Page 162 of 212 FirstFirst ... 62112152158159160161162163164165166172 ... LastLast
Results 2,416 to 2,430 of 3174
    Lick on, sweet prince. Sea Hound's Avatar

That's a deceptively simple, but amazing cover by Djurdjevic. His anatomical drawing is technically perfect; but he also manages to deliver a freaky/horrific image. (That tongue wrapped around Namor's neck! Ewwww!!!) It's not so easy to have beautiful technique and be so expressive at the same time.

image.jpg

Djurdjevic often posts his pencils, and they're beautiful. Sorry the quality isn't great on this one.

Is the initiative a good story, incidentally? I've never read it.
    Last edited by Sea Hound; 02-16-2016 at 05:33 PM.
    "Self has no time for this."

Marvel's 1st Superhero Reviresco's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Sea Hound View Post
    That's a deceptively simple, but amazing cover by Djurdjevic. His anatomical drawing is technically perfect; but he also manages to deliver a freaky/horrific image. (That tongue wrapped around Namor's neck! Ewwww!!!) It's not so easy to have beautiful technique and be so expressive at the same time.

image.jpg

Djurdjevic often posts his pencils, and they're beautiful. Sorry the quality isn't great on this one.

Is the initiative a good story, incidentally? I've never read it.
    I agree. This is an amazing cover, and the anatomy and perspective could have easily been botched by another artist. I love this sort cover from Marko so much more than his "collage" group covers / posters -- though those seem more popular. The only thing I don't care for on this cover is Namor's face ... though being strangled by a giant tongue, being gased by Venom halitosis, and starring at his slimy tonsils -- while being yanked on by Venom webs MIGHT make one look less than model perfect. ;p

Thanks for posting those pencils. I enjoy seeing the process, and that's a lovely piece in intself.

This mini-series was also called Sub-Mariner Revolution. Have you read that trade? I thought it was a good story, but at the time I read it, I wasn't prepared for that version of Namor. It's got a political crisis / thriller spine, but with lots of guest stars, as Namor goes to various supers unsuccessfully looking for help, as he tracks down a rogue element from Atlantis looking to start WWIII. It features a very ruthless Namor, so I had some misgivings about it. It takes the sovereign protector aspect to the extreme, to show he's bada$$, I guess. There was also one element I totally disagree with. The ending page, however, was awesome.
    Namor the Sub-Mariner, Marvel's oldest character, will have been published for 85 years in 2024. So where's my GOOD Namor anniversary ongoing, Marvel?

Quote Originally Posted by Reviresco View Post
    I agree. This is an amazing cover, and the anatomy and perspective could have easily been botched by another artist. I love this sort cover from Marko so much more than his "collage" group covers / posters -- though those seem more popular. The only thing I don't care for on this cover is Namor's face ... though being strangled by a giant tongue, being gased by Venom halitosis, and starring at his slimy tonsils -- while being yanked on by Venom webs MIGHT make one look less than model perfect. ;p

Thanks for posting those pencils. I enjoy seeing the process, and that's a lovely piece in intself.

This mini-series was also called Sub-Mariner Revolution. Have you read that trade? I thought it was a good story, but at the time I read it, I wasn't prepared for that version of Namor. It's got a political crisis / thriller spine, but with lots of guest stars, as Namor goes to various supers unsuccessfully looking for help, as he tracks down a rogue element from Atlantis looking to start WWIII. It features a very ruthless Namor, so I had some misgivings about it. It takes the sovereign protector aspect to the extreme, to show he's bada$$, I guess. There was also one element I totally disagree with. The ending page, however, was awesome.
    I hadn't noticed the face...at least everything else is pretty. Speaking as someone who can't give good face on camera at the best of times, I can't blame Namor here. Tongue, breath, mouth eww.

I haven't read the mini, but I might look it up on Marvel Unlimited. (I find it great for stuff that I fancy reading, but don't really want to own). It's funny how some interpretations of Namor are far more ruthless than others. I guess that if you're a writer of a character with such a long backstory then you can always find some sort of previous justification for picking out the extremes in characterisation.

365 Days with Namor, Day 47

"Yet, that’s no longer my concern!"

Indeed not! Forget about Doom’s motivations and worry about being bound in the lair of a giant head super-villain, yet again!

Last edited by Reviresco; 02-19-2016 at 03:53 AM.
    Namor the Sub-Mariner, Marvel's oldest character, will have been published for 85 years in 2024. So where's my GOOD Namor anniversary ongoing, Marvel?

