Page 160 of 212 FirstFirst ... 60110150156157158159160161162163164170210 ... LastLast
Results 2,386 to 2,400 of 3174
    Marvel's 1st Superhero Reviresco's Avatar

365 Days with Namor, Day 41

"This is your creation, isn’t it ‘Smilin’ Stan Lee!“

Namor CRUNCHING evil creations of “Smilin’ Stan Lee!!!
    We've entered the Meta-Zone!

Namor the Sub-Mariner, Marvel's oldest character, will have been published for 85 years in 2024. So where's my GOOD Namor anniversary ongoing, Marvel?

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Reviresco View Post
    Yep, three different stories. This was back when Everett was doing the book, and he couldn't always make the deadline. So, we got a few pages of the new tale that Everett was doing. The fill in story by Alan Weiss, which is what the cover is about. And then an Atlas Era Everett Namor story.
    Huh. That's too bad--the image on that cover suggests a more interesting story than should really been compressed into such a small page count.

LOL! No, Octopus Guy was definitely NOT attractive.
    Well, some people do have a thing for tentacles... Different strokes for different folks, as the saying goes...

The 1980s mini-series had a blonde mermaid on the cover.
    Ah yes, that's right.

But yes, I don't recall too many fish tailed merfolk. It seems something most Namor writers wanted to avoid.
    I wonder if that is deliberate, or just coincidence? Having more humanoid Atlanteans is certainly more convenient for storytelling purposes.

And yes, there was a degree of romantic attraction ... which didn't come across well, IMO, especially considering how Namor resisted Diane Arliss.
    I guess Namor just wanted some tail.

Ax Guy was more of a Primitive Weapon Guy -- in fact, all of them were a bit ... scruffy. But didn't Attuma use an axe? I think that would be a better weapon than a mace, or a club. At least it's got a thin edge that sort of cuts thru the water.
    Fair point.

Hmmmm. IIRC, I think the mermaid referred to these guys as mutants??? Now I'll have to dig out this story. ;p
    LOL, yay--maybe then we can get a few more scans from the story.

As for "mutants"--the question is whether it means small m or big M "mutants". It could mean 'mutant' in the proper scientific definition of something that has mutated from its starting point, as opposed to the species of Mutants that possesses the X-gene.

"Nor is your physique much better!"

Your equipment is sub-par and your physique even worse!
    Ouch!
    Ouch! That's harsh! Of course, Trapster can't really expect much better--he's out of his league going up against Namor. True, he usually goes up against the FF...but he also usually has a whole team with him. Trapster solo is better off against more "street-level" foes.

As for Trapster's physique--his bulky costume actually obscures it a fair bit. In his early days he was certainly heavy-set...but in more recent years he has lost weight and gotten a bit more toned. I've seen a few stories over the years with Trapster out of costume and was surprised.

Namor grabs Trapster's equipment, and it immediately squirts out the sticky white stuff. No wonder Namor was insulting it--it went off too soon!

Thursday THE TERRIFIC '30s & '40s
    Day 42

All Select Comics #10
    by Alex Schomburg
    Cover Date: Summer 1946
    Namor the Sub-Mariner, Marvel's oldest character, will have been published for 85 years in 2024. So where's my GOOD Namor anniversary ongoing, Marvel?

Quote Originally Posted by Dermie View Post
    Huh. That's too bad--the image on that cover suggests a more interesting story than should really been compressed into such a small page count.
    Looked it up, and there's a 10 page new story by Everett that wraps up the Sunfire story and has a cute ending with Nita. The cover story is only 6 pages! And then the Atlas era reprint is only 4 pages -- it was one of the Kid Namor stories Everett did. It was titled, "The Sub-Mariner Gets a Lesson in Humility From Namora." Obviously, he failed that lesson abysmally. ;p

Well, some people do have a thing for tentacles... Different strokes for different folks, as the saying goes... : p
    And the Atlanteans are different. But usually we see Namor fighting creatures with tentacles ... though, there was that one time ... O_O

I wonder if that is deliberate, or just coincidence? Having more humanoid Atlanteans is certainly more convenient for storytelling purposes.
    I'm not sure about this, but I think for Everett, he was more interested in a scientific Namor, rather than a magic / mythical Namor -- remember, he didn't go with Atlantis as the home of the Sub-Mariners. Though, there are many mythical elements innate to any sea character. Plus, he already had the full blooded Sub-Mariners look kind of fish like.

Whereas, in the Silver Age, they completely avoided any fish attributes. They wanted them to be wholly human like, except that they had gills.

Now, I'll have to be on the lookout for any Everett mermaids.

LOL, yay--maybe then we can get a few more scans from the story.

I guess Namor just wanted some tail.

I would say, I can't believe you went there, but that would be a lie. LOL! Also, it sadly was exactly the case.

I'll definitely post a panel tonite or tomorrow for you.

As for "mutants"--the question is whether it means small m or big M "mutants". It could mean 'mutant' in the proper scientific definition of something that has mutated from its starting point, as opposed to the species of Mutants that possesses the X-gene.
    At this time, they didn't have the X-gene stuff, so it's hard to say. These were pretty radical mutations from the norm, however. And they were treated as outcasts. This seems to be a period where the Atlanteans were portrayed more like the airbreathers, negatively. And Namor is portrayed as a rather naive about his own people, and not a bigot. Not sure if that was Mike Friedrich or Everett's idea, though I suspect the former.

Ouch! That's harsh! Of course, Trapster can't really expect much better--he's out of his league going up against Namor. True, he usually goes up against the FF...but he also usually has a whole team with him. Trapster solo is better off against more "street-level" foes.

