

Superman could just as easily been a 'mutant' who society would not be able to accept as one of their own and still been Superman.

The idea behind the core of the character doesn't hinge on him being Kryptonian or alien; it hinges on how he is so different from the average person that he has to hide his true identity in order to live among them. He was raised by kind and generous people and taught to help others, but the power he has is pretty scary to normal folks, so he can't be who he is (the ultimately powerful man) and blend in with society.

He could just as easily have been an incarnation of Apollo or a genetic experiment and the concept still holds.

He doesn't bring hope to the world because he's from a distant planet - he brings hope to the world because he has the power to rule and dominate but instead chooses to help and protect people.

Diana, on the other hand, used to be an inspiration because she chose to leave 'paradise' in order to help and inspire the world. She wasn't driven by tragedy but just the opposite - she'd been raised to believe in herself, to love and be loved by those around her, and so she wants to teach others how to do the same. Superman saves, Wonder Woman inspires.

Changing her to the daughter of Zeus who was raised amidst lies about her origin and nature in a barbaric society where she was treated as an outcast to the point that she wanted her 'ticket out' completely changes the dynamic of the character, imo, and not for the better. She becomes like so many other heroes; overcoming some obstacle/tragedy/issue in order to excel and shine. She becomes a 'hero' by escaping her home and fleeing to the outside world, not by choosing to leave a better world behind to help others better their own lives and world.

Quote Originally Posted by Gaelforce View Post
    I respectfully disagree.

Superman could just as easily been a 'mutant' who society would not be able to accept as one of their own and still been Superman.

The idea behind the core of the character doesn't hinge on him being Kryptonian or alien; it hinges on how he is so different from the average person that he has to hide his true identity in order to live among them. He was raised by kind and generous people and taught to help others, but the power he has is pretty scary to normal folks, so he can't be who he is (the ultimately powerful man) and blend in with society.

He could just as easily have been an incarnation of Apollo or a genetic experiment and the concept still holds.

He doesn't bring hope to the world because he's from a distant planet - he brings hope to the world because he has the power to rule and dominate but instead chooses to help and protect people.

Diana, on the other hand, used to be an inspiration because she chose to leave 'paradise' in order to help and inspire the world. She wasn't driven by tragedy but just the opposite - she'd been raised to believe in herself, to love and be loved by those around her, and so she wants to teach others how to do the same. Superman saves, Wonder Woman inspires.

Changing her to the daughter of Zeus who was raised amidst lies about her origin and nature in a barbaric society where she was treated as an outcast to the point that she wanted her 'ticket out' completely changes the dynamic of the character, imo, and not for the better. She becomes like so many other heroes; overcoming some obstacle/tragedy/issue in order to excel and shine. She becomes a 'hero' by escaping her home and fleeing to the outside world, not by choosing to leave a better world behind to help others better their own lives and world.
    On WW: 120% agree with you.

On Superman: bringer of hope and alien from Krypton are not correlated, of course. I was just saying that both bringer-of-hope and alien-from-krypton are essential parts of Superman as a character. When you tell a story about Superman, he is from Krypton and he is a bringer of hope (I am semplifying, obviously). If you tell a story about incarnation-of-Apollo-Superman (nothing wrong in doing this) it's something set in an elseworld, not different from Red Son Superman or Injustice Superman. I would never be ok with the idea of cementing those elseworld superman as the real/standard/main Superman.

All-New Member

Quote Originally Posted by Mel Dyer View Post
    Shona McGarty is five-THREE! Too short...
    Yes but you know in the movie Mission Impossible, Tom Cruise is larger than in reality in the movie Mission Impossible. Then is not a reason Shona McGarty could not play Wonder Woman. Like the character Wonder Woman, Shona McGarty has blue eyes, black hair and she obviously has the physique of a bombshell.

Quote Originally Posted by Gaelforce View Post
    I respectfully disagree.

Respectfully disagree.

Superman HAS to be an alien. Particularly an alien from a planet to which he can't go back. You know why? He's the sci-fi embodiment of the American Dream. He's become known as the ultimate immigrant: someone who fled the Old World and found refuge, and then success undreamed of, in this New World. That's why, at least in America (a land continually built by immigrants) for many, many decades, he was so successful in finding an audience no matter what the medium. The extra-terrestrial aspect of his origin is crucial.

I'd also argue that Superman and Wonder Woman both inspire AND save in roughly equal percentages.