Wednesday is THE WILD '90s
    Day 48

Silver Surfer Annual #5
    by Ron Lim
    Cover Date: 1992

I hadn't noticed the face...at least everything else is pretty. Speaking as someone who can't give good face on camera at the best of times, I can't blame Namor here. Tongue, breath, mouth eww.
    Ha. Yes, I guess it would have looked hilarious if Namor was facing the 'camera' and doing the "Blue Steel."

I haven't read the mini, but I might look it up on Marvel Unlimited. (I find it great for stuff that I fancy reading, but don't really want to own). It's funny how some interpretations of Namor are far more ruthless than others. I guess that if you're a writer of a character with such a long backstory then you can always find some sort of previous justification for picking out the extremes in characterisation.
    I would definitely recommend giving it a try, especially on Marvel Unlimited, as I think a lot of modern Namor, both interpretation and what happens to the character. I can see that, though, I think some the ruthlessness, has more to do with a more "realistic" and grim take on rulership. Definitely let us know what you think of the story, if you do read it.

Not a panel or cover, but since we've had so many encounters with crabs in this thread, I thought it belongs here.

https://twitter.com/junayed_/status/698512053431050240

Ugh. Can't figure out how to embed the video here.
    Last edited by Reviresco; 02-18-2016 at 01:55 AM.

365 Days with Namor, Day 48

"In my role of sovereign, I saved my realm at the price of my own soul!
    How then do I differ from Dr. Kissinger?"

I NEVER want to see a comparison picture of Kissinger in a green speedo.
    Also, Namor sacrificing for Atlantis since 1939!

Not a panel or cover, but since we've had so many encounters with crabs in this thread, I thought it belongs here.

https://twitter.com/junayed_/status/698512053431050240

Ugh. Can't figure out how to embed the video here.
    Holy crab Batman! That's horrifying. I'm never going in the ocean again.

Holy crab Batman! That's horrifying. I'm never going in the ocean again.
    LOL! It's bad enough they can pinch in you in delicate places but now, they're all, "I'm gonna cut you!"

Okay, found it on Youtube, so let's see if this works.

Thursday THE TERRIFIC '30s & '40s
    Day 49

All Winners #18
    by Alex Schomburg
    Cover Date: Summer 1946

Astonishing Member

LOL! Even Clea's curls are pointy! I can just imagine the expression on Dr. Strange's face if Namor tried to stage an intervention. Ha!
    The intervention would need to be held by the original Defenders line-up...since Dr. Strange is the one who just doesn't fit in terms of wardrobe. Hulk--shirtless in torn pants. namor--speedo. Silver Surfer--basically naked. Dr. Strange--almost completely covered from head to toe, along with a cape and a headdress that can gouge the eyes out of anyone who accidentally does get a look at his three square inches of exposed flesh.

SILVER SURFER: "Stephen, we need to talk..."
    NAMOR: "You're embarrassing the rest of us with this ridiculous outfit of yours. That collar of yours is not only tacky, but it is a safety hazard. Do you have ANY peripheral vision at all when you go into battle in that thing? You need to start wearing battle-sensible outfits, like the rest of us."
    HULK: "Hulk strip!!"

I remember the story where Kamuu and his sword was introduced, but I didn't recall it being used later. It's actually a Hyborean age artifact that the first sea king found, IIRC.
    Just as long as they don't introduce his enchanted boots, the "Kamuu Toe"...

OMG.

Of course, the solution is that it must be a tear away suit. ;p
    That would work.

(although with Namor's strength, almost every suit is a tear-away suit...the trick is being able to put it back on again after)

I agree with the bolded, though. And you know what a fan of the green speedo I am.
    Aren't we all?

I'm just picturing the next panel being the boulder falling out of the catapult that Namor has lifted over his head and titled on its side...

Not one of his majesty's most dignified moments--knocking himself out while telling everyone to watch him and his majestic might. lol

That IS an impressive display of strength (although my shoulder aches looking at how he's wound that arm back--in preparing to throw it, I assume). I'm not quite sure why there is a wooden catapult in a body of water though...but presumably it makes sense in context. lol

Astonishing Member

Well, it's a story about a very short period of time. I wouldn't say a vignette ... more like a parable / fable.
    Ah. That makes sense. But it does still seem a shame--those character designs look worthy of a bigger story.

I will say it's an odd number page story to have in the drawer -- which I assume was the case here. It's almost like a try-out story in length. I'll have to check and see when Weiss started at Marvel.
    Interesting.

The collection of mutants sort of end up being the mermaid's henchmen. Sort of. None of them get any lines. The story is something of a precursor to the Adkins story two issues later. I don't know if it was Everett's idea or Friedrich's, but the Atlanteans aren't portrayed that well in this and the Adkins' story -- which is where the male half of Tamara's people get killed by the Atlanteans.
    Yeah, the Atlanteans are often not the most likable of people. Granted, they do have legitimate complaints about how the human race has polluted the planet, but their attitudes and customs in general are often...unpleasant.

