Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Astonishing Member Godzilla2099's Avatar

Default Cyclops #8: Spoilers and Review: 'Little Reward For A Job Well Done"

- Star Jammers have passed out in their space pod due to the Life Support failing. However, they are rescued from a crew that picked up the S.O.S., Tyke sent out. Turns out it wasn't the Medical Frigate that rescued them but a crew from a merchant ship called the Celerity. Good news, they're alive. Bad news, this crew knows they're pirates that have a large bounty so now the Starjammers are captured...again

- Malefect's Crew board the medical frigate. Turns out the vessel is an undercover ship full of Shi'ar Accipters. They have little problem taking out most of Malefect's Group. Tyke pushes Vileena out of harm's way and goes postal on the Shi'ar because he remembers them as the ones that killed his mother.

- Tyke becomes separated from the crew and runs into Zebble, who is interrogating a Shi'ar. The Shi'ar explains they were going to make a rendezvous for a trade. This treasure, called the Vortex is supposed to grant power that can make a man into a god. Tyke and Zebble find the Shi'ar loot and Zebble attacks Tyke. This time Zebble makes sure Tyke isn't facing him so he won't get blasted. Little problem for Tyke since he fires a ricochet shot that takes out Zebble. Cyclops refuses to kill him but a shipmate named Kratyr has no problems with it.

- Vileena thanks Tyke and plants one on him. Tyke visits his dad. Corsair says the Shi'ar loot was a starcracker. It makes stars go super nova which takes out an entire solar system so if the Shi'ar is willing to trading that, then this Vortex has got to be something pretty cool.

- Malefect wants to know whats going on. Tyke says he is trying to get information from the prisoner. Malefect tells him that's not the way to to it and issue ends with him pulling out a torture device about to use on Corsair.

My Review: Excellent Issue! Easily the best one this month. (I even liked this more than Thor) It had it all. Great action, excellent dialogue with father and son. Tyke actually likes being a pirate. Vileena is charming and I can't wait to see where this story is heading towards next! Layman is doing a great job on this. Mixed opinion with the art. I like the backgrounds but not a fan of the facial expressions
    Last edited by Godzilla2099; 12-24-2014 at 05:04 PM.

>I agree almost entirely with your review, Godzilla2099... but I think that Javier Garron's art continues to improve over his first issue. It's not Dauterman but I'm enjoying it. Sotomayor remains a colouring genius.
    >This issue was a great X-Mas gift for any Cyclops fan. Glad I made it the last X-book I read today.
    >Every exceptional cover for this series has reflected exactly what's going on in that respective issue. A pleasant rarity these days.
    >The most intricate optic blast ricochet ever!!!
    >Somewhere badly hidden in Canada on Earth, Jean Grey felt that kiss!
    >Nice lead in to Black Vortex but I refuse to believe that a nova bomb [Andromeda reference ] is the height of Shi'ar weaponry or worthy to be traded for a device that turns people into Silver Surfers... or Quasars.
    >All the precautions Tyke took to go to Corsair last issue seem to have been thrown out the window this time around. Boo.
    >I shudder to think what Cpt. Malefect is going to do to Corsair with that cosmic tooth extractor!

I continue to really enjoy the series. I may only get another 4 issues but I intend to love them all!
    Last edited by nx01a; 12-24-2014 at 05:26 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by The General, JLA #38
    'Why?' Just to see the disappointment on your corn-fed, gee-whiz face, Superman. And because a great dark voice on the edge of nothing spoke to me and said you all had to die. There is no 'Why?'

Quote Originally Posted by nx01a View Post
    >Somewhere badly hidden in Canada on Earth, Jean Grey felt that kiss!
    I am not sure I understand this kind of comments. Sure, if adult Jean ever comes back, I don't specialy want that she goes back with Scott because that was already done and the characters should move on. But young Scott and Jean had something special. It was epic. It was stuff of legends until some author decided to destroy it all for his own agenda. Imho, young Scott has a lot more to lose than Jean if their relationship never happen. For one thing, he will lose his son, Cable, because, even if he is the son of Madelyne, you can't get one without the other.

