Page 159 of 212 FirstFirst ... 59109149155156157158159160161162163169209 ... LastLast
Results 2,371 to 2,385 of 3174
    Marvel's 1st Superhero Reviresco's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Johnny Peril View Post
    Why is Namor's head flat? He looks like Hammerhead.
    I have no idea. You'd think, with John Buscema doing the layouts, it would be more like his original bullet head, but for some reason, perhaps Tom Palmer's finishes, or some editorial mandate, they started drawing Namor with the flat top hair cut / head. Though, arguably, it is more in line with Everett's look for Namor.
    Last edited by Reviresco; 02-09-2016 at 03:36 AM.
    Namor the Sub-Mariner, Marvel's oldest character, will have been published for 85 years in 2024. So where's my GOOD Namor anniversary ongoing, Marvel?

365 Days with Namor, Day 39

"Atlantis has risen again! We are a whole people once more!"

And may Neptune’s prophecy be fulfilled again ASAP!

Namor the Sub-Mariner, Marvel's oldest character, will have been published for 85 years in 2024. So where's my GOOD Namor anniversary ongoing, Marvel?

Tuesday is the TANTALIZING 21st CENTURY

Alternate reality Namor.

"Magnificent, Susan. The storm of Atlantis."
    "Once more the Sith will rule the galaxy... and we shall have peace."

Mighty Member

Quote Originally Posted by Reviresco View Post

365 Days with Namor, Day 38

"There are those who would stand with the many against the few.
    But Namor will never be amongst them."

This is very nice artwork, what is it from?
    My art main influences are Richard Corben, Frank Frazetta and John Buscema. For old school comic book heroes with an edge check out my patreon

Quote Originally Posted by Thor-El View Post
    This is very nice artwork, what is it from?
    It's one of your favorites, Thor-El, Greg Land, from Uncanny X-Men (2011) 11 -- the opening salvo of AvX.

This was the panel I was looking for in response to the modern heroic Namor, or lack of, conversation. Kieron Gillen, the writer, did show flashes of it, but mainly concentrated on the sexy aspect of our sea prince.

Tuesday is THE TANTALIZING 21st CENTURY
    Day 40

Sub-Mariner (2007) #3
    by Lenil Yu
    Cover Date: October 2007

Astonishing Member

That is a very cool looking cover, and it would definitely make me curious to pick up the issue and see what's going on!

"3 sub-sea sagas for the price of one"? This issue was made up of three short stories, rather than a full-length tale? That seems ill-advised--I can't imagine be able to do the motley crew on that cover justice with the page count of an issue that is divided into three!

I'm sure its just silt from the ocean's floor being kicked up by the struggle--but it looks like the ground is exploding beneath Namor's feet!

That is a VERY skimpy-looking swimsuit on Octopus-Man. But at least it is more intact than Axe-Man's--his seems to be in shreds!

And speaking of Axe-Man...an axe? Underwater? That just strikes me as a very odd weapon for that environment.

Hammerhead-Man...oh, you poor thing. He has no neck at all--he shoulders are coming directly out the side of his head. So if he were to be standing upright, his face is pointing up instead of forward. I guess that works ok for him underwater, but he would be terribly awkward if he ever ended up on land.

And Namor is actually encountering a classic-look mermaid! Amazingly enough, I can't think of any other time I've seen Namor encounter human-torso/fish-tail person! Knowing Namor, I'm guessing some degree of romance occurred here (more likely with her than with Octopus-Man and his tentacles...)

Mighty Member

It's one of your favorites, Thor-El, Greg Land, from Uncanny X-Men (2011) 11 -- the opening salvo of AvX.

This was the panel I was looking for in response to the modern heroic Namor, or lack of, conversation. Kieron Gillen, the writer, did show flashes of it, but mainly concentrated on the sexy aspect of our sea prince.
    Ah Greg Land, still looking forward to a Comoxology sale to finally get my Greg Land X-Men/Sub-Mariner fix. I'm thinking when X-Men Apokolipse comes out end of May probably.
    My art main influences are Richard Corben, Frank Frazetta and John Buscema. For old school comic book heroes with an edge check out my patreon

Wednesday is the WILD '90s

"Theses waters are my province! No one-- least of all you-- commands The Avenging Son!"
    "Once more the Sith will rule the galaxy... and we shall have peace."