With regard to the DCCU WW, all we think we know is that she'll literally be the DoZ, not that director(s) of Bvs/JL1/JL2/WW1 will use any or all of the other trappings of Azz's origin revamp. My guess is they'll keep the Daddy Zeus + Mommy Hippolyta natural birth for Diana, but hopefully change up everything else to fit the story (i.e. less barbaric / more enlightened Amazons, no sex-murder parties, etc). We'll see. Pretty sure it won't be an exact adaptation at all.

Quote Originally Posted by LadyChina View Post
    Yes but you know in the movie Mission Impossible, Tom Cruise is larger than in reality in the movie Mission Impossible. Then is not a reason Shona McGarty could not play Wonder Woman. Like the character Wonder Woman, Shona McGarty has blue eyes, black hair and she obviously has the physique of a bombshell.

Wrong. The movie studios will bend the physical requirements for Shona when she is an A-lister box office draw like Tom Cruise, and not one moment before. No one wants a shorter-than-average "mighty mite" Diana.

All-New Member

Quote Originally Posted by daBronzeBomma View Post
    Are you seriously comparing Tom Cruise, one of the biggest A-list movie stars in the world AND for whom all kinds of logical rules are broken on behalf of his real-life 5'7" stature, to Shonta McGarty, whose last starring role was ... (checks imdb) ... the tv series EASTENDERS?

A-list Hollywood stars have what's called "drawing power". Tom Cruise's presence (wacky off-screen antics aside) alone ensures a major motion picture even gets made in the first place.

Shona McGarty has even less drawing power than Gal Gadot (who has very little of her own), which is one of the reasons why the cinematic Wonder Woman is being soft-launched in BATMAN V SUPERMAN in 2016 instead a hard-launch in her own solo movie in 2017.

Wonder Woman has been getting taller, not shorter, in the comics. Her height is one of her visual trademarks. Lynda Carter was 5'8"/5'9" (without heels) in the 1970s WONDER WOMAN tv show, clearly taller than the average American woman. Gal Gadot, at 5'9"/5'10" (without heels), is taller than Lynda Carter. Shona is 5'3" (without heels), shorter than the average American woman.

WB will not cast a shorter-than-average nobody with zero drawing power to play Wonder Woman in any live-action medium, any more than they would have cast Christopher Reeve if he had been 5'7" in height (since he was also a nobody with zero drawing power of his own at the time) instead of the 6'4" he actually was.

Hair color can be dyed or wigged on. Eye color can be changed with contact lenses. Body shape can be altered with workout and diet (among other options). But height as a pre-requisite is a lot harder to get around, especially if you AREN'T an A-lister already.

Personally, I would have gone with THE GREAT GATSBY's Elizabeth Debicki, who stands 6'3" (without heels), is 24 years old currently, can act and has the face.

Ok, thank you for making me discover Elizabeth Debicki. I think she could be my new top 6 of my top 10 actresses I'd like to see played Wonder Woman.

Here are my top 10:
    1. Shona McGarty
    2. Megan Fox
    3. Serinda Swan
    4. Bridget Regan
    5. Adrianne Palicki
    6. Elizabeth Debicki
    7. Jessica Stroup
    8. Jessica Lowndes
    9. Katie McGrath
    10. Allison Williams
    I know Shona McGarty is not great. But when I saw her picture, she had black hair, blue eyes and the famous hourglass silhouette. The famous hourglass figure that is typical to bombshell. I thought Shona McGarty to be Wonder Woman in the future.
    15792.jpg
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by LadyChina; 02-13-2015 at 04:34 PM.

They LAUGHED at my theory SteveGus's Avatar

Superman HAS to be an alien. Particularly an alien from a planet to which he can't go back. You know why? He's the sci-fi embodiment of the American Dream. He's become known as the ultimate immigrant: someone who fled the Old World and found refuge, and then success undreamed of, in this New World. That's why, at least in America (a land continually built by immigrants) for many, many decades, he was so successful in finding an audience no matter what the medium. The extra-terrestrial aspect of his origin is crucial.
    For the same reason, the Paradise Island that Wonder Woman is from actually has to be an earthly paradise and an ideal society. The point of the character is that she left such a place of her own volition to share its virtues with the outside world. The utopian aspect of her origin is crucial.