As for Trapster's physique--his bulky costume actually obscures it a fair bit. In his early days he was certainly heavy-set...but in more recent years he has lost weight and gotten a bit more toned. I've seen a few stories over the years with Trapster out of costume and was surprised.
    I think Trapster does have the rest of his crew with him ... but they are still out gunned. Of course, they are out gunned by the FF, too. And Spidey. And just about everyone. He's better off against non-super powered folks.

Namor grabs Trapster's equipment, and it immediately squirts out the sticky white stuff. No wonder Namor was insulting it--it went off too soon!

Only because I'm laughing so hard!
    (I knew Johnny Peril's image would come in handy!)

Astonishing Member

Looked it up, and there's a 10 page new story by Everett that wraps up the Sunfire story and has a cute ending with Nita. The cover story is only 6 pages!
    6!! How can you possibly tell a proper story with such an intriguing collection of aqua characters as that in only 6 pages?!?

While people do have valid complaints about some modern stories that are too "decompressed", there are plenty of the old classic stories that suffer from the exact opposite problem--too much material crammed into too short a story.

And then the Atlas era reprint is only 4 pages -- it was one of the Kid Namor stories Everett did. It was titled, "The Sub-Mariner Gets a Lesson in Humility From Namora." Obviously, he failed that lesson abysmally.
    Yeah, humility isn't exactly his best subject. (he scored higher in Sex Ed)

I'm not sure about this, but I think for Everett, he was more interested in a scientific Namor, rather than a magic / mythical Namor -- remember, he didn't go with Atlantis as the home of the Sub-Mariners. Though, there are many mythical elements innate to any sea character. Plus, he already had the full blooded Sub-Mariners look kind of fish like.
    Yes, those fishy Atlanteans are rather freaky looking.

Now, I'll have to be on the lookout for any Everett mermaids.
    Happy hunting!

I would say, I can't believe you went there, but that would be a lie. LOL! Also, it sadly was exactly the case.

I'll definitely post a panel tonite or tomorrow for you.
    I'll look forward to it.

And how could I possibly pass up a line like that? lol

It is odd that Namor resisted Diane's advances on him though...its rather unlike him, isn't it? lol

I think Trapster does have the rest of his crew with him ... but they are still out gunned.
    Yeah, I'm pretty sure this is still a Frightful Four story. But in this particular panel he is going up against Namor alone. That won't end well.

Of course, they are out gunned by the FF, too. And Spidey. And just about everyone. He's better off against non-super powered folks.
    That said, he did defeat Mr. Fantastic by himself once. And he's actually smarter than people tend to remember, but between him working for Wizard (who is better known as a genius) and his original codename being "Paste Pot Pete" people tend to just assume he is an idiot and write him off as a joke. And while he IS good for comic relief, he can also be used effectively for serious stuff too.

Only because I'm laughing so hard!
    (I knew Johnny Peril's image would come in handy!)
    lol. It IS a great panel...and we get plenty of opportunity to use it in this thread, with our various innuendo-laden posts!

More Stern-run AVENGERS awesomeness!!!

Good thing Black Knight has his atomic steed there...otherwise he'd be at a huge disadvantage in an underwater battle, wearing all that chainmail!

365 Days with Namor, Day 42

"This enigmatic beauty deserves … ah, a royal investigation!“

Oh, Namor.
    At least you didn’t mention your royal trident.

Mighty Member

365 Days with Namor, Day 41

"This is your creation, isn’t it ‘Smilin’ Stan Lee!“

Namor CRUNCHING evil creations of “Smilin’ Stan Lee!!!
    We've entered the Meta-Zone!

This is awesome, I don't remember Namor ever breaking the fourth wall. This must be a Fantastic Four annual, right? And that crown has to be one of my favorites cause I've seen some really awful ones.
    My art main influences are Richard Corben, Frank Frazetta and John Buscema. For old school comic book heroes with an edge check out my patreon

Quote Originally Posted by Thor-El View Post
    This is awesome, I don't remember Namor ever breaking the fourth wall. This must be a Fantastic Four annual, right? And that crown has to be one of my favorites cause I've seen some really awful ones.
    It's a What If issue. I think #11, What if the Bullpen Became the FF?

Really? I was just going on about how I didn't like this style of his crown in the appreciation thread. Different strokes.

Friday is the FABULOUS '50s & FANTASTIC TEAMS
    Day 43

Invaders #41
    by Al Milgrom
    Cover Date: September 1979

Not sure why there's 4 months between this issue and the last, even if it is double-sized. But it is the last issue of the original run of the Invaders.

365 Days with Namor, Day 43

"An idiotic giant head that has the gall to call itself ‘the Supreme Intelligence’.“

Now Namor. Don’t let that torture chair you’re strapped into, in the heart of Hala, keep you from telling the ruler of the Kree what you really think.

Astonishing Member

[/CENTER]

A "royal investigation"? Is THAT what the kids are calling it these days?

Its interesting that she is wearing a loincloth--usually with mermaid characters we don't see them wearing anything below the waist, in their non-human half.

A "royal investigation"? Is THAT what the kids are calling it these days?

Its interesting that she is wearing a loincloth--usually with mermaid characters we don't see them wearing anything below the waist, in their non-human half.
    Well, that's what Namor is calling it.

I didn't notice that, but yes, I guess that's what it is. It's weird, cause it is drawn a little like fins on the edges ... and it's a different color from her top.

Saturday is the SWINGING SIXTIES
    Day 44

Sub-Mariner #17
    art by Marie Severin
    Cover Date: September 1969

365 Days with Namor, Day 44

"Nita! Let go of that surface man!"

C’mon cuz! You can’t claim ALL the surface crawlers!

Mighty Member

That's an ink stray line that turned into a coloring error. If you notice that's the center line defining a front fin that wandered to the side.
    My art main influences are Richard Corben, Frank Frazetta and John Buscema. For old school comic book heroes with an edge check out my patreon