Page 163 of 212 FirstFirst ... 63113153159160161162163164165166167173 ... LastLast
Results 2,431 to 2,445 of 3174
    Marvel's 1st Superhero Reviresco's Avatar

Friday is the FABULOUS '50s & FANTASTIC TEAMS
    Day 50

Young Men #24
    by Bill Everett
    Cover Date: December 1953

Since we've run out 1950s and Invaders covers, I'm going to post the first / splash page of the comic. This is the first appearance of Namor in the 1950s. I didn't post the cover for Young 24 previously, because Namor only had a tiny corner of it, as did Cap. As usual in those days, Torch was the coverboy of choice.
    Namor the Sub-Mariner, Marvel's oldest character, will have been published for 85 years in 2024. So where's my GOOD Namor anniversary ongoing, Marvel?

365 Days with Namor, Day 50

"Feel silly in this rig, but –"

I can’t imagine WHY you’d feel silly wearing a Dracula collar, cut off opera gloves, knee-highs, and a giant FIN on your head, your Highness – clearly the best costume evah!

Yes, it's the return of The Fiiiiiin! Only the first panel being new, but this is one of my all time favorite panels, and I'm celebrating making it to 50 days!
    Namor the Sub-Mariner, Marvel's oldest character, will have been published for 85 years in 2024. So where's my GOOD Namor anniversary ongoing, Marvel?

Saturday is the SWINGING SIXTIES
    Day 51

Sub-Mariner #18
    art by Marie Severin
    Cover Date: October 1969

Quote Originally Posted by Dermie View Post
    Ah. That makes sense. But it does still seem a shame--those character designs look worthy of a bigger story.

Interesting.
    I looked him up, and I think that this might indeed be a tryout story. Weiss started the year before or so, but at DC, and doing shorts and inks. He did an issue with Barry Windsor Smith for Daredevil, that coincidentally, Bill Everett inked, a few months before the Namor story -- which is his first solo credit at Marvel, I think. He was also part of the Crusty Bunkers.

I haven't forgotten about posting the pages ... maybe I'll get them up tonite.

Yeah, the Atlanteans are often not the most likable of people. Granted, they do have legitimate complaints about how the human race has polluted the planet, but their attitudes and customs in general are often...unpleasant.
    Like a lot of stuff in Namor's long history ... it's changed back and forth over the years. At times they are portrayed as more utopian and morally better. At other times they are portrayed as xenophobic and warmongers -- I guess in part to make Namor look better. ;p

LOL. Yeah, someone trying to replacement ME with an imposter would have to learn my weird sense of humour if they wanted to have a hope in heck of getting away with it.
    Indeed! Your comments are ... uniquely yours.

Ahhhh. Gotta go! Will finish up later.
    Last edited by Reviresco; 02-23-2016 at 07:07 PM.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Reviresco View Post
    LOL! Words NO ONE wants to ever hear ... Hulk STRIP! It would explain why Strange now has permanent Bachalo googly eye. He could never quite get his eyelids back to their normal shape, after his eyes bulged out upon hearing those words.
    LOL. Well, I was thinking that Hulk was intending to strip Stephen--rip the gaudy costume and ridiculous headdress right off of him. Of course, that would still likely provoke that same bug-eyed response! lol

Namor, of course, is the soul of logic ... and tact.
    The soul of logic? With that hair and those ears? Are you suggesting that Namor is actually part Vulcan?!

The world is not ready for the Atlantean Kamuu Toe.
    I don't think anyone is, really.

Sadly, no. Editorial needs to get with the program!
    True enough.

And excellent point ... as we've seen in the Bryne book, where he repeated had to tear off his business suit.
    Or, on a few occasions, casually stripped it off. I remember one scene (LONG after Byrne was off the book) where Namor stripped his clothes off (I think it was in the middle of the Oracle board room), handed them to Phoebe and then flew out the window. lol

I'm not sure why there's even a catapult in that panel. Who uses a catapult nowadays? Perhaps, a time travel story?
    I suspect so, given the wooden construction. We could see a modern variation on a catapult (although you're right that modern technology makes such a weapon outdated at best), but that particular design looks medival.