The DoZ character has none of that, and has an uninteresting origin. DC will not stop trying to cram DoZ down our throats as a substitute for Wonder Woman while people remain willing to accept her usurping the role. And for the past six years we've had nothing but a steady diet of Paradise Island and Amazons being killed off or degraded. I had hoped the Finches would change that; they chose instead to degrade Donna. I've shown my disapproval of this rubbish the only way I can; I'm not buying it. And likewise I'm not buying into a movie that claims to have Wonder Woman in it but really only has DoZ.
    "At what point do we say, 'You're mucking with our myths'?" - Harlan Ellison

All-New Member

Are you seriously comparing Tom Cruise, one of the biggest A-list movie stars in the world AND for whom all kinds of logical rules are broken on behalf of his real-life 5'7" stature, to Shonta McGarty, whose last starring role was ... (checks imdb) ... the tv series EASTENDERS?

A-list Hollywood stars have what's called "drawing power". Tom Cruise's presence (wacky off-screen antics aside) alone ensures a major motion picture even gets made in the first place.

Shona McGarty has even less drawing power than Gal Gadot (who has very little of her own), which is one of the reasons why the cinematic Wonder Woman is being soft-launched in BATMAN V SUPERMAN in 2016 instead a hard-launch in her own solo movie in 2017.

Wonder Woman has been getting taller, not shorter, in the comics. Her height is one of her visual trademarks. Lynda Carter was 5'8"/5'9" (without heels) in the 1970s WONDER WOMAN tv show, clearly taller than the average American woman. Gal Gadot, at 5'9"/5'10" (without heels), is taller than Lynda Carter. Shona is 5'3" (without heels), shorter than the average American woman.

WB will not cast a shorter-than-average nobody with zero drawing power to play Wonder Woman in any live-action medium, any more than they would have cast Christopher Reeve if he had been 5'7" in height (since he was also a nobody with zero drawing power of his own at the time) instead of the 6'4" he actually was.

Hair color can be dyed or wigged on. Eye color can be changed with contact lenses. Body shape can be altered with workout and diet (among other options). But height as a pre-requisite is a lot harder to get around, especially if you AREN'T an A-lister already.

Personally, I would have gone with THE GREAT GATSBY's Elizabeth Debicki, who stands 6'3" (without heels), is 24 years old currently, can act and has the face.

Ok, thank you for making me discover Elizabeth Debicki. I think she could be my new top 6 of my top 10 actresses I'd like to see played Wonder Woman.

Here are my top 10:
    uNHnypq.jpg

All-New Member

Here are my top 10:
    1. Shona McGarty
    2. Megan Fox
    3. Serinda Swan
    4. Bridget Regan
    5. Adrianne Palicki
    6. Elizabeth Debicki
    7. Jessica Stroup
    8. Jessica Lowndes
    9. Katie McGrath
    10. Allison Williams
    Last edited by LadyChina; 02-13-2015 at 04:42 PM.

All-New Member

I know Shona McGarty is not great. But when I saw her picture, she had black hair, blue eyes and the famous hourglass silhouette. The famous hourglass figure that is typical to bombshell. I thought Shona McGarty to be Wonder Woman in the future.

Fantastic Member

Gal will be a great Wonder Woman and will see her popularity soar once Batman v Superman is released because the majority of personal opinions on who should/could play the role are primarily based on if the person with said opinion finds the woman hot and/or as she wears some skin tight outfit while kicking ass. Every time a new actress (known or unknown) appears in a movie where she kicks someone's butt (no matter how little she actually fits the part) she gets thrown into the "she should play Wonder Woman" pot. Gal's only faults are that she didn't beat up a cadre of guys in the "Fast and the Furious" movies and she wasn't a top fan pick for the part. "Jamie Alexander would be perfect", "Gal Gadot is too short and too small to play the role"...Who cares that Jamie is shorter than Gal and no bigger than Gal...the difference? She's been seen kicking butt in the "Thor" movies. As for her "embodying" the character; she's a fine actress and that's her job and she will do it well. Julia Roberts or Scarlett Johanson or Jessica Alba or some 5'2 semi-actress (all ridiculous suggestions) don't "embody" an amazonian demi-god any more or any less that Gal does. Diana is a gorgeous, brunette, tall woman...Gal has this covered. Beyond that, it's a character, Gal's an actress, Gall will play the character.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Stromberg View Post
    Gal will be a great Wonder Woman and will see her popularity soar once Batman v Superman is released because the majority of personal opinions on who should/could play the role are primarily based on if the person with said opinion finds the woman hot and/or as she wears some skin tight outfit while kicking ass. Every time a new actress (known or unknown) appears in a movie where she kicks someone's butt (no matter how little she actually fits the part) she gets thrown into the "she should play Wonder Woman" pot. Gal's only faults are that she didn't beat up a cadre of guys in the "Fast and the Furious" movies and she wasn't a top fan pick for the part. "Jamie Alexander would be perfect", "Gal Gadot is too short and too small to play the role"...Who cares that Jamie is shorter than Gal and no bigger than Gal...the difference? She's been seen kicking butt in the "Thor" movies. As for her "embodying" the character; she's a fine actress and that's her job and she will do it well. Julia Roberts or Scarlett Johanson or Jessica Alba or some 5'2 semi-actress (all ridiculous suggestions) don't "embody" an amazonian demi-god any more or any less that Gal does. Diana is a gorgeous, brunette, tall woman...Gal has this covered. Beyond that, it's a character, Gal's an actress, Gall will play the character.
    You've repeated these statements before. Before we even see her on the screen, you are already saying that Gal will be a great Wonder Woman-----why is the question?!? What has Gal done to deserve anybody thinking she will be great for the part? Maybe we should wait and see how her small role in BvS plays out before we can make those projections. Will Zak Snyder have her kicking ass on the big screen---I have no doubt he will because even if he isn't a great director, he can sure do action scenes well.

