Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Project Initiative Cascada View Post
    Can these villains be any more generic and overpowered? There's nothing unique or fresh with this event. It also seems to be ripping off Messiah Complex as well.
    This. Morlun was pretty bland on his own, he was basically just a plot device villain to service Straczynski's Totem storyline. Adding X amount more of him with a couple of added wrinkles like 'Old!Morlun' or 'Girl!Morlun' doesn't make it better.

BANNED

I never cared much for Morlun at all, but to say there is nothing fresh about Spider-Verse is over-stating things.

It's like that one episode of the 90s Spider-Man cartoon where he met & fought with alternate dimension versions of himself, ramped up to include as many versions of the character as they legally can. That kind of scope focusing on one mega-popular character with hundreds of iterations is pretty unique, I think.

the multi-universal multi-media vastness of the Spider-Verse is fresh as hell, to me. C'mon, Spider-Ham is having moments with Spider-Girl.

Despite the main conflict being essentially a war, Spider-Verse has seriously been a lot of fun. I think it's a credit that SV has used parts of Spidey continuity I don't love & use it to include characters I do love

Spider-Prime's Only Fan Spider-Prime's Avatar

It's not that fresh

Extraordinary Member John Ossie's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Spider-Prime View Post
    It's not that fresh

LOL The amount of ''Snikt's'' and ''Bub's'' there'd be in that crowd must be ridiculous lol as well as all the stabby stabby lol.

BANNED

Exiles was a series, one which I'm finally going to read now because that image looks awesome; not an entire event like SV. Unless, that was a wolverine centric event that I never heard of, I still think there is freshness to Spider-Verse. It's for sure been fun so far.

Spider-Verse has been more fun than dull so far I agree.

'Cause there's a baby?

I don't think Messiah Complex was the first to do that.
    Nope the movie willow did it to!

Amazing Member

Man, Captain Universe Spiderman really didn't fight too smart. He should have just punched the head bad guy into orbit, or flung him into the Sun...Sentry style!

Quote Originally Posted by Heisennerd View Post
    Exiles was a series, one which I'm finally going to read now because that image looks awesome; not an entire event like SV. Unless, that was a wolverine centric event that I never heard of, I still think there is freshness to Spider-Verse. It's for sure been fun so far.
    Nah that was the arc with Brother Mutant. He took control of various Wolverines from across the multiverse to serve as his army.

Quote Originally Posted by Gaastra View Post
    Nope the movie willow did it to!
    I used to enjoy that film when I was younger.

i really hate the “this story is just like this other story” comparison, not because it’s inaccurate but because it’s unfair. every story is just like another story if you want to break it down. christopher booker posits that there are only 7 (or so) basic plots, and he’s not far off. i watched “warrior” and “cinderella man” this week and they are almost story beat for story beat identical- but the end product results in two very different films. spider-verse is a bit like an exiles story? maybe. is it a rare story for spider-man though? certainly.

as for the inheritors, they’re not exactly psychologically fascinating antagonists, but as someone else here pointed out…their narrative function is “the monster”. and sometimes the big bad wolf is just what he is and he’s gonna eat granma.

Quote Originally Posted by Heisennerd View Post
    There was a story in Exiles about a few alternate Wolverines forming a team. It was pretty tongue in cheek about the whole thing.

Where the Diwatas and the Triumph Division live

Quote Originally Posted by boots View Post
    i really hate the “this story is just like this other story” comparison, not because it’s inaccurate but because it’s unfair.
    For me, since I don't these other stories existed, I have nothing to compare Spider-Verse with. The same goes for new readers.
    Human Torch/Fantastic Four/She-Hulk/Disney Big Hero 6 /Tangled/G.I. Joe: A Real American Hero/Transformers G1 fanatic, Avatar-maker, and Marvel Moderator
    "一人じゃないから。" AI、『Story』。
    "ヒロ、お前を信じてる。" タダシ、『ベイマックス』。
    "You were my my new dream." "And you were mine." Eugene Fitzherbert and Rapunzel.
    "Knowing is half the battle."
    G.I. Joe.
    Know the CBR Community STANDARDS & RULES

Fantastic Member Venom Melendez's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Project Initiative Cascada View Post
    Can these villains be any more generic and overpowered? There's nothing unique or fresh with this event. It also seems to be ripping off Messiah Complex as well.
    Now you are just making stuff up, how are they "ripping off" Messiah Complex?

And if the villains were weak, you'd be complaining about how none threatening they were.

Solus the patriarch of the Inheritors, he damn well should be powerful. He's essentially the finally boss.

Quote Originally Posted by Baron of Faltine View Post
    but i think it was always the shtick of the "morluns"
    There's only one Morlun among the Inheritors.

Quote Originally Posted by Jason S View Post
    Man, Captain Universe Spiderman really didn't fight too smart. He should have just punched the head bad guy into orbit, or flung him into the Sun...Sentry style!
    Isn't that what he tried with Solus? And he got killed for his efforts.
    Last edited by Venom Melendez; 01-01-2015 at 04:32 PM.

I'm actually really enjoying Spider-Verse! Yeah, the Inheritors are pretty generic monsters, but the interactions between the spider characters have been great. I do think wiping out the cast of Spider-Man and His Amazing Friends was completely unnecessary, however. Also, it looks like Spider-Monkey gets killed in that preview, but wasn't he already killed in the storyline?