So yeah, consider that it's a good thing if young Scott hurts Jeen if you want. But would that really be the case anyway? Wouldn't Jeen just dump him and, later, end-up with Wolverine? I nearly wish that would happen just to piss people that consider young Scott relationship with another girl only has a way to hurt Jeen. "Nearly", because, as I said, I think that Scott and Jean relationship, all the hardship they had to overcome to be together, all the time they spent together, whatever in the present or in the future raising Cable, was special and is not worse to be retconed.

Quote Originally Posted by Narasinha View Post
    I am not sure I understand this kind of comments. Sure, if adult Jean ever comes back, I don't specialy want that she goes back with Scott because that was already done and the characters should move on. But young Scott and Jean had something special. It was epic. It was stuff of legends until some author decided to destroy it all for his own agenda. Imho, young Scott has a lot more to lose than Jean if their relationship never happen. For one thing, he will lose his son, Cable, because, even if he is the son of Madelyne, you can't get one without the other.

So yeah, consider that it's a good thing if young Scott hurts Jeen if you want. But would that really be the case anyway? Wouldn't Jeen just dump him and, later, end-up with Wolverine? I nearly wish that would happen just to piss people that consider young Scott relationship with another girl only has a way to hurt Jeen. "Nearly", because, as I said, I think that Scott and Jean relationship, all the hardship they had to overcome to be together, all the time they spent together, whatever in the present or in the future raising Cable, was special and is not worse to be retconed.
    I'd like to read more on Jeen and Tyke epic romance. Can you rec. specific comics?

It was a joke. Considering the epic nature of the Jean/Scott relationship, though, I could see Jeen sensing a disturbance in the [Phoenix] Force.
    'Why?' Just to see the disappointment on your corn-fed, gee-whiz face, Superman. And because a great dark voice on the edge of nothing spoke to me and said you all had to die. There is no 'Why?'

Personally, I want to see them both with other people for a little while so they can work Scott and Jean as best friends again, by showing it on the damn page instead of telling me about it. But I think that goal would best be served if the romance (and inevitable miserable love triangles) were taken off the table long enough to make it happen.

Also, from the way I see Jean, she would be upset at first, but would quickly calm down after the initial discovery. Jean's temper runs hot, not cold, and after any initial flareup she might have, would revert towards her normal warm self, and would even be happy for him in the end.
    Dark does not mean deep.

Quote Originally Posted by AJpyro View Post
    I'd like to read more on Jeen and Tyke epic romance. Can you rec. specific comics?
    X-Men First Class, which also has some other really good stuff besides that.

I really should work on my multi-quote..............
    Dark does not mean deep.

Q3ljbG9wcyBpcyByaWdodA== hqt4991's Avatar

You are right. Scott and Jean's romance was epic. They were 'the' couple of the X-Men after all. However, the problem is we are dealing with a completely different set of characters here. Since coming to the present, all Jeen really managed to do to Tyke was hurting him. He doesn't deserve that, and if he manages to find some form of happiness on his journey in a time not his own, then there is no reason he shouldn't go for it. Same to Jeen.

Now do I believe Jeen and Tyke are still in love with each other? Yes. Should they eventually get together? Yes. Am I looking forward to Cyclops #12? Yes. But I want it to run its course, rather than it being forced on us. Beside, some 'experience' will be good for Tyke.

Avoiding the worst forgotten_utopia's Avatar

excellent issue! It makes me sad to see other crap been high on sales, and some really good books on the verge of cancelation. however looking forward for this.
    Be the change you want to see in the world.
    Mahatma Ghandi

Ping!
    cycping.jpg
    "...not precisely..."
    I see what you did there.

Quote Originally Posted by nx01a View Post
    Ping!
    cycping.jpg
    "...not precisely..."
    I see what you did there.
    Ahhh, I get it!

