Page 142 of 212 FirstFirst ... 4292132138139140141142143144145146152192 ... LastLast
Results 2,116 to 2,130 of 3174
    Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Reviresco View Post
    What a surprisingly striking cover. The lack of a background could have made it overly simple and dull looking--but instead, the all-black background makes Namor and Thing pop off the page, and I think heightens the tension (with some help from the dramatic blurb).

Buscema also does a gorgeous job with Namor's muscular bod here, and I think the colourist deserves a shout out too--the shading really enhances Buscema's great work here. Ben Grimm looks great too, but this is a particularly impressive image of Namor, imo.

I've seen a few panels on the appreciation thread. Sadly, I don't have that book. Must fix that!

They were great! You could scan the rack and find exactly what you were looking for. And as you said, they changed with the comics. The Invaders had a cool corner box too. I don't think DC did anything like it.

Hmmm. That GS Defenders cover reminds me of GS X-Men ... but actually predates it!
    I have trouble finging the Marvel covers in the last few years. Often the words and logo are on the bottom of the comic, under the rack base. How stupid is that? You can't even see if it is a Marvel book sometimes.

Yup...great cover idea. I guess Gil thought-- too good to use only once.

Astonishing Member

"Vic"? Doom paying Namor rent?? lol. Ok, this must be from some "What The?!" type comedy issue.

Who or what is that peering out from behind Namor's throne?? Is that some form of giant sea crab?

I love the casual way Namor is sprawled across throne there, with his one foot up on some other furniture. However, given the way that Doom is keeping his back turned to Namor, I get the impression that Doom would rather that Namor either put that leg down or keep his legs closer together or something. He doesn't seem comfortable with Namor's 'man-spreading'.

Marvel's 1st Superhero Reviresco's Avatar

365 Days with Namor, Day 11

"My Grandfather thinks it’s still locked up in the catacombs."

Young Namor doing his Gatsby impression ... badly.

Also, “it’s a family heirloom’ is much smoother than, “stole it from my grandpa,” young man.
    Namor the Sub-Mariner, Marvel's oldest character, will have been published for 85 years in 2024. So where's my GOOD Namor anniversary ongoing, Marvel?

Quote Originally Posted by Dermie View Post
    "Vic"? Doom paying Namor rent?? lol. Ok, this must be from some "What The?!" type comedy issue.

Who or what is that peering out from behind Namor's throne?? Is that some form of giant sea crab?

I love the casual way Namor is sprawled across throne there, with his one foot up on some other furniture. However, given the way that Doom is keeping his back turned to Namor, I get the impression that Doom would rather that Namor either put that leg down or keep his legs closer together or something. He doesn't seem comfortable with Namor's 'man-spreading'.
    LOL!

Perhaps. Though we all know Doom ... is fascinated with Namor. In this case, I think it's supposed to be more the 'guilty' roommate, though.

Now that you mention the casual sprawl, I am reminded of the panel where Doom is visiting Namor in his bachelor pad. I wonder if this was inspired by it?

This was a great short piece from Strange Tales -- which was indie creators taking Marvel characters for a spin. In this case it was Becky Cloonan, and the crab in the background has a much bigger role, and size, in the story. I'll see if I can find it / scans. It was a lot of fun.
    Namor the Sub-Mariner, Marvel's oldest character, will have been published for 85 years in 2024. So where's my GOOD Namor anniversary ongoing, Marvel?

Tuesday is THE TANTALIZING 21st CENTURY
    Day 12

New Avengers: Illuminati #3
    by Jim Cheung
    Cover Date: July 2007

Quote Originally Posted by Custodes View Post
    I have trouble finging the Marvel covers in the last few years. Often the words and logo are on the bottom of the comic, under the rack base. How stupid is that? You can't even see if it is a Marvel book sometimes.

Yup...great cover idea. I guess Gil thought-- too good to use only once.
    Was it Gil Kane, or Dave Cockrum who did that cover? It probably wasn't a new idea with GS Defenders ... I wonder who did it first?

Yes, I have the same problem when looking through long boxes. Some of the covers even had the logo on the bottom of the cover! It's annoying as heck. And Marvel knew what it was doing, as I recall Alonso talking about it in one of is columns, and about how they didn't need to put that stuff on the top anymore, cause it was a 'relic' of the news stands days, and how it freed up the cover design. Uhn huhn.

What a surprisingly striking cover. The lack of a background could have made it overly simple and dull looking--but instead, the all-black background makes Namor and Thing pop off the page, and I think heightens the tension (with some help from the dramatic blurb).

Buscema also does a gorgeous job with Namor's muscular bod here, and I think the colourist deserves a shout out too--the shading really enhances Buscema's great work here. Ben Grimm looks great too, but this is a particularly impressive image of Namor, imo.

It does indeed POP off the page. It also made it hard to find a pristine copy, as it showed the fingerprints more. Buscema liked it though, as he did it again with other battling duos. I think Hulk and Thing had one.

And I just love John Buscema's Namor. He's perfect, IMO.

Aww, Namor's depressed.