As for Gal, she is tall, she has a pretty face, but that is it. Her Xenaesque costume isn't giving me any fanboy chills. And after a year of weight training, the photos of her presently don't seem to give me the impression that she has done anything other than bulk up her tiny frame to what I would call just 'skinny' now.

Maybe she will impress, but then again I believe you were one of the most ardent fans of the Palicki debacle and we can see how that turned out. Although, DEK should never have been given the reigns for Wonder Woman in the first place. And as much as it pains me to say this, I would take Palicki over Gadot, but then again only with respect to those two choices and nothing else.

Fantastic Member

Quote Originally Posted by wagthedog View Post
    You've repeated these statements before. Before we even see her on the screen, you are already saying that Gal will be a great Wonder Woman-----why is the question?!? What has Gal done to deserve anybody thinking she will be great for the part? Maybe we should wait and see how her small role in BvS plays out before we can make those projections. Will Zak Snyder have her kicking ass on the big screen---I have no doubt he will because even if he isn't a great director, he can sure do action scenes well.

As for Gal, she is tall, she has a pretty face, but that is it. Her Xenaesque costume isn't giving me any fanboy chills. And after a year of weight training, the photos of her presently don't seem to give me the impression that she has done anything other than bulk up her tiny frame to what I would call just 'skinny' now.

Maybe she will impress, but then again I believe you were one of the most ardent fans of the Palicki debacle and we can see how that turned out. Although, DEK should never have been given the reigns for Wonder Woman in the first place. And as much as it pains me to say this, I would take Palicki over Gadot, but then again only with respect to those two choices and nothing else.
    Actually, thank you for making my point for me; Adrianne Palicki is a perfect example of what I'm talking about. When that show was being made the negative comments that flooded the internet weren't just about the concepts they were hearing about the show itself. A large amount, if not the majority of the nastiest comments were about Adrianne herself; "I thought Diana was supposed to be beautiful, this chick is ugly", "She's got gross fake boobs, that's not right for Diana", "She needs to get plastic surgery to get the moles removed from her face", "She's got a fat stomach", "She hasn't got a butt", "Her wig looks cheap" (even though it was her hair), "She looks like she has downs syndrome"...A few years later and no one really has anything bad to say about Adrianne and when actresses who should play the role are listed, she's almost always on the list...the difference, she's now a more known commodity to the fan boys and she has been seen kicking butt in "Red Dawn", "GI Joe" and "Agents of SHIELD"

Another example would be Katie Cassidy in "Arrow"; For the past 2 1/2 season people have railed against this character and this actress. HORRIBLE things have been said about her going so far as wanting to kill off the character of Dinah and keeping a adultress murderer (Sara) in the role of Black Canary. The day after Katie debuted as Black Canary (2 seconds in black leather and beating up 2 guys) and the worst comment I could find about Katie/Laurel was "Ya know, I didn't like the idea of Laurel becoming Black Canary but this might grow on me" and the majority of comments were more positive like; " Laurel was the best part of this episode." and still over-all, 4 weeks later, there still isn't much negative being said about her...Because she puts on black leather and hits people. That's the difference.

