Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default Best method to preserve or copy old CBR forum threads?

Hey guys welcome to the new CBR.

As most of you know we can still access the old forums for the next 14 days and after that they will be gone forever.

There are a few particularly lengthy threads I want to copy so I can refer back to them at my leisure for my own enjoyment.

Was wondering if anyone had some quick methods to accomplish this task. You know so I'm not going through copying and pasting into a word document or copying html code for a few hours. Honestly, I'm not anticipating an easy answer here but CBRs always had some smart posters that never fail to surprise me so fingers crossed

The J-man

I was wondering this too, since I saw some posters were saying they could get their old threads back fairly quickly.
    "In any time, there will always be a need for heroes." - the Time Trapper, Legion of Superheroes #61(1994)

"What can I say? I guess I outgrew maturity.." - Bob Chipman

As for me, I've been worried about this for some time now, after seeing other forums die.

So I've been saving the Traitor Game threads in the following manner.

I go to the Printable Version, then go to the See 40 posts view. Then I save them as HTML.

Only trouble is, I don't know where it'd be appropriate to repost them. For those who don't know, the Traitor Games are a sort of roleplaying game/improvised multiplayer crossover fanfic series that a lot of us have been having fun with for quite a while now. If it were up to me, they'd still be available to be read LONG after Marvel has backed away in horror from 'One More Day' and its trade paperback is long out of print.

In any case, I believe I have them all saved, but I don't really know what I'm going to do with my saved copies.

With the new rules in mind, should I repost them with a disclaimer saying that the viewpoints expressed by the fictitious characters are not necessarily reflective of the viewpoints of the writers of the Traitor Game?

Mighty Member

If it is plaintext you want, use the Archive function which oddly enough seems to work still:

http://oldforums.comicbookresources....hive/index.php

It doesn't save image links (or dressed links), nor does it preserve style, but it will -for example- compress a 188 page thread into 12 extra-large pages.

Note that threads in the archive appear in I think chronological creation order, so you'll need the ID number of the old thread you are looking for, which should be easy enough for cached or favorited threads.

Writer At Comic Watch Dylan Davison's Avatar

I copy pasted. I saved the posts that mattered to me, and copy and pasted the posts for the threads I remade. Its a pain, but its the only way I can see. I was hoping the mod or admins could do something. But looks like they can't.
    Pulls:
    Coffin: La Muerta, Lady Death, Hellwitch. Valiant: Shadowman. DC: Poison Ivy.
    Check Out My Comic Reviews And More At Comic Watch!

You could install something like CutePDF Writer, which lets you print websites (or anything really) to a PDF.

hmmm plain text will probably be the most effective for me but I will look into CutePDF writer.

Thanks for the advice everyone
    The J-man

Kisai

Quote Originally Posted by Jabare View Post
    Hey guys welcome to the new CBR.

As most of you know we can still access the old forums for the next 14 days and after that they will be gone forever.

There are a few particularly lengthy threads I want to copy so I can refer back to them at my leisure for my own enjoyment.

Was wondering if anyone had some quick methods to accomplish this task. You know so I'm not going through copying and pasting into a word document or copying html code for a few hours. Honestly, I'm not anticipating an easy answer here but CBRs always had some smart posters that never fail to surprise me so fingers crossed

Forums are genuinely difficult to archive from the reader's side, it has to be done from the server's side if it's to be done at all. The alternative is to use spidering software like httrack to archive things, but that's only effective if the forum was using permalink style url's. That will keep everything but it's a resource drain on the server.

Currently, I'm using Archive Mode and printing stuff as a PDF.

I am very sad.....

Quote Originally Posted by Chris Lang View Post
    As for me, I've been worried about this for some time now, after seeing other forums die.

So I've been saving the Traitor Game threads in the following manner.

I go to the Printable Version, then go to the See 40 posts view. Then I save them as HTML.

Only trouble is, I don't know where it'd be appropriate to repost them. For those who don't know, the Traitor Games are a sort of roleplaying game/improvised multiplayer crossover fanfic series that a lot of us have been having fun with for quite a while now. If it were up to me, they'd still be available to be read LONG after Marvel has backed away in horror from 'One More Day' and its trade paperback is long out of print.

In any case, I believe I have them all saved, but I don't really know what I'm going to do with my saved copies.

With the new rules in mind, should I repost them with a disclaimer saying that the viewpoints expressed by the fictitious characters are not necessarily reflective of the viewpoints of the writers of the Traitor Game?
    Like you, Chris, I hope we can preserve the old game threads! If nothing else, just for fun re-reading or convenient reference for current games. Perhaps the best place to start is posting a new DT? Froggy can also restart his Sign Up thread for the Western game.

Quote Originally Posted by Tangent Man View Post
    Like you, Chris, I hope we can preserve the old game threads! If nothing else, just for fun re-reading or convenient reference for current games. Perhaps the best place to start is posting a new DT? Froggy can also restart his Sign Up thread for the Western game.
    Only I don't think we're allowed to call them 'Discussion Threads' any more because the new rules say such things are redundant. We'd have to clear that with the mods.

Fantastic Member General Nerditry's Avatar

Thanks for the efforts, here, and please keep me posted! There are a few threads I am so sad to lose, and I'm afraid manually copying and pasting isn't plausible in 14 days. I will try the archive method unless anyone else knows a better way? I guess I could go page by page and save the HTML but what a hassle.

Fantastic Member General Nerditry's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Estrecca View Post

Note that threads in the archive appear in I think chronological creation order, so you'll need the ID number of the old thread you are looking for, which should be easy enough for cached or favorited threads.
    Sorry if I am missing something obvious, but how do you find the ID?

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Estrecca View Post
    If it is plaintext you want, use the Archive function which oddly enough seems to work still:

http://oldforums.comicbookresources....hive/index.php

It doesn't save image links (or dressed links), nor does it preserve style, but it will -for example- compress a 188 page thread into 12 extra-large pages.

So, then do you save each of those archived pages as HTML? Or copy and paste it into a document?