Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

No Prophet; Bumf; Megg, Mogg & Owl; No Brown 9; Copra; Wicked Chicken Queen; Youth Is Wasted; Gilbert Hernandez OGNs; Hip Hop Family Tree; Shadow vs Grendel; Django/Zorro; or War Stories.
    1420026168139.jpg
    BB

Wasn't Watson and Holmes this year also?

Three from my pull list (Saga, Multiverstiy, Lazarus) and three that I tried but didn't do it for me (She-Hulk, Wicked + Divine, Moon Knight). Also got the first Sex Criminals trade for Chrimbo so there's that as well I guess.

Each year, CBR takes stock of the comic book industry's multitude of offerings and polls the site's passionate and thoughtful staff -- including editors, reporters, reviewers, columnists and bloggers -- for their picks of the top comics of the year.
    Just a thought - are these ranked the same way as the top writer & artist polls? If so, any chance of seeing the point totals for each title? Or if not, a link to the ranking process that I've obviously missed (sorry)?

Extraordinary Member Raffi Ol D'Arcy's Avatar

Good to see Charles Soule and his intelligently written and enjoyable She-Hulk get the recognition they deserve.

Lazarus, another very good comic worthy of the top 10.

Sorry not to see Little Nemo: Return to Slumberland make the cut what with its beautiful art.

If I did my math correctly, of the Big 2, Marvel had around 18 titles and DC only around 7 in the top 100.

Also surprised not to see Rai from Valiant make it.
    Last edited by Raffi Ol D'Arcy; 12-31-2014 at 03:52 PM.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by rauj13 View Post
    I can't be the only one who read Ms. Marvel #1 and thought it was terrible, right? I didn't once consider grabbing #2.
    I love Ms. Marvel, but I don't consider #1 to be the strongest issue. Only because the other issues in the series felt like they had so much content, while #1 sort of jogged to the cliff hanger. #1 and #10 (or 9? the last one) feel like 30 minute TV shows, whereas 2-9 feel like hour long ones.

Aspiring Underachiever Turn the Page's Avatar

Glad most of my top 10 picks were on the 100 list somewhere. Of my top 10 Moon Knight was the only one to make this part. I'm surprised She-Hulk is ranked so highly, and equally surprised Batman Eternal is nowhere to be found.

Quote Originally Posted by ImprobableQuestion View Post
    I love Ms. Marvel, but I don't consider #1 to be the strongest issue. Only because the other issues in the series felt like they had so much content, while #1 sort of jogged to the cliff hanger. #1 and #10 (or 9? the last one) feel like 30 minute TV shows, whereas 2-9 feel like hour long ones.
    This. Ms. Marvel is SLOW to get going and isn't really meant to be a serious book at all, though it can add some tasteful drama when needed. You need to be patient in order for things to pick up with the plot, so stopping at only the first issue isn't really going to mean much when it barely even does anything.
    Last edited by Myetche; 12-31-2014 at 04:11 PM.
    She is Kamala Khan... The Magnificent Ms. Marvel!

Spectacular Member

I would have liked to see Prophet somewhere on the list, but all quibbling aside this top ten seems about right. I probably would have bumped two or three things, not sure which, to move up Fade Out, Hellboy in Hell, and Prophet. Meanwhile, I'm glad to see Moon Knight near the top of the list. The way that Declan Shalvey and Jordie Bellaire maneuvered their stark white hero over shadowy backdrops turned virtually every action sequence into an almost abstract visual experiment. And I know that many superhero readers were put off by the absence of continuity or sustained plotting, but I thought the book's detachment was a welcome antidote to stories that fiddle with world-states at the expense of narrative immediacy (with Axis and Age of Ultron as prime examples).

Ms. Marvel seems like a lock for the top spot because it settles the familiar tug-of-war between inclusive social politics and classical comic-book storytelling with the insight that there was never any contradiction to resolve. It's the classic Marvel tone with the breezy sarcasm dialed way up. And it's the kind of story I can picture showing to someone who isn't a comics insider without having to explain the arcane lore. The tone of the writing is sometimes a little YA for my taste, but that is the risk you run by reading the funny pages at the tender age of 32.

My face when I realized Garth Ennis got jobbed out of the list.
    Attached Images Attached Images

She-Hulk: It's damn good. I don't know if it's top ten good, given some of the titles below it on the list, but I won't quibble too much, given that such a high ranking might raise the profile of a book that desperately needs it. If not to save it from cancellation, then to send a message to Marvel that these kinds of comics are wanted by readers.

Afterlife With Archie: I haven't read this yet, but I bought the tpb for my girlfriend for Xmas (she gets here tomorrow). She likes Archie, she likes zombies...even if she doesn't dig it, I get the feeling I will. Mitch at All Star Comics was talking it up like crazy, and he didn't even have a copy left to sell me!

Lumberjanes: I might buy a copy of the tpb for my daughter when it comes out. And probably flip through it myself.

Sex Criminals: I've only read the first tpb, and found it to be solid, if somewhat overrated. I'll stick with it. It sounds like it gets better.

Moon Knight: I wasn't expecting this to be so high, but why the hell not. A great little run from Ellis got the title up and running. Hopefully Brian Wood can keep up the momentum.

The Multiversity: #3? Seriously? No.

Saga: Hell yeah. Best comic currently being published (that I'm reading).

I tried the first issue of Ms Marvel and didn't love it, but I'm not necessarily the target audience.

Amazing Member

Nice to see Afterlife with Archie make the top 10. It's my favorite ongoing.

Quote Originally Posted by Nite-Wing View Post
    If she hulk hadn't been canned this year it would probably be higher for me imo
    I don't understand. How does news of the title finishing up affect your perception of the quality of the book itself?

Astonishing Member AlexanderLuthor's Avatar

Ms. Marvel was a really good comic book that shouldn't have sniffed the Top 10. Prophet might be the best comic run in the last several years and didn't make the list. Seriously, Sorrentino's run on Green Arrow landed him an X-book and was the best on the character since Mike Grell and no mention...uh-huh.
    Last edited by Conn Seanery; 12-31-2014 at 05:43 PM.

Considering my pull list ranged from 4-6 titles all year to see She Hulk and Ms. Marvel in the top 10 is pretty crazy. Sad to see She-Hulk get cancelled but you go Ms. Marvel, easily one of my favorite books of the year. Glad to see it recognized.