LOL! I'm sure he did. Namor does strike me as the sort who would excel in things he is interested in, and barely attend classes he wasn't. "Why do I need to learn about that? I have people who do that for me."
    Exactly! lol

Especially the completely black eyed ones. Shark eyes!
    Brrrrr.

I'd wonder if you were a pod person. ;p
    LOL. Yeah, someone trying to replacement ME with an imposter would have to learn my weird sense of humour if they wanted to have a hope in heck of getting away with it.

I don't know. He had committed to Dorma, and loved her, even though he hadn't asked her to marry yet. And remember, he actually turned down Valkyrie, because he was still in love with dead Dorma. Until recently, I'd say Namor was actually mostly monogamous -- though he always held his former loves in affection.
    True enough. But wasn't he also with Dorma during some of his pursuits of Sue in the early days? In any case, Namor has never seemed to have much respect for other people's vows. Namor doesn't seem like he'd give a damn about Sue's wedding vows if she wanted to be with him. And he likewise didn't seem to worried about Emma and Scott's relationship (although given that Scott has cheated on both of his wives, Namor might have assumed that Scott doesn't believe in monogamy...).

I guess the only vows of loyalty that Namor respects are his own?

Yes, Paste Pot Pete doesn't scream INTELLECTUAL or BRAINAC!
    LOL. Exactly--which is the reason he changed codenames.

I didn't know that. But ... now I have this image of a sticky rubberband.
    In Reed's defense, he was suffering from a separate outside influence at the time that was affecting his usual genius...but still, Trapster did manage to defeat him.

No kidding! I've got to find time to read that run again. Definitely some good stuff there, beyond the Namor stuff.
    Absolutely. The introduction of Monica Mambeau; She-Hulk and Starfox joining the roster; Black Knight finally serving as an active member; the Wasp proving herself a capable leader; Hawkeye starting the West Coast team...so much awesomeness during that run!

Quote Originally Posted by Mantis Girl 94 View Post
    A beautiful panel and a very touching dramatic image....

...but don't stare at it too long. Because if you do, then you start to go "Are Namor's arms as thick as his whole torso? Or thicker? Omg...is his wrist band bigger than his waist? Someone has been flushing steroids down the toilet again and its gotten into Atlantis' water supply..."

Quote Originally Posted by Dermie View Post
    The intervention would need to be held by the original Defenders line-up...since Dr. Strange is the one who just doesn't fit in terms of wardrobe. Hulk--shirtless in torn pants. namor--speedo. Silver Surfer--basically naked. Dr. Strange--almost completely covered from head to toe, along with a cape and a headdress that can gouge the eyes out of anyone who accidentally does get a look at his three square inches of exposed flesh.

SILVER SURFER: "Stephen, we need to talk..."
    NAMOR: "You're embarrassing the rest of us with this ridiculous outfit of yours. That collar of yours is not only tacky, but it is a safety hazard. Do you have ANY peripheral vision at all when you go into battle in that thing? You need to start wearing battle-sensible outfits, like the rest of us."
    HULK: "Hulk strip!!"
    LOL! Words NO ONE wants to ever hear ... Hulk STRIP! It would explain why Strange now has permanent Bachalo googly eye. He could never quite get his eyelids back to their normal shape, after his eyes bulged out upon hearing those words.

Namor, of course, is the soul of logic ... and tact.

Just as long as they don't introduce his enchanted boots, the "Kamuu Toe"...
    The world is not ready for the Atlantean Kamuu Toe.

That would work.

(although with Namor's strength, almost every suit is a tear-away suit...the trick is being able to put it back on again after)

Aren't we all?
    Sadly, no. Editorial needs to get with the program!

And excellent point ... as we've seen in the Bryne book, where he repeated had to tear off his business suit.

I'm just picturing the next panel being the boulder falling out of the catapult that Namor has lifted over his head and titled on its side...

Not one of his majesty's most dignified moments--knocking himself out while telling everyone to watch him and his majestic might. lol

That IS an impressive display of strength (although my shoulder aches looking at how he's wound that arm back--in preparing to throw it, I assume). I'm not quite sure why there is a wooden catapult in a body of water though...but presumably it makes sense in context. lol
    I'm not sure why there's even a catapult in that panel. Who uses a catapult nowadays? Perhaps, a time travel story?

Heh ... I get the feeling Namor would do the cat thing if that rock fell on him. You know, wobble a little and then act like he _meant_ for that to happen -- to show off his 'majestic mighty' hard head.

365 Days with Namor, Day 49

"Diane Arliss!"

As soon as a pretty woman shows up, Namor tosses his play toy ... at the nattering media.