Page 9 of 82 FirstFirst ... 56789101112131959 ... LastLast
    BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Sirzechs View Post
    I just feel Cyborg really deserves the spot he's got now, it feels right.
    like his role in Flashpoint
    As far as I am concerned, DC took away what made Cyborg special and what made him Justice League worthy in the first place when they wiped out his time with the Titans.

Right now he is just the token black guy on the team, who really is only there because Johns likes him (but can't write him) and because he thinks being 50% machine makes the character repeatable to the smartphone wielding audience.
    -Vixen would have been a better choice, and help a little with the massive gender imbalance thats still there.
    -John Stewart would have been a better choice, get rid of Hal, (who quickly left on his own anyways so why bother in the first place), and have a spot open for someone else.
    -Steel would have been a better choice if all you really wanted was a black guy who does tech really well.

And it hasn't really helped at all that he's the only Leaguer (save Billy) without an ongoing solo book, and only some sad hints about him being a bit of a hermit on the watchtower for the past 5 years.

BANNED

Token black guy on the team? If it was any other black superhero, there would still be complaints.

edit: delete this
    Last edited by Starchild; 01-01-2015 at 09:37 AM.

BANNED

You mention Steel, Vixen & John Stewart. But it wouldn't make a difference, people will still claim that they are tokens. It just seems like you don't like the character.

Quote Originally Posted by Outside_85 View Post
    As far as I am concerned, DC took away what made Cyborg special and what made him Justice League worthy in the first place when they wiped out his time with the Titans.

Right now he is just the token black guy on the team, who really is only there because Johns likes him (but can't write him) and because he thinks being 50% machine makes the character repeatable to the smartphone wielding audience.
    -Vixen would have been a better choice, and help a little with the massive gender imbalance thats still there.
    -John Stewart would have been a better choice, get rid of Hal, (who quickly left on his own anyways so why bother in the first place), and have a spot open for someone else.
    -Steel would have been a better choice if all you really wanted was a black guy who does tech really well.

And it hasn't really helped at all that he's the only Leaguer (save Billy) without an ongoing solo book, and only some sad hints about him being a bit of a hermit on the watchtower for the past 5 years.
    How exactly is Steel a better choice than Cyborg for tech? that makes absolutely no sense, Cyborg is tech and you're saying they guy in the iron suit would have been better?
    I'm honestly sick of the the Titans argument its makes no sense at all to hold a failing franchise over characters head, Dick Grayson no longer has it and he's doing great as a Spy.

DC/Collected Editions Mod The Darknight Detective's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Ninjak View Post
    You mention Steel, Vixen & John Stewart. But it wouldn't make a difference, people will still claim that they are tokens. It just seems like you don't like the character.
    Ah, but if it's the right "token" character, then it would be alright.
    A bat! That's it! It's an omen.. I'll shall become a bat!

Pre-CBR Reboot Join Date: 10-17-2010

Pre-CBR Reboot Posts: 4,362

THE CBR COMMUNITY STANDARDS & RULES ~ So... what's your excuse now?

Quote Originally Posted by The Darknight Detective View Post
    Ah, but if it's the right "token" character, then it would be alright.
    That's exactly what i'm getting.

How exactly is Steel a better choice than Cyborg for tech? that makes absolutely no sense, Cyborg is tech and you're saying they guy in the iron suit would have been better?
    I'm honestly sick of the the Titans argument its makes no sense at all to hold a failing franchise over characters head, Dick Grayson no longer has it and he's doing great as a Spy.
    To be fair, there's other things the Dick Grayson character is largely known for besides being a Titan.

Quote Originally Posted by The S0/\/\@7ic Si/\/\[]Dl370n View Post
    To be fair, there's other things the Dick Grayson character is largely known for besides being a Titan.
    Yes but Leader of the Titan was a large part of his character was it not?

Well, I'll be open. I don't care for Cyborg as a character and never really have. I'm not a huge Teen Titans fan, so when he was on that team, while I didn't particularly care for him, he wasn't really out of place to me, and I just kinda'... didn't really think about him. Justice League is actually something I'm really interested and invested in, so now Cyborg is more of an issue to me.