Wednesday is the WILD '90s

"Theses waters are my province! No one-- least of all you-- commands The Avenging Son!"
    Man, Namor mouthing off to a sea goddess! Giant sized cohones. O_O

365 Days with Namor, Day 40

"This is one of the cleverest inventions that ever came out of the Emperor’s brain!
    Done!
    TROJAN ALBATROSS!"

Beware Atlanteans bearing gift … Albatross.

From Thor-El's excellent Golden Age Namor Readathon

Wednesday is THE WILD '90s
    Day 41

Namor the Sub-Mariner Annual #2
    by James Fry
    Cover Date: 1992

Quote Originally Posted by Thor-El View Post
    Ah Greg Land, still looking forward to a Comoxology sale to finally get my Greg Land X-Men/Sub-Mariner fix. I'm thinking when X-Men Apokolipse comes out end of May probably.
    I'll try to keep an eye on those sales, but I haven't been doing well this year.

Quote Originally Posted by Dermie View Post
    That is a very cool looking cover, and it would definitely make me curious to pick up the issue and see what's going on!

"3 sub-sea sagas for the price of one"? This issue was made up of three short stories, rather than a full-length tale? That seems ill-advised--I can't imagine be able to do the motley crew on that cover justice with the page count of an issue that is divided into three!
    Yep, three different stories. This was back when Everett was doing the book, and he couldn't always make the deadline. So, we got a few pages of the new tale that Everett was doing. The fill in story by Alan Weiss, which is what the cover is about. And then an Atlas Era Everett Namor story.

I'd really like to know what the sales were on Subby back then.

Quote Originally Posted by Dermie View Post
    I'm sure its just silt from the ocean's floor being kicked up by the struggle--but it looks like the ground is exploding beneath Namor's feet!

That is a VERY skimpy-looking swimsuit on Octopus-Man. But at least it is more intact than Axe-Man's--his seems to be in shreds!

And speaking of Axe-Man...an axe? Underwater? That just strikes me as a very odd weapon for that environment.

Hammerhead-Man...oh, you poor thing. He has no neck at all--he shoulders are coming directly out the side of his head. So if he were to be standing upright, his face is pointing up instead of forward. I guess that works ok for him underwater, but he would be terribly awkward if he ever ended up on land.

And Namor is actually encountering a classic-look mermaid! Amazingly enough, I can't think of any other time I've seen Namor encounter human-torso/fish-tail person! Knowing Namor, I'm guessing some degree of romance occurred here (more likely with her than with Octopus-Man and his tentacles...)
    LOL! No, Octopus Guy was definitely NOT attractive.

The 1980s mini-series had a blonde mermaid on the cover. But yes, I don't recall too many fish tailed merfolk. It seems something most Namor writers wanted to avoid. And yes, there was a degree of romantic attraction ... which didn't come across well, IMO, especially considering how Namor resisted Diane Arliss.

Ax Guy was more of a Primitive Weapon Guy -- in fact, all of them were a bit ... scruffy. But didn't Attuma use an axe? I think that would be a better weapon than a mace, or a club. At least it's got a thin edge that sort of cuts thru the water. It sort of looks like Namor is about to use Axe Guy's weapon to cut off OctoMan's tentacle wrapped around Namor's wrist!

I agree. Those straight lines in the puffs of silt make it look like it's exploding from Namor stamping his feet.

Hmmmm. IIRC, I think the mermaid referred to these guys as mutants??? Now I'll have to dig out this story. ;p

Tuesday is the TANTALIZING 21st CENTURY

Alternate reality Namor.

"Magnificent, Susan. The storm of Atlantis."
    Another great panel! I'd love to have seen Parker do more with this alternate Namor and Sue.