And yes, I did defend the Wonder Woman pilot...for the very reason you're pointing out now. Everyone was judging it (and Adrianne) without having seen it. Just as they're doing with Gal. After the pilot came out online, sure it had a lot of problems...Adrianne was not one of them. As for Gal, I can base my opinion of her on the fact that I've seen her act and though the "Fast and the Furious" movies aren't acting showcases for any of the actors in them (many of who are proven solid actors), what Gal is good at is reacting believably and realistically which any actor will tell you is one of the main things one has to do to be a good actor. 90% of acting is reacting. Combine this with the fact that she auditioned...They aren't going to risk billions of dollars on someone that they think might be able to be okay in the role...She did the best job. She'll be fine.
    Last edited by Stromberg; 02-20-2015 at 12:34 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Stromberg View Post
    Actually, thank you for making my point for me; Adrianne Palicki is a perfect example of what I'm talking about. When that show was being made the negative comments that flooded the internet weren't just about the concepts they were hearing about the show itself. A large amount, if not the majority of the nastiest comments were about Adrianne herself; "I thought Diana was supposed to be beautiful, this chick is ugly", "She's got gross fake boobs, that's not right for Diana", "She needs to get plastic surgery to get the moles removed from her face", "She's got a fat stomach", "She hasn't got a butt", "Her wig looks cheap" (even though it was her hair), "She looks like she has downs syndrome"...A few years later and no one really has anything bad to say about Adrianne and when actresses who should play the role are listed, she's almost always on the list...the difference, she's now a more known commodity to the fan boys and she has been seen kicking butt in "Red Dawn", "GI Joe" and "Agents of SHIELD"

Another example would be Katie Cassidy in "Arrow"; For the past 2 1/2 season people have railed against this character and this actress. HORRIBLE things have been said about her going so far as wanting to kill off the character of Dinah and keeping a adultress murderer (Sara) in the role of Black Canary. The day after Katie debuted as Black Canary (2 seconds in black leather and beating up 2 guys) and the worst comment I could find about Katie/Laurel was "Ya know, I didn't like the idea of Laurel becoming Black Canary but this might grow on me" and the majority of comments were more positive like; " Laurel was the best part of this episode." and still over-all, 4 weeks later, there still isn't much negative being said about her...Because she puts on black leather and hits people. That's the difference.

And yes, I did defend the Wonder Woman pilot...for the very reason you're pointing out now. Everyone was judging it (and Adrianne) without having seen it. Just as they're doing with Gal. After the pilot came out online, sure it had a lot of problems...Adrianne was not one of them. As for Gal, I can base my opinion of her on the fact that I've seen her act and though the "Fast and the Furious" movies aren't acting showcases for any of the actors in them (many of who are proven solid actors), what Gal is good at is reacting believably and realistically which any actor will tell you is one of the main things one has to do to be a good actor. 90% of acting is reacting. Combine this with the fact that she auditioned...They aren't going to risk billions of dollars on someone that they think might be able to be okay in the role...She did the best job. She'll be fine.
    Personally speaking as someone who saw that pilot I can assure you it deserved every ounce of criticism it got. Well except maybe Palicki being a bad actress or a poor fit for the character. She just had to deal with what she was given.

Fantastic Member

Quote Originally Posted by Agent Z View Post
    Personally speaking as someone who saw that pilot I can assure you it deserved every ounce of criticism it got. Well except maybe Palicki being a bad actress or a poor fit for the character. She just had to deal with what she was given.
    Right. That's why I said it had a lot of problems but Adrianne wasn't one of them. I wasn't talking about the pilot, but the unfair criticism actresses get without ever being seen and how that criticism typically changes to praise once people see the actress in action.

With Gal, the fact is, the "Man of Steel" franchise is populated with highly respected actors many of whom have been nominated for and/or won Academy Awards (Kevin Costner, Russell Crowe, Diane Lane, Amy Adams, Lawrence Fishburne, Jesse Eisenberg, Ben Affleck, Jeremy Irons) and in her audition, Gal was good enough that she not only convinced the powers that be that she was the right person for this part, but that she could stand shoulder to shoulder with this caliber of performer and that she could carry a potential billion dollar franchise on her own. This is a business. They aren't going to trust all of this to Gal because someone involved with the casting thought; "Gosh, shucks, she's purty". It's because these experienced people saw something that convinced them that she was the right person to play Wonder Woman.

BANNED

Well the movie is apparently filming in Fall so they must have something in Gal. I'm not sure if I can get excited yet. I can't be the only one who is feeling a little apprehensive. I know people are eager to get a Wonder Woman movie but wouldn't it be better for the audience to see her in Dawn of Justice first, just in case she isn't well received? It just feels like we're skipping a step here. I guess it wouldn't matter if the WW movie was being released before Dawn of Justice. I'm probably just worrying too much.