Page 1 of 9 12345 ... LastLast

Default Was The Dark Knight Returns one of the worst or one of the best things to happen to Superman?

TDKR is obviously one of the best Batman stories ever written. But many Superman fans hate this story because it features a Superman who has become a simple minded stooge for Reagan to Batman's anti-establishment hero. It also features a battle between the two icons in which Batman kicks Superman's ass.Granted with the help of Green Arrow and a Kryptonite arrow.
    This book, along with The Watchmen, revolutionized the industry and showed the world just how powerful a comic could be.
    Overall the comic does not paint Kal in a very positive light. But did the portrayal of Superman in TDKR wake up comic creators and make them realize that yes Superman and his 1950s Boy Scout routine had indeed become stale? Which in turn made Superman fans and creators delve deeper into what made the character great. If things become complacent occasionally you need a wake up call.
    There have been so many amazing Superman stories since TDKR that have gotten to the core of the character and examined why he is the greatest hero ever.
    Was The Dark Knight Returns actually a good thing for Superman? Was it the kick in the ass that Superman needed of a good Batman story that features a Superman who is just an obstacle in the great Batman's way?
    Last edited by Robotman; 05-14-2014 at 03:06 PM.

Astonishing Member Dispenser Of Truth's Avatar

I don't think the blame can be laid at Miller's feet nearly as much as the fans that misinterpreted the work (that was an extension and deconstruction of Superman's public image at the time rather than how he was in the comics, same as his version of Batman was very much created with '66 in mind), but it sure as hell hasn't helped.

The blame can be laid entirely at Miller's feet, however, in how he'd treat Superman in his later works.

Quote Originally Posted by Robotman View Post
    TDKR is obviously one of the best Batman stories ever written. But many Superman fans hate this story because it features a Superman who has become a simple minded stooge for Reagan to Batman's anti-establishment hero. It also features a battle between the two icons in which Batman kicks Superman's ass. Granted with the help of Green Arrow and a Kryptonite arrow.
    This book, along with The Watchmen, revolutionized the industry and showed the world just how powerful a comic could be.
    Overall the comic does not paint Kal in a very positive light. But did the portrayal of Superman in TDKR wake up comic creators and make them realize that yes Superman and his 1950s Boy Scout routine had indeed become stale? Which in turn made Superman fans and creators delve deeper into what made the character great. If things become complacent occasionally you need a wake up call.
    There have been so many amazing Superman stories since TDKR that have gotten to the core of the character and examined why he is the greatest hero ever.
    Was The Dark Knight Returns actually a good thing for Superman? Was it the kick in the ass that Superman needed of a good Batman story that features a Superman who is just an obstacle in the great Batman's way?
    Batman DOES NOT kick Superman's ass, the fact that the scene gets interpreted into something that simple just shows how simple-minded and biased most readers are. I hate the effect the book has on Superman's brand. That damn book's just empowered the Bat fans because it emphasises Batman's coolness VS Superman's uselessness.

I think it kind of did do some damage. The Pete Holmes skit pretty much sums up what general people who don't read comics think of him.

Spadassin Extraordinaire Auguste Dupin's Avatar

TDKR is obviously one of the best Batman stories ever written. But many Superman fans hate this story because it features a Superman who has become a simple minded stooge for Reagan to Batman's anti-establishment hero. It also features a battle between the two icons in which Batman kicks Superman's ass. Granted with the help of Green Arrow and a Kryptonite arrow.
    Hahaha.
    Yeah, no,that's clearly not what happened, so worst thing (well, among the worst things I guess). It had a total of one good scene with Superman in it, and it was the nuke one.
    Hold those chains, Clark Kent
    Bear the weight on your shoulders
    Stand firm. Take the pain.

Regardless of intention, or what actually happens in the book, I'd say the net fan response to the book has been bad for Supes.

Quote Originally Posted by Auguste Dupin View Post
    Hahaha.
    Yeah, no,that's clearly not what happened, so worst thing (well, among the worst things I guess). It had a total of one good scene with Superman in it, and it was the nuke one.
    Years since I read it. But here's my memory of what happened.

Superman is weakened by dealing with a nuke. Batman, who has chained himself to a lamppost, and is wearing some gauntlet powered by entire city power supply. He calls Superman for assistance. When Superman comes Batman promptly hits him with powered gauntlet. Superman steps back, presumably surprised by his friend attacking him. Batman then collapses, apparently dead.

Later at the funeral, Superman realises that Batman has faked the death...he hears Batman's heartbeat. Superman goes along with his friends deception.

How on earth that becomes interpreted as Batman overpowering Superman is a real mystery. And again it's not consistent with Superman being a government stooge, he could have exposed Batman's scheme if he wanted to.

Quote Originally Posted by JackDaw View Post
    Years since I read it. But here's my memory of what happened.

Superman is weakened by dealing with a nuke. Batman, who has chained himself to a lamppost, and is wearing some gauntlet powered by entire city power supply. He calls Superman for assistance. When Superman comes Batman promptly hits him with powered gauntlet. Superman steps back, presumably surprised by his friend attacking him. Batman then collapses, apparently dead.

Later at the funeral, Superman realises that Batman has faked the death...he hears Batman's heartbeat. Superman goes along with his friends deception.

