Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
    All-New Member

Default Help? No idea what to read

Hey all, I'm fairly new to X-Men and am extremely confused about which books to read. I recently finished the Ultimate X-Men series, which was fantastic, but even finding all the different books in the series was very confusing. So where do I go from here?

BANNED

Read back issues. X-Men has been terrible since Fraction/Gillen left.

All-New Member

Quote Originally Posted by Flight View Post
    Read back issues. X-Men has been terrible since Fraction/Gillen left.
    Back issues of what? Uncanny X-Men? Starting from where? I have really no idea.

Shou-Lao The Bitch Dragon Iron Fist's Avatar

If you're new, read Morrisons New X-Men and go from there into Whedon's Astonishing X-Men.

That's where I started with X-Men, that stuff should catch you up enough to get to Fraction, Gillen and then Marvel Now after the Avengers vs X-Men event.

Quote Originally Posted by flammable View Post
    It's super confusing. I downloaded a massive chart to make sense of it (which is here: http://i.imgur.com/UdI3jO1.png )

What's confusing with X-Men is it's a tier book series so there can be 3 different issues out in the same month from different x-men titles. I always read one run and then the one that happened simultaneously (like X-Treme X-Men happens at the same time as New X-Men)

It'a tremendously confusing, but once you get the key stuff read then it's a lot easier to get up to date. I think it took me about 3 weeks to properly understand how it all works and I'm still no expert.
    Last edited by Iron Fist; 01-01-2015 at 11:22 AM.

I'll be honest here. Anyone will give you their perosna favorite , offering a definitve skewed perception of the X-men comics, biased assuming that their/our own vision is THE definitive vision of the X-men(and 9 times out of 10 we are deadly wrong. Is the Authors, whoever they are, that write for Marvel or upon unwitty license of Marvel that offer the "definitve" version of the X-men, "definitive" relatively to this or that Medium that's it)
    My suggestion is search for the most pivotal stories of the X-men, like "Phoenix Trial", or "fatal Attraction" or "Mutant Massacre" (most of the X-men arc of stories are easily available on comixology in pratical bundles) and then start from there

Fantastic Member

New X-Men by Grant Morrison. Self-contained story, entirely collected, has a beginning, middle, and end.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by missingmarch View Post
    New X-Men by Grant Morrison. Self-contained story, entirely collected, has a beginning, middle, and end.
    Don't forget the editorial mandated retcon

BANNED

Good point. Don't bother.
    Read Batman or something.

Time for Dissection FlashingSabre's Avatar

If you want classic, start with Claremont. Giant Size X-men 1, then on from Uncanny X-Men 94.

If you want modern, go for Joss Whedon's Astonishing X-Men.

After that, you'll have hundreds of issues of garbage punctuated by the occasional bit of fun.

Note: I haven't read Morrison's run yet.
    Cyclops was right

Quote Originally Posted by ZNOP View Post
    Don't forget the editorial mandated retcon
    That didn't happen in Morrison's run, though.

Hey all, I'm fairly new to X-Men and am extremely confused about which books to read. I recently finished the Ultimate X-Men series, which was fantastic, but even finding all the different books in the series was very confusing. So where do I go from here?
    First off, I highly recommend checking out Marvel Unlimited. It's Marvel's version of Netflix, where you can read all the comics you want for just $10/month or $70/year. It's a great deal, especially if you have a tablet you can read them on.

Second, I recommend starting with Grant Morrison's New X-Men, which jump-started the X-franchise back in 2002. After that run, you should read Joss Whedon's Astonishing X-Men run, followed by the next few years of Uncanny X-Men. Ed Brubaker, Matt Fraction, and Kieron Gillen wrote the series one after the other, and they were all pretty good to great runs.

All-New Member

So New X-Men into Astonishing X-Men. Thanks all. And they are good comics? As good as Ultimate X-Men?

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Centipede Damascus View Post
    That didn't happen in Morrison's run, though.
    Well, editorial mandated retcons always happen after the fact

So New X-Men into Astonishing X-Men. Thanks all. And they are good comics? As good as Ultimate X-Men?
    That depends on if you are a staunch follower of continuity... Personally, I'd only read New X-Men up to #113 and jump to All New X-Men
    Last edited by ZNOP; 01-01-2015 at 02:30 PM.

BANNED

It's overwhelming how much stuff there is to read. If you're really into the X-Men and plan on reading everything then it's best to start with Claremont's run on Uncanny(#94-280, ignore the O5 run before CC). It established the majority of characters, themes, and tropes that are still in the comics today. Otherwise, just go with Morrison's New X-Men and Whedon's Astonishing.

Shou-Lao The Bitch Dragon Iron Fist's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by sprior93 View Post
    It's overwhelming how much stuff there is to read. If you're really into the X-Men and plan on reading everything then it's best to start with Claremont's run on Uncanny(#94-280, ignore the O5 run before CC). It established the majority of characters, themes, and tropes that are still in the comics today. Otherwise, just go with Morrison's New X-Men and Whedon's Astonishing.
    You could do both?

I started with Morrison, then went through Whedon, Fraction, Gillen and into Marvel Now X Titles, while also reading backwards from UXM Omnibus 1-2 and then trades of others.

I think if you mix the classic and the new it's easier to get through, because on their own some of the classics are a mega slog when a modern reader is going through them.