And what is going on with that servant? He does not look Atlantean at all--the skin colour is all wrong. All he's got going for him are the Spock-ears and the eyebrows...but it doesn't end up making him look Atlantean. It either looks like Namor has acquired a Vulcan or Romulan servant...or that this guy is some sort of defective clone of Namor. He's freaky.
    I may be reaching here but since Atlanteans developed a pill that allows them to breath air and Namor and his servant look like they're in a non water environment maybe...well, you know where I'm going.

365 Days with Namor, Day 12

"Any idea WHO these bald-headed rats are, Cap?"

"Nope! Just keep sluggin’, Namor!"

Soooo, we can blame Captain America for Namor’s tendency to punch first and ask questions later?

Was it Gil Kane, or Dave Cockrum who did that cover? It probably wasn't a new idea with GS Defenders ... I wonder who did it first?

Yes, I have the same problem when looking through long boxes. Some of the covers even had the logo on the bottom of the cover! It's annoying as heck. And Marvel knew what it was doing, as I recall Alonso talking about it in one of is columns, and about how they didn't need to put that stuff on the top anymore, cause it was a 'relic' of the news stands days, and how it freed up the cover design. Uhn huhn.
    I think Gil did rough layouts. His was the design. Dave finished the pencils....details and finished art plus the inks. When a signature or initials are printed, the one who starts (usually all pencils but here just layouts) signs his name first. Here GK just above the D(E?)C. Dave might have spent more time working on it. He wasn't as fast as Gil. Plus as his new book, Marvel wanted "a look." and the look was his. Hence the finishing pencils.Plus Gil probably had his hands full. So many covers then. I'm not surprised two similar ones came out around the same time. X-Men was printed first. Dave was pretty new at Marvel fresh from Titans at DC. Ye Olde Editer wanted Dave to understand Marvel's more dynamic cover style.
    "Gil will show you the ropes." Then hands Dave rough layouts. Marvel would hand out many covers assignments to be done at the same time. These GS X-Men #1 and GS Defenders #1 could have been done at the very same time by Gil. Dave designed the costumes first though( or he could have just corrected the layouts after getting them.) He created the new X-Men look, so similar to his wild Titans costumes, we all thought were very "now" at the time. At least we youngsters. I was 13 or 14.

I think Dave designed costumes. Not relevant except it is the first issue and the first we saw them. Gil did cover "design layouts" and Dave finished the pencils and inked. Why have Gil at all if it wasn't done this way? Why not have Dave do it all?

May to July dates are pretty close. Funny thing is, I picked Giant Sized Defenders #1 up in July the week it came out (Marked May). Cover dates being off then. GS Defenders must have come out later, October or so.
    Last edited by Custodes; 01-13-2016 at 11:27 AM.

Astonishing Member

LOL!

Perhaps. Though we all know Doom ... is fascinated with Namor. In this case, I think it's supposed to be more the 'guilty' roommate, though.
    True. And perhaps Doom doesn't want Namor to catch him peeking.

This was a great short piece from Strange Tales -- which was indie creators taking Marvel characters for a spin. In this case it was Becky Cloonan, and the crab in the background has a much bigger role, and size, in the story. I'll see if I can find it / scans. It was a lot of fun.
    I'll look forward to seeing it, thanks.

Oh, Namor...you are usually better with snappy retorts than that. "You will touch it....never!" It sounds like you're starting to slip into Herc-speak ("thou shalt touch it not!").

(it also sounds like something one might say to put off a pushy suitor... )

And all due respect to the creative team...but I'm gonna have to call baloney on that cover blurb. You can't expect to maintain any credibility when you try and tell us that a guy in a skirt, goggles and an oversized bandana is "the most fantastic villain of all". Go sit in the corner and feel shame!

A guy with a name like Dragon-Lord should not look so stupid. lol

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Cold Water View Post
    Headhunter! She was a fun villain. Her particular gimmick did not lend itself to her becoming a recurring part of Namor's rogues gallery, but it was still a fun story--and I was pleasantly surprised to see her turn up a few years ago in the VILLAINS FOR HIRE miniseries. Nice to see she wasn't forgotten.

It does indeed POP off the page. It also made it hard to find a pristine copy, as it showed the fingerprints more.
    Yeah, that IS a problem with black covers.

And I just love John Buscema's Namor. He's perfect, IMO.
    No argument here. lol

Wednesday is THE WILD '90s
    Day 13

Namor the Sub-Mariner #30
    by Jae Lee
    Cover Date: September 1992

An entirely appropriate cover on the release of Secret Wars #9

Headhunter! She was a fun villain. Her particular gimmick did not lend itself to her becoming a recurring part of Namor's rogues gallery, but it was still a fun story--and I was pleasantly surprised to see her turn up a few years ago in the VILLAINS FOR HIRE miniseries. Nice to see she wasn't forgotten.

Yeah, that IS a problem with black covers.

No argument here. lol
    I'm glad we agree on the awesomeness of Big John's Namor.

Headhunter was very "Wall Street" 90s. Nowadays we'd have someone named The One Percent. Or maybe Hedge Fund!

And yes, I was so surprised to see her in that Villains for Hire series.