How on earth that becomes interpreted as Batman overpowering Superman is a real mystery. And again it's not consistent with Superman being a government stooge, he could have exposed Batman's scheme if he wanted to.
    Well, it has been stated in the comic that Superman didn't follow the governement because he believed it was the right thing, but because he felt it was the only way to keep doing his job in some form.
    So yeah, he's not a stooge per say. He's just a quitter. And that's clearly the way the story wants you to look at him (and the way 90% of the readership did). After all, he could have made a stand like Batman did (which, granted, didn't end up so well), or he could have continued to be a hero in the shadows like Green Arrow did (without all the political undertone, but you don't need a costume to save people from an earthquake). He worked with the governement because it was easier than standing for what's right.
    I would say that actually influenced in a bad way quite a few stories in the following years.

Quote Originally Posted by Auguste Dupin View Post
    Well, it has been stated in the comic that Superman didn't follow the governement because he believed it was the right thing, but because he felt it was the only way to keep doing his job in some form.
    So yeah, he's not a stooge per say. He's just a quitter. And that's clearly the way the story wants you to look at him (and the way 90% of the readership did). After all, he could have made a stand like Batman did (which, granted, didn't end up so well), or he could have continued to be a hero in the shadows like Green Arrow did (without all the political undertone, but you don't need a costume to save people from an earthquake). He worked with the governement because it was easier than standing for what's right.
    I would say that actually influenced in a bad way quite a few stories in the following years.
    If he felt it was the only way he could keep doing "the job" in some form...you know that small matter of actually saving life...then I find it hard to condemn his actions or call him a "quitter". I think there's an equally valid interpretation of his actions...that he was more concerned with helping other people than looking good, or appearing heroic.

I still maintain that the "usual" interpretation of DKSA isn't terribly consistent with what is actually shown as happening...the many negative interpretations of Superman's actions never account for his decision not to expose Batman at the funeral. For me, the overall story fits pretty well into that well established canon of stories where Superman pretends to be a government yes man to allow him to be more effective.

I feel even if you reasonably look at it from a positive point of view, most readers look at it as a negative interpretation of Superman. The Superman haters point to it and say, "See, he's awful!" Many Superman lovers point to it and say, "How can they write Superman so awfully?"

I agree with Bruce Timm in this regard when in the sneak peek for part 2 he mentioned that this was not going to be a good moment for Superman.

In terms of effect, The DARK KNIGHT RETURNS was one of the best things to ever happen.

To superhero comics in general.

But to Superman and his fandom?

The worst thing.

Unequivocally the worst thing to ever happen to Superman. Yes, I'm saying it even tops Wertham's publishing the Seduction of the Innocents book for long-term effect on Superman.

Prior to TDKR, DC lived in the Age of Superman for over 4 decades. He was the undisputed Alpha of all alpha heroes. Batman was #2, but he was a comfortable distance behind #1. Once TDKR #4 hit, it was all downhill for Superman for about the next 20 years (except for a few blips, Supes didn't begin to turn things around until ALL-STAR SUPERMAN came out around 2005).

Superman's protrayal in TDKR became his default portrayal by John Byrne (who worked with Frank Miller to show that MAN OF STEEL's Superman would clearly become TDKR's Superman down the road). So consequently, while Batman rode the wave of creativity that TDKR brought, Superman became a punching bag for anyone with a suddenly-plentiful piece of kryptonite in their hand.

Batman beating Superman in The Dark Knight Returns wound up being the worst thing to ever happen to Superman. Ever.

Still feeling the negative effects 28 years later.

But if you were a Batman fan then? Well, hot dog! Greatest thing ever.

Someday Superman will be allowed his revenge on the BatGod. Probably when the Age of Batman ends, whenever that winds up being. No one stays on top forever.

If he felt it was the only way he could keep doing "the job" in some form...you know that small matter of actually saving life...then I find it hard to condemn his actions or call him a "quitter". I think there's an equally valid interpretation of his actions...that he was more concerned with helping other people than looking good, or appearing heroic.
    Except for the matter of Superman being an agent of the military, actively destroying and exploding foreign manned tanks and troops and aircraft carriers. They never show Superman saving anyone inside the vehicles he destroyed. It is not unreasonable to presume they are dead by Superman's hand. TDKR Superman is a government killer who quit being a hero because he was worried about the humans coming after the other superheroes (which they did anyway it turns out).

I still maintain that the "usual" interpretation of DKSA isn't terribly consistent with what is actually shown as happening...the many negative interpretations of Superman's actions never account for his decision not to expose Batman at the funeral. For me, the overall story fits pretty well into that well established canon of stories where Superman pretends to be a government yes man to allow him to be more effective.
    Effective at what? Killing humans who don't wave the American flag?

That was just hyperbole. I know it wasn't as cut and dry as that.

That was just hyperbole. I know it wasn't as cut and dry as that.
    Hyperbole or not, that's the part of the story that so many comic fans remember, and the part that often gets cited. The underlying and mitigating circumstances sort of get lost in the mix. The part people talk about is that this is the story in which Batman beats Superman. I'm cherry picking examples here, but when the movie was announced in Comic-Con 2013, what part of the book got read over the PA? Which line did Kevin Conroy recite (adjusted for the right names, of course) when he guest starred in the Daly web show?

"I want you to remember, Clark…in all the years to come…in your most private moments…I want you to remember…my hand…at your throat…I want…you to remember…the one man who beat you."

That's what fans remember, perhaps above all other facets from the books. That's the book's legacy. People forget the details over the years, or they get caught up in the moment they don't care about the details in the first place, but this is what has stuck.

He could have just taken away his costume and saved people without showing himself. That way he gets to save people without being an overpowered goon for a parody of Ronald Reagan.
    Of course, that would mean sacrifices, the obvious one being his life as Clark Kent. But that would have been the actual right thing to do.