Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast
    "Comic Book Reviewer" InformationGeek's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by John Ossie View Post
    Quoted in agreement, it was my favourite ongoing from DC this year.
    I'm with you and Wingnut. Seriously one of DC's best comics (it was number 5 on my list for best). So much fun, a great sense of humor, always changing it up and being creative with its stories (sometimes she fighting assassins, fighting off convicts in love with her, crashing Comic-Con, team up with Power Girl to fight crime), great artwork, and likable if off her rocker lead character!

My short review of each title:

10: Boring as hell
    9: Tries too hard to be "hip"
    8: Not bad, but weird concept
    7: Not interesting
    6: Great children's book
    5: Horrid smut
    4: Entertaining beginning, lost interest after
    3: Grant Morrison's written better work
    2: Overrated smut
    1: Great, fun book
    Back For Good Behavior!

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Albert Ching View Post
    I'm not sure I follow that logic -- each individual entry in a contributor top 10 is assigned a point ranking based on placement, and then that number is tabulated into the big list, with more than 200 titles receiving votes. As such, the "point" value for #11 is greatly different than #100.
    But the point value can get skewed for books that don't show up in people's top 10. Suppose that these are two of the contributor's personal top 10-12 lists:

Person A: 10. She-Hulk, 11. Grayson, 12. Hawkeye
    Person B: 10. Hawkeye, 11. Grayson, 12. She-Hulk

Both She-Hulk and Hawkeye would receive points for being in the top 10. Grayson, by simply being #11, would receive the same number of points as say... Klarion (which would be zero), even if both Persons A and B enjoyed Grayson almost as much as they enjoyed She-Hulk or Hawkeye.

Incredible Member Jonah Weiland's Avatar

Quick note -- please agree and disagree with any books that made this list, their placement, etc. We encourage & expect lively discussion and don't expect you to agree with every book placed on the list. Have fun, talk about the books you liked, you didn't like, etc.

What we don't allow are rude posts that describe something they don't like with pejorative words. Engage in intelligent, mature and thoughtful discussion.
    -- Jonah Weiland
    -- Just Another Comic Book Fan
    Tweets | Webs
    | 'grams

If she hulk hadn't been canned this year it would probably be higher for me imo
    I haven't liked saga this past year its interesting that its so high
    ms marvel is good enough to be #1 this year
    I'm seeing a few books getting on the list based off the strength of 1 or 2 issues but no gotham by midnight or klarion

Grayson was very good this year certainly better than snyder's batman
    surprised harley quinn didn't make the list either

For my part, my list had a good showing. Of the four titles I purchase from Marvel, only ANXF didn't make the list (and really, it should have...maybe not top ten but somewhere in the 100). She Hulk, Superior Foes and Daredevil made the cut.

My DC list only had one entry in the top 100, Aquaman. I think Earth 2 could have easily been in there, but that's me.

I think this list is always helpful to point out quality books I'm missing (and that I can afford). Might have to check out Ms. Marvel soon...since it's good and I'm trying it, it's probably doomed but what the hell? LOL

Spectacular Member Agent John Bishop's Avatar

I got and read the first trade of Ms. Marvel the other day and it didn't really work for me. I liked the Pakestani-American stuff, but apart from that it seemed like the same set of tropes I have seen in use in every youth oriented superhero book since Ultimate Spider-Man. Now, I have a long history of not getting why something is great until it's explained to me, so does anyone care to go into a little detail about what makes Ms. Marvel so great?

BANNED

I can't be the only one who read Ms. Marvel #1 and thought it was terrible, right? I didn't once consider grabbing #2.
    Last edited by Jonah Weiland; 12-31-2014 at 02:40 PM. Reason: Baiting me.

Well at least my 3 favorite comics made the Top 10, though Saga still gets my #1, even at the expense of the infinitely enjoyable Ms. Marvel. Would also see Wic + Div a little higher, but overall a fine Top 10.

Kamala Khan taking the crown, as deserved.

Quote Originally Posted by Agent John Bishop View Post
    I got and read the first trade of Ms. Marvel the other day and it didn't really work for me. I liked the Pakestani-American stuff, but apart from that it seemed like the same set of tropes I have seen in use in every youth oriented superhero book since Ultimate Spider-Man. Now, I have a long history of not getting why something is great until it's explained to me, so does anyone care to go into a little detail about what makes Ms. Marvel so great?
    I'm with you on this. Didn't work for me, which is too bad because I had been hoping to like it.

Just my opinion, of course.

Sandy Hausler

Fabulous top 3 imo.

Glad to see She-Hulk so high on the list. I genuinely enjoyed her book every month.

Spectacular Member Agent John Bishop's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Sandy Hausler View Post
    I'm with you on this. Didn't work for me, which is too bad because I had been hoping to like it.

Just my opinion, of course.

Sandy Hausler
    Your own opinions is of course, all I could ask for. But yeah, I think it was overhyped to me by lists like this one. It's funny, I am the age this is supposed to appeal to, but the books just felt like it was straining too hard to be trendy and also unique. Ah well, not everything can work for everyone.

Quote Originally Posted by Fuzzy Cactus View Post
    But the point value can get skewed for books that don't show up in people's top 10. Suppose that these are two of the contributor's personal top 10-12 lists:

Person A: 10. She-Hulk, 11. Grayson, 12. Hawkeye
    Person B: 10. Hawkeye, 11. Grayson, 12. She-Hulk

Both She-Hulk and Hawkeye would receive points for being in the top 10. Grayson, by simply being #11, would receive the same number of points as say... Klarion (which would be zero), even if both Persons A and B enjoyed Grayson almost as much as they enjoyed She-Hulk or Hawkeye.
    Theoretically, sure, but with enough voters, the risk of that being an issue is minimal. As Grayson would have to routinely finish JUST outside everyone's top ten and that doesn't seem likely. The odds are much greater if it is continuously landing in that general area that it would get enough #9s and #10s to make the list. It is much more likely that it just wasn't rated that high by the people voting.

I do agree that it would make the lists of certain people if their lists went to 40-50, but the point of this list is to diversify. While Grayson would certainly hit the top 40-50 of certain voters, it would not even be in the top 100 or so of other voters, and the way the voting works is that we get to mix in the various tastes of the CBR contributors to get a mix of all of their interests. You know, "What books do you like the best? What books do YOU like best?" So the main desire is to get the books that the CBR contributors are really into, and not the ones that they would rank in the 20s. If a book isn't getting into anyone's top ten, then that's just not a book that this particular group of contributors are especially into. No knock on that book, itself, of course, just that this particular batch of CBR contributors weren't into it.

Incredible Member

No Hip Hop Family Tree and no Copra....

somebody isn't doing their homework at CBR