Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Best of 2014

Spectacular Member

Smile Best of 2014

What in your opinion was the best thing that Marvel did comic book related in 2014? Please explain why you picked it.

I feel Magneto (the comic) was the best thing Marvel managed this year. It has a unique art style and just the right color palette with an interesting method of story telling that blends flashbacks into current ongoing events exemplifying both why he may be right in doing the things he does while still leaving enough room to question if there is a better way. All together it makes for a compelling presentation of Marvel's best current anti hero in a comic that actually seems to be consistent and going places.

I would give Moon Knight an honorable mention as the first six issues by Ellis and the supporting team were a magnificent re-envisioning of the character that captured just the right tone for stories of the strange, weird, and magical happening late in the night when no one else was around. I will never understand and will be unlikely to forgive Wood as a fan for ditching those themes when he took over to go back to writing the old Moonie.

Ms. Marvel

People wrote it off as P.C. gone mad, tokenism, and much worse and vile things before it ever got released. Even those that didn't have such viewpoints didn't exactly have high hopes for it, and I was among this group.

Since it's come out it's been one of those books that reminds me why I love comics, great art, great dialogue, a main character who who's endearing and likable, a villain that 100% owns his villainy and is absolutely absurd and fun. Great side characters, running gags, really I've fallen in love with the book. Long may it continue, and please, please, please keep it as far away from big mainstream crossovers as possible.

BANNED

Giving Storm her own ongoing solo after 39 years.

BANNED

Black Widow, Daredevil, Elektra, Hawkeye, Magneto, Moon Knight, Ms. Marvel, She Hulk, The Punisher. Marvel's solo titles have all been stellar.

Extraordinary Member John Ossie's Avatar

- Peter Parker coming back
    - Ms Marvel was a great read
    - Spider-Gwen

Superior Foes of Spider-man hands down.

I really enjoyed Mighty Avengers, even though I do believe that the constant event highjacking of the series didn't do it any favors . Still, it was my faavorite. I also liked New Warriors and PAD's All-New X-Factor, despite both series being cut short.

Peace

1. Ms. Marvel
    2. Loki
    3. Gerry Duggan's Deadpool and Hulk
    4. Charles Soule Marvel Exclusive
    5. The Legendary Star-Lord
    6. The Marvel Movies
    "It's fun and it's cool, so that's all that matters. It's what comics are for, Duh."
    Words to live by.

Invincible Member

Quote Originally Posted by Kusanagi View Post
    Ms. Marvel

People wrote it off as P.C. gone mad, tokenism, and much worse and vile things before it ever got released. Even those that didn't have such viewpoints didn't exactly have high hopes for it, and I was among this group.

Since it's come out it's been one of those books that reminds me why I love comics, great art, great dialogue, a main character who who's endearing and likable, a villain that 100% owns his villainy and is absolutely absurd and fun. Great side characters, running gags, really I've fallen in love with the book. Long may it continue, and please, please, please keep it as far away from big mainstream crossovers as possible.
    I complete agree with this statement. It's a comic that had everything against and turned out to be one of the brightest titles from Marvel.

- Peter Parker returning
    - Ms. Marvel: I read a few issues, didn't quite capture me plus budget constraints, but I think it spoke to the world we are in and the writing is capturing the reader so well done
    - Spider-Verse
    - Daredevil has been great
    - I have enjoyed the return of Nightcrawler and being a constant in Amazing X-Men.
    - I would agree with another post as it seems the solo titles have been fantastic

Elektra. The best book nobody bought!
    All New X Factor
    The MCU films and X Menays of Future Past.

Quote Originally Posted by scouse mouse View Post
    The MCU films and X Menays of Future Past.
    Right totally forgot to add this to the list! I second this comment!!

Astonishing Member Shinglepants's Avatar

I couldn't really narrow it down to just one.

- Bringing Abnett back to the cosmic scene, it's just right. 3000 is already putting Bendis' GotG book to shame.

- Spider-Gwen was a stroke of genius.

- I've been a fan of Skottie Young's art for a while but getting him to write Rocket Raccoon was very cool.

-Del Mundo's art on Elektra has been amazing. Can't wait to see what he does next.

Incredible Member Chimeratengun's Avatar

-Moon Knight
    -Elektra
    -Thor(Female)
    -Ms. Marvel
    -Ghost Rider