Page 146 of 212 FirstFirst ... 4696136142143144145146147148149150156196 ... LastLast
Results 2,176 to 2,190 of 3174
    Marvel's 1st Superhero Reviresco's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Cold Water View Post
    Kirby??
    I know this is going to sound odd, but his Namor is *starting* to grow on me.
    I KNOW I KNOW. I should love Kirby's every single everything. But I am so damn picky when it comes to Namor.
    It's not the worst Namor, but it's not necessarily my favorite. It's inching into my top 5, though, the more I see it.
    Kirby's Namor isn't my favorite. It's the way he draws the eyebrows, mostly. Those are some SCARY eyebrows.
    Namor the Sub-Mariner, Marvel's oldest character, will have been published for 85 years in 2024. So where's my GOOD Namor anniversary ongoing, Marvel?

Quote Originally Posted by Reviresco View Post
    Kirby's Namor isn't my favorite. It's the way he draws the eyebrows, mostly. Those are some SCARY eyebrows.
    It IS the eyebrows.
    And what makes them scary is they are expressionless (at least most of time, iirc).
    Compare it to Everett's Namor. The eyebrows on Everett's Namor express emotion.

The eyebrows on Everett's Namor seem to be something the character was based on/a main and important physical feature vs. Kirby's Namor where the eyebrows were an afterthought/added because, well, people have to have eyebrows.
    Last edited by Cold Water; 01-18-2016 at 04:40 AM.
    "All it takes for sexism to prosper is for good men to see nothing."

Quote Originally Posted by Custodes View Post
    Yes, he was very sick then. He co-wrote and co-penciled the next issue and co-wrote and co-inked the one after. Died near the end of February 1973. He also had a few pages (three maybe) published in Super Villain Team Up #1 (I think a year or two later.) I remember I was devastated then. I was 13. I always remembered the exact spot where I was when I read he had passed away. Syd Shores died around the same time.

RIP.
    I wiki'd right after I posted, and I saw the info.
    55 is awfully young.

Mighty Member

Quote Originally Posted by Custodes View Post
    My favorite kind of cover as a kid. Two "strong guys" clenched in battle. Full figures and in the foreground. Wonderful cover.

Yes, he was very sick then. He co-wrote and co-penciled the next issue and co-wrote and co-inked the one after. Died near the end of February 1973. He also had a few pages (three maybe) published in Super Villain Team Up #1 (I think a year or two later.) I remember I was devastated then. I was 13. I always remembered the exact spot where I was when I read he had passed away. Syd Shores died around the same time.

RIP.
    Wow, very interesting facts about this issue and Mr. Everett. RIP. Thank you Custodes.
    My art main influences are Richard Corben, Frank Frazetta and John Buscema. For old school comic book heroes with an edge check out my patreon

Amazing Member

great thread here, all, spending a few hours here got me to sign up for the site.

IMPERIOUS REX!!!

Quote Originally Posted by GenghisDon View Post
    great thread here, all, spending a few hours here got me to sign up for the site.

IMPERIOUS REX!!!
    Yessssssss.
    Welcome!

IMPERIOUS REX!!!
    And, please, join us here:
    http://community.comicbookresources....r-Appreciation

WELCOME !!! IMPERIUS REX !!!

And exactly what Cold Water said !!!

You can also have a look to the truly marvelous two Namor the Sub-Mariner Advent Calendars (Reviresco has a secret for really nice threads... and there are others ! )

http://community.comicbookresources....dvent-Calendar

http://community.comicbookresources....ghlight=advent
    Last edited by Abe; 01-18-2016 at 12:49 PM.

Amazing Member

Thanks for the warm welcome! I'll check them out

Mighty Member

IMPERIOUS REX!!!
    Welcome GenghisDon! And yes if you are a Namor fan everything Reviresco is worth checking out and subscribing.
    My art main influences are Richard Corben, Frank Frazetta and John Buscema. For old school comic book heroes with an edge check out my patreon

IMPERIOUS REX!!!
    Welcome, GenghisDon! What they said!

Imperius Rex!!!
    "Once more the Sith will rule the galaxy... and we shall have peace."

Greetings, Chicken!!! Mantis Girl 94's Avatar

Welcome GD! The mo the merrier!

Quote Originally Posted by Cold Water View Post
    I wiki'd right after I posted, and I saw the info.
    55 is awfully young.
    Nothing like an online encyclopedia.

IMPERIOUS REX!!!
    Willkommen, Bienvenue, Wecome....

Astonishing Member

Hmmmm. I don't know. It could be Betty. Wait ... distorted head. Noooo!
    Perhaps it was some odd sort of genetic mutation bio-weapon that was going around at the time--distorting the head shapes of everyone it infected! Namor and Betty got infected during one of their adventures....but were eventually cured!

Shark is very creepy looking. Not sure why, but he is unsettling.
    It might have something to do with the fact that his head is still human (although grotesque) whereas the rest of his body is clearly not human. That merging of things that don't belong is often unsettling.

LOL! Now, now. Let's not get on Victor's grumpy side.
    Yeah, that definitely wouldn't make Doom happy--he wouldn't even know which one of them he was jealous of!

Quote Originally Posted by Abe View Post
    Nice cover.

Namora's look reminds me quite a bit of She-Ra here. Obviously the colour scheme of her outfit is wrong, but the mini-dress, and the shape of the headdress, and the style and length of her blonde hair...it definitely strikes a familiar note.

She's also got something of a "ta-daa!" entrance going on there, with the way her hands are posed. lol

I know we can't see his facial expression at all, but the Torch just looks shocked at Namora's arrival there.

Lick on, sweet prince. Sea Hound's Avatar

Kirby's faces are often a bit odd looking I think, and his Namor is definitely the oddest.

Nobody even approaches him for sheer joyful exuberance though. His work makes me happy, even if the details can be a bit skew-whiff.
    "Self has no time for this."