View Poll Results: Do more people know Batman is than they do Superman on a global scale?

Voters
27. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

18 66.67%
  • No

9 33.33%
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Is Batman more well-known around the world than Superman at this point?

Not just more more popular, but actually more well-known, across the different cultures and populations around the globe?

I was under the impression that he is, but I just wanted to make sure.

EDIT: Poll should read "who Batman is"
    Last edited by The S0/\/\@7ic Si/\/\[]Dl370n; 12-31-2014 at 03:27 PM.

Despite the constant merchandising and numerous tv shows and movies, I believe Batman & Superman are still tied in international and domestic recognition.

I think the Batman mythos is better known at this point. The sidekicks, the villains and such. Even causal fans would know a fair few of the supporting cast simply because the kind of exposure it has lately, with Supes you might get Luthor and Lois if you're lucky. But as a character on it's own I would suspect Superman is still better known, or at the very least they're equal in that regard.

It's difficult to call. The UK is very much in Bat-mania at the moment, and I don't just mean in geek circles. You can walk into a mainstream clothing shop and find racks upon racks of Batman clothing; pyjamas, shirts, watches, shoes, belts etc. Superman has some merchandising presence in the mainstream, but nowhere near as much as Batman. The difficulty is that just because Batman is pretty big right now doesn't mean everyone's forgotten about Superman. He's still as well known, just not the flavour of the month.

The real test is how Batman and Superman are perceived outside of Western countries. UK, US, Australia, Canada etc they're on equal terms, but who's more well-known in China? Russia? Kenya? Brazil? I honestly can't answer that as I've never been to any of those places.

Astonishing Member

Batman probably because his mythos are better constructed than Superman. I always say compare the no kill codes for each character and see which one makes more sense and works better in the end. Plus WB is basically trying to scrub things like truth, justice, and the american way from the mythos to make the character more palatable on a world scale while Bruce has no such issues to face. Also there's aspects of his character that are dated and haven't been updated accordingly if you look at MOS it was still operating under the same fairy tale romance setup that even Disney has openly lampshaded and parodied at this point.
    Last edited by The World; 01-01-2015 at 04:50 PM.
    Rules are for lesser men, Charlie - Grand Pa Joe ~ Willy Wonka & Chocolate Factory

Its like asking if star wars isn't more popular than star trek. Star wars is powering forward regardless of missteps whereas star trek is stuck still trying to reinvent itself

Astonishing Member

Also I seem to remember seeing a poll about merchandise sales for Marvel and DC superheroes and Batman was over double Superman's sales.
    Rules are for lesser men, Charlie - Grand Pa Joe ~ Willy Wonka & Chocolate Factory

Incredible Member

I think superman & batman are pretty well tied in the recognizability department.
    Now, if you're talking about their supporting cast and villains, batman most definitely takes it.

Around the world, I would say Batman has a bit more edge.

But, that doesn't mean Superman isn't popular. They both are, but Batman leads a bit, right now.

In western countries, both of them are tied..but outside of those countries, I believe Batman is certainly more well known (I can confirm this in my home country - India).
    DC Extended Universe Thread (DCEU)

That's how it starts. The fever. The rage. The feeling of powerlessness. That turns good men....Cruel - Alfred.

This may be the only thing that I do that matters - Bruce.

Stay down, if I wanted it, you would be dead already - Clark.

Not even close. You go to a village in the middle of Africa and they don't know Batman. They don't know Spider-Man or the X-Men.

They do know this:

Hope is not lost today. It is found.

The Fastest Post Alive! Buried Alien's Avatar

I would say that Batman has outstripped Superman in *popularity* during the past 25 years, but in terms of recognition and fame, they remain evenly matched.

Buried Alien (The Fastest Post Alive!)
    Buried Alien - THE FASTEST POST ALIVE!

First CBR Appearance (Historical): November, 1996

First CBR Appearance (Modern): April, 2014

Quote Originally Posted by teddyeatsyourface View Post
    Despite the constant merchandising and numerous tv shows and movies, I believe Batman & Superman are still tied in international and domestic recognition.
    Quote Originally Posted by Raefe Mahadeo View Post
    I think superman & batman are pretty well tied in the recognizability department.
    Now, if you're talking about their supporting cast and villains, batman most definitely takes it.
    Quote Originally Posted by Buried Alien View Post
    I would say that Batman has outstripped Superman in *popularity* during the past 25 years, but in terms of recognition and fame, they remain evenly matched.

Buried Alien (The Fastest Post Alive!)
    For certain? One's not more well-known than the other?

Quote Originally Posted by Nygma View Post
    I think the Batman mythos is better known at this point. The sidekicks, the villains and such. Even causal fans would know a fair few of the supporting cast simply because the kind of exposure it has lately, with Supes you might get Luthor and Lois if you're lucky. But as a character on it's own I would suspect Superman is still better known, or at the very least they're equal in that regard.
    Quote Originally Posted by Don C View Post
    Not even close. You go to a village in the middle of Africa and they don't know Batman. They don't know Spider-Man or the X-Men.

They do know this:

Are we really sure of that though? Is there really any place that knows Superman that also doesn't know Batman? What would prevent them from recognizing the Batman logo? Because if it's true what The World noted...

Quote Originally Posted by The World View Post
    Also I seem to remember seeing a poll about merchandise sales for Marvel and DC superheroes and Batman was over double Superman's sales.

Keep in mind merchandise sales =/= more well known. I don't think many people would argue Batman is more popular and profitable right now, but that doesn't automatically translate to more well known, because just about everyone buying a Batman dvd or lego set or shirt will also know and recognise Superman. Thing is in the modern Western World it would basically be a wash. And really we can only speculate beyond those areas based on experiences from people there. But while it's merely suspicion I would suspect that Superman and his logo would be more universally recognised than Batman and his logo. You could make the argument that a modern pop band have made more money than a Michael Jackson or The Beatles, but that the latter are more well known because of legacy etc.

Batman's definitely making DC more money right now though, he's their most popular guy right now by a country mile. Man of Steel was clearly written in part to try and make him cool and interesting to newer audiences

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by The S0/\/\@7ic Si/\/\[]Dl370n View Post
    Are we really sure of that though? Is there really any place that knows Superman that also doesn't know Batman? What would prevent them from recognizing the Batman logo? Because if it's true what The World noted...
    I think there have been surveys done about the most recognisable symbols or brands across the world. The Superman logo is up there with Coca-Cola, which I think is the most popular thing, ever.

BANNED

Don't know, don't care, doesn't matter.

(Darkness, no parents.)