Quote Originally Posted by hqt4991 View Post
    Since coming to the present, all Jeen really managed to do to Tyke was hurting him. He doesn't deserve that, and if he manages to find some form of happiness on his journey in a time not his own, then there is no reason he shouldn't go for it. Same to Jeen.
    Oh, com'on, dont you think that's exaggerating a little bit? In a very early issue, just after she found out that Cyclops killed Xavier and was shown what her life and relationship with Scott would be, from Beast point of view, she refused to talk to Tyke once.

Imho, Jeen was more rejecting what was happening to her and what her future would be than she was rejecting Tyke. Especialy has she couldn't control her TP (She had all those nightmare about being killed).

After that Tyke got the wedding invitation and gave it to her without saying anything. He walked away while Jeen was crying.
    In the following issues, Jeen was shown to be at least willing to listen to adult Scott position and to be caring about Tyke. At the begning of BotA, she was really scared when Scott was first hurt and she was again shown to care deeply about him.

Then most of BotA was pretty much Jeen and Tyke hitting it with each others. (Which is a lot faster than they did in the original comics: It took them a lot longer to show affection toward each others with all their silent suffering)

If anything, that's Tyke who "dumped" Jeen to go in space with his dad and hurt her. But I am pretty sure that she understood why he had to do it and how important it was to him.

After that, Tyke got jealous because he heard Hank and Jeen discussing the kiss they shared. Imho, the intent of that kiss and its implication is debatable but Jeen certainly didn't do it because she want to hurt Tyke or because she doesn't love him.

What Tyke think reflect the same insecurity he had at that time, in the original comics. It's not how Jeen really feel about him. But now, Tyke think his relationship with Jean is a given. That they are destined to be together. That's the kind of thing that never worked with Jean: It's the same reasons that made her refuse when Scott first proposed to her during X-Factor. It's not because she doesn't love him and her dearest wish would be to live with him. But it's because she can't stand to feel traped by "her destiny" and not have any control over it.

And then, Tyke made Jeen jealous because he "fancy" X-23 which lead to the quarrel at the begining of the Trial. Again, as with Beast/Jeen kiss, I don't think that it mean that Scott doesn't love Jeen or want to go out with someone else. It's just the author showing us that their relationship is at the begining. That they both are awkward and don't really know how they feel themselve. That they are both afraid that the other doesn't feel the same way as they do. They are young. It's the first time they are in love. They never had another love relationship with someone else. It's also a way to show us that their story is not a given. That even if they ended-up married, it didn't happened yet and that they will need to fight for it.

So no, I dont think that "all Jeen really managed to do to Tyke was hurting him". And, in his own way, Tyke is hurting Jeen as much.
    Last edited by Narasinha; 12-25-2014 at 05:55 AM.

Some good stuff, and some stuff I disagree with there, Narasinha.

Yes, Tyke was feeling that the relationship was a given and he certainly needed to get over that. You'll never build anything that can last on such a foundation.

I disagree that him leaving can be construed as 'dumping' her, because you actually need to be in a relationship for that to happen, and they weren't. Just before she gets kidnapped by the Shiar they were arguing about things he was thinking but wasn't saying (something she does to no one else - those 3 bolded words are important, they explain why many Cyke fans feel she is dumping on him unfairly).

Now, working on the theory that they WILL eventually get together, the separation (and whatever happens with Vileena) is important to both of them. As the saying goes, "You don't know what you've got 'till it's gone." I think both Scott and Jean will need to understand that going forward (as well as another saying "The grass isn't always greener on the other side").

I'm just happy that I'm finally seeing Scott (any version) getting into any relationship for a reason other than Jean Grey. Currently he has been with her, rebounding from her, or with someone because things were going badly with Jean (not counting things built on some form of brainwhammy like Frenzy was).

And as I said, I expect Jean won't be happy at first, but things will eventually work out. But then, X-Men: Evolution colors a lot of my perception of the way a teenaged Jean would act, and that's exactly what happened in that show when non-Jean girls were trying to get close to Scott. Jean really, really, didn't like it despite the fact that she was dating someone else (although it was communicated via angry looks rather than verbal explosions).
    Dark does not mean deep.