Page 141 of 212 FirstFirst ... 4191131137138139140141142143144145151191 ... LastLast
Results 2,101 to 2,115 of 3174

^I used to like when they split the covers like that. Just for a short time. A panel across the cover under the logo with one color. White here.And the little avatars too. The heroes all lined up.Or balloons for their faces if their were many like in The Defenders early issues. The headcount for that issue. I miss that stuff.

Five for a dollar.

sigh

Quote Originally Posted by Custodes View Post
    ^I used to like when they split the covers like that. Just for a short time. A panel across the cover under the logo with one color. White here.And the little avatars too. The heroes all lined up.Or balloons for their faces if their were many like in The Defenders early issues. The headcount for that issue. I miss that stuff.

Five for a dollar.

sigh
    And you actually got a complete story in one issue.

sigh. sigh.

Lick on, sweet prince. Sea Hound's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Reviresco View Post
    Sunday is the SAVAGE SEVENTIES
    Day 10

Sub-Mariner #58
    by Gil Kane and Bill Everett
    Cover Date: February 1973
    It's only to be expected looking at the creators, but this is a fabulous cover. I particularly like the monster, (is it Abe, who's thinking of doing a monster thread?) but the blonde femme fatale is wonderful too. And I'm a sucker for speech bubbles on covers.

I like the split cover too. It works really well here. I've got to mention the inking too, which is really precise and beautiful. Not a line more or less than needed.

It's amazing Reviresco, that after a whole year of more or less daily posting, there's still such gems left. It just goes to show how much depth there is in Namor's history.
    Last edited by Sea Hound; 01-11-2016 at 12:44 AM.
    "Self has no time for this."

Marvel's 1st Superhero Reviresco's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Sea Hound View Post
    It's only to be expected looking at the creators, but this is a fabulous cover. I particularly like the monster, (is it Abe, who's thinking of doing a monster thread?) but the blonde femme fatale is wonderful too. And I'm a sucker for speech bubbles on covers.

I like the split cover too. It works really well here. I've got to mention the inking too, which is really precise and beautiful. Not a line more or less than needed.

It's amazing Reviresco, that after a whole year of more or less daily posting, there's still such gems left. It just goes to show how much depth there is in Namor's history.
    Yep, it certainly does. I'll have to check the other decades and see how far along they are, but the 70s is particularly awesome for Namor appearances / covers. After a year of posting, we are only in 1973! Plus, I've been using the 70s Invaders covers to make up the 50s decades. So, yes, there's still plenty of good stuff to come.

As with his other talents, Bill Everett's inking is underrated. He makes anyone's work that much more polished.

I do love Tamara inviting Namor into the dying!
    Namor the Sub-Mariner, Marvel's oldest character, will have been published for 85 years in 2024. So where's my GOOD Namor anniversary ongoing, Marvel?

Five for a dollar.

sigh
    Quote Originally Posted by Johnny Peril View Post
    And you actually got a complete story in one issue.

sigh. sigh.
    Aaah! Don't remind me. Five for a dollar. Now it's almost 1 for 5 dollars. O_O

I love the corner boxes! Either with the single character or with the team members heads. Great design element, that served a purpose when displayed.

Namor the Sub-Mariner, Marvel's oldest character, will have been published for 85 years in 2024. So where's my GOOD Namor anniversary ongoing, Marvel?

365 Days with Namor, Day 10

"Dorma … NO!! SWAK!"

Namor, there are better ways to tell your lady that the Helmet of Power doesn’t match her gown.

Mighty Member

Sunday is the SAVAGE SEVENTIES
    Day 10

Sub-Mariner #58
    by Gil Kane and Bill Everett
    Cover Date: February 1973
    Love these Gil Kane covers. Gil is the Namor artist that never was, how would I have loved to see Gil Kane doing the comic interiors for awhile, at least we have his covers and i think he did a Defenders Annual I still have to get. This is a very interesting cover. I have seen it before but now I notice that is done by Gil Kane & Bill Everett, two masters teaming up. The foreground figures are clearly Gil Kane but I was always curious about Namor in the background who doesn't have the anatomical details usual in a Gil Kane drawing. Evidently Bill Everett either drew Namor or heavily modified Kane's drawing.
    My art main influences are Richard Corben, Frank Frazetta and John Buscema. For old school comic book heroes with an edge check out my patreon

Quote Originally Posted by Thor-El View Post
    Love these Gil Kane covers. Gil is the Namor artist that never was, how would I have loved to see Gil Kane doing the comic interiors for awhile, at least we have his covers and i think he did a Defenders Annual I still have to get. This is a very interesting cover. I have seen it before but now I notice that is done by Gil Kane & Bill Everett, two masters teaming up. The foreground figures are clearly Gil Kane but I was always curious about Namor in the background who doesn't have the anatomical details usual in a Gil Kane drawing. Evidently Bill Everett either drew Namor or heavily modified Kane's drawing.
    Kane has draw some interiors that had Namor in them. I'm thinking of a What If? issue and a Marvel Team Up and Marvel Two In One. But sadly, no,time he inked he didn't do any Subby interiors.

Everett had a tendency to redraw Namor's face, at the very least, any time he inked him. Old habits, I guess. Though, you are correct, the body looks a lot more like Everett in musculature, than Kane.

Monday is the MARVELOUS 80s
    Day 11

Avengers #286
    by John Buscema and Tom Palmer
    Cover Date: December 1987

Mighty Member

Kane has draw some interiors that had Namor in them. I'm thinking of a What If? issue and a Marvel Team Up and Marvel Two In One. But sadly, no,time he inked he didn't do any Subby interiors.