For a Black character, I'd much rather see Green Lantern because I'm just subjectively drawn to John Stewart a heck of a lot more than Cyborg. However, those feelings aside, I do believe that John naturally fits much better in the League than Cyborg. I don't think Cyborg fits at all, but again, this is subjective. I've never seen or read a good Justice League story where Cyborg was crucial, and I've never seen him have a captivating dynamic with the other Leaguers, for my tastes. His powers and design don't impress me and neither does his character. To me, it seems like he was shoehorned in there because Johns and DiDio realized it would be a good idea to have a Black character (and that is a good idea), but because they're so partial to Hal Jordan (and we all know they are), they didn't want to use John Stewart - who was already highly associated with the League at that point. I can also see them thinking it would be some kind of sacrilege to have any Lantern but Jordan be a founder of the League, based upon how loyal they seem to be to that character and the Silver Age.

I'm not going to try to back up stuff with statistics because it all really comes down to personal preference, even for the creators. I think they used Cyborg because of their personal preferences, and not necessarily because of a bunch of stats. That doesn't make them evil, but their vision is not something I'm interested in seeing, because it doesn't jive with my preferences.

Also, the one woman thing really is silly. In my honest opinion, the Justice League animated series line up is perfect. That worked splendidly. If I was WB, I'd just stick with what worked and what people know.

Arguments like that can be applied to any character especially Batman who can be said to be out of place on team than deals with Superhuman threats and who writers dumb-down characters and make them incompetent just so he can be relevant.

DC/Collected Editions Mod The Darknight Detective's Avatar

That's exactly what i'm getting.
    A lot of this discussion is agenda driven, which is sad. As long as it's good, I personally don't care who they add to the movie. I own many comics of everybody mentioned on this thread so far, so they are all worthy to me.
    A bat! That's it! It's an omen.. I'll shall become a bat!

Pre-CBR Reboot Join Date: 10-17-2010

Pre-CBR Reboot Posts: 4,362

THE CBR COMMUNITY STANDARDS & RULES ~ So... what's your excuse now?

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Ninjak View Post
    I'd like a bigger team myself. I actually wanted members like Firestorm, Black Lightning, Blue Devil & Element Woman as official members. Not just reserves.
    pretty sure the OP meant lack of females in the JL movie and since a team up movie can't have too many cast, I think what OP meant was to replace some of the male heroes with female ones. or black character with other black character.

Quote Originally Posted by Outside_85 View Post

Again. How has this got to do with the movie? Also, if you're talking about swapping Cyborg with Vixen/Stewart/Steel, how is this not tokenism?

Yes but Leader of the Titan was a large part of his character was it not?
    Yeah, it was. But the difference is he had other things to balance it out. His Titans career only added more things to the character.

Arguments like that can be applied to any character especially Batman who can be said to be out of place on team than deals with Superhuman threats and who writers dumb-down characters and make them incompetent just so he can be relevant.
    Question on the Batman thing. Is(are) there any other member(s) of the team that could fully and effectively take Batman's place in terms of his full skills and abilities?

Astonishing Member The_Greatest_Username's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by nightrider View Post
    1. Wonder Woman is Isreali and a woman
    2. Aquaman is polynesian/native american
    3. Cyborg is black
    4. Flash is gay in real life

So what more do you want?

In Avengers theres only 1 black supporting character and 1 white female.
    On top of that Lois Lane is slated to be playing a huge role in DCCU and many Lois Lane fans does not see Lois Lane any less of a hero than Superman is. Not forgetting in BVS Perry White is also black.
    I think the OP was pretty clear that he wants to see more female superheroes in the DCCU, particularly in the first Justice League film.

Quote Originally Posted by The Darknight Detective View Post
    What people forget is when Wondy was the only female founding member at it's inception in 1959, who were the other female superheroes that could have also joined? Supergirl was just created and not in the public eye just yet, the Golden Age superheroines were in limbo, while Hawkgirl and Mera were yet to have been created. The only other ones available were the original (and not that super) Batwoman and Batgirl, but that's about it. IOW, Diana wasn't really a token pick 55 years ago but the only viable one at the time. IMO, there's no reason why DC/WB needs to be wedded to the one-woman founder mentality anymore.

Interesting, you know I've never really thought of that before. I guess the source material really does need a bit more of a modern touch.

Quote Originally Posted by The S0/\/\@7ic Si/\/\[]Dl370n View Post
    Question on the Batman thing. Is(are) there any other member(s) of the team that could fully and effectively take Batman's place in terms of his full skills and abilities?
    Yes actually Superman/Wonder Woman/Aquaman can cover everything Batman offers and I mean everything, I one issue of Action Comics Superman learnt everything about Medical Science in like 2 minutes I think in the Earth one graphic novel he's portrayed to be even smarter, There's no strategy that Batman can form that Wonder Woman can't do faster and better she's the god of war after all.