Everett had a tendency to redraw Namor's face, at the very least, any time he inked him. Old habits, I guess. Though, you are correct, the body looks a lot more like Everett in musculature, than Kane.
    Oh, you remind me I might have that What if. Need to check and maybe get some scans done from it.
    My art main influences are Richard Corben, Frank Frazetta and John Buscema. For old school comic book heroes with an edge check out my patreon

^ Love The Android. From SA FF and MODERN She Hulk comics especially.

Aaah! Don't remind me. Five for a dollar. Now it's almost 1 for 5 dollars. O_O

I love the corner boxes! Either with the single character or with the team members heads. Great design element, that served a purpose when displayed.

They had a magic to me. I loved the style of faces on Defenders 1 -11 or so. The issue (#10, I think) with Thor and Hulk struggling was a favorite issue cover too. Romita I think.

Gil's Giant Sized Defenders #1 cover, has an amazing Namor on it. Gil inked it too I think.

Yes ! A bit of thinking is still needed... and a connection which allows me to update my photobucket account too... and in a week or two I hope that you'll be able to visit a thread about some...

It's amazing but not that much surprising in fact ! Thanks so much for keeping digging the gold mine for us all, Rev !

Astonishing Member

This was from the Wolverine under the influence of the Hand cross over (and that gave him better skills / abilities /ruthlessness or something. ) ... I want to say it was called Enemy of the State? Not sure, I'd have to double check on that. But yes, I agree. Namor's durability and strength get downplayed immensely for this, as were a lot of other characters, IMO.
    Yep, that was "Enemy Of The State". And while I like Namor far more than I have ever liked Wolverine--I have to disagree that his durability is downplayed here. As tough as Namor is, Wolverine's adamantium claws are definitely strong enough to pierce his skin. That's something that puts Namor at a bit of a disadvantage against a foe like Wolverine--Namor tends to be an in-your-face puncher, but that also means he's close enough to get slashed and stabbed by Wolverine's claws if he doesn't move fast enough.

Its one of those fights that could easily go either way--Namor's got the edge in power, but Wolverine has an attack that Namor has basically no defense against except staying out of reach. If Namor lets his temper get the better of him (which he's prone to do), he's definitely at risk of getting beaten due to serious blood loss, despite the fact that he is far more powerful.

(obviously my preference would be to see Namor kick Logan's butt--I just can easily see how this is a fair and legitimate victory for him)

Aww, Namor's depressed.

And what is going on with that servant? He does not look Atlantean at all--the skin colour is all wrong. All he's got going for him are the Spock-ears and the eyebrows...but it doesn't end up making him look Atlantean. It either looks like Namor has acquired a Vulcan or Romulan servant...or that this guy is some sort of defective clone of Namor. He's freaky.

Quote Originally Posted by Dermie View Post
    Yep, that was "Enemy Of The State". And while I like Namor far more than I have ever liked Wolverine--I have to disagree that his durability is downplayed here. As tough as Namor is, Wolverine's adamantium claws are definitely strong enough to pierce his skin. That's something that puts Namor at a bit of a disadvantage against a foe like Wolverine--Namor tends to be an in-your-face puncher, but that also means he's close enough to get slashed and stabbed by Wolverine's claws if he doesn't move fast enough.

Its one of those fights that could easily go either way--Namor's got the edge in power, but Wolverine has an attack that Namor has basically no defense against except staying out of reach. If Namor lets his temper get the better of him (which he's prone to do), he's definitely at risk of getting beaten due to serious blood loss, despite the fact that he is far more powerful.

(obviously my preference would be to see Namor kick Logan's butt--I just can easily see how this is a fair and legitimate victory for him)

Aww, Namor's depressed.

And what is going on with that servant? He does not look Atlantean at all--the skin colour is all wrong. All he's got going for him are the Spock-ears and the eyebrows...but it doesn't end up making him look Atlantean. It either looks like Namor has acquired a Vulcan or Romulan servant...or that this guy is some sort of defective clone of Namor. He's freaky.
    As for the servant. Must be a fill in issue with guest artist or someone elses' book. Either that or another hybrid. Could be just bad research. We've seen many unofficial continuity looking Atlanteans over the years. Namor's seaweed salad must be off. I've gotten a few like that. Like other leafy produce, non-seaside, it just goes bad and breaks down.

Plus the Dreaded Deadline Doom rears it's ugly head quite often. An artist can not finish work or it is lost on the subway/mail etc...they call a fill in like Don Heck who never said no (except that one time he was AWOL and no one could find him and it turned out he was on Fire Island without his wife's knowledge. ) Filling in is often over the telephone and model sheets not available.

Bald does look more.....fishy.

Quote Originally Posted by Thor-El View Post
    Oh, you remind me I might have that What if. Need to check and maybe get some scans done from it.
    I've seen a few panels on the appreciation thread. Sadly, I don't have that book. Must fix that!

^ Love The Android. From SA FF and MODERN She Hulk comics especially.

They had a magic to me. I loved the style of faces on Defenders 1 -11 or so. The issue (#10, I think) with Thor and Hulk struggling was a favorite issue cover too. Romita I think.

Gil's Giant Sized Defenders #1 cover, has an amazing Namor on it. Gil inked it too I think.
    They were great! You could scan the rack and find exactly what you were looking for. And as you said, they changed with the comics. The Invaders had a cool corner box too. I don't think DC did anything like it.

Hmmm. That GS Defenders cover reminds me of GS X-Men ... but actually predates it!