Heh ... I get the feeling Namor would do the cat thing if that rock fell on him. You know, wobble a little and then act like he _meant_ for that to happen -- to show off his 'majestic mighty' hard head.
    lol. Perhaps...but that IS a mighty big rock, and even the hardness of Namor's head has its limits.

Ouch! Tony (or Rhodey) is likely going to have a sore neck after that hit!

Its odd--Iron Man's posture in that panel doesn't look like he was on an attack approach. I just have this odd mental image of Iron Man flying by, minding his own business--and Namor just popping out and punching him in the face, just because. lol

LOL. Well, I was thinking that Hulk was intending to strip Stephen--rip the gaudy costume and ridiculous headdress right off of him. Of course, that would still likely provoke that same bug-eyed response! lol
    LOL! I agree, either option would ... eye popping scary.

The soul of logic? With that hair and those ears? Are you suggesting that Namor is actually part Vulcan?!
    Ha! He'd have to be a throwback, pre-Surak, or a Romulan. I often wonder if Roddenberry was familiar with Namor.

I don't think anyone is, really.
    Now, I feel there should be a new Atlantean character named Ka-Mu-To. He could be the royal tailor!

Or, on a few occasions, casually stripped it off. I remember one scene (LONG after Byrne was off the book) where Namor stripped his clothes off (I think it was in the middle of the Oracle board room), handed them to Phoebe and then flew out the window. lol
    That works too! I really need to re-read that run. Especially the later stuff, with Geof Isherwood's Namor, I think I've only read once.

lol. Perhaps...but that IS a mighty big rock, and even the hardness of Namor's head has its limits.
    The limit is his memory! He'll have amnesia, AGAIN!

Ouch! Tony (or Rhodey) is likely going to have a sore neck after that hit!

Its odd--Iron Man's posture in that panel doesn't look like he was on an attack approach. I just have this odd mental image of Iron Man flying by, minding his own business--and Namor just popping out and punching him in the face, just because. lol
    LOL! That's hilarious, because it SO could happen.

I wonder who the 'them' is he's talking about?

365 Days with Namor, Day 51

Just pheromones.

Riiiiiiiight!

Sunday is the SAVAGE SEVENTIES
    Day 52

Sub-Mariner #62
    by Johnny Romita
    Cover Date: June 1973

Monday is the MARVELOUS '80s

In 1985 Namor was asked what he thought the chances are that his counterpart Aquaman would appear on the big screen before he would. This was his response.

"Once more the Sith will rule the galaxy... and we shall have peace."

Quote Originally Posted by Johnny Peril View Post
    Monday is the MARVELOUS '80s

In 1985 Namor was asked what he thought the chances are that his counterpart Aquaman would appear on the big screen before he would. This was his response.

LOL! Hilarious ... but sad at the same time.

Excellent pic and post, Johnny Peril! Good to see your panels here!

365 Days with Namor, Day 52

"You witless fool!"

Namor, winning friends one dunking at a time!

Monday is the MARVELOUS 80s
    Day 53

Thor #390
    by Ron Frenz
    Cover Date: April 1988

365 Days with Namor, Day 53

Happy Birthday, Namor!

You know Sue had to drag Reed to this surprise party.

Astonishing Member

LOL! I agree, either option would ... eye popping scary.
    Absolutely!

Ha! He'd have to be a throwback, pre-Surak, or a Romulan. I often wonder if Roddenberry was familiar with Namor.
    Even if he wasn't familiar with Namor at the time he created Spock, surely he must have learned about him at some point. There is no way someone wouldn't have pointed out the visual similarity at some point over the years. lol

Now, I feel there should be a new Atlantean character named Ka-Mu-To. He could be the royal tailor!
    lol. Given the fashion sported by some of the Atlanteans over the years, they could probably benefit from the new tailor...

That works too! I really need to re-read that run. Especially the later stuff, with Geof Isherwood's Namor, I think I've only read once.
    Oddly, my collection of that run is mainly from the 'outer edges'--I have the early Byrne stuff, and I have stuff from towards the end of the series. Its mostly the middle that is a blank to me.

The limit is his memory! He'll have amnesia, AGAIN!
    Namor gets amnesia so often, he should start sewing his name into the waistband of his speedos...

LOL! That's hilarious, because it SO could happen.
    Yeah, I could easily see it happening if Namor was in one of his famous foul moods, and Iron Man happened to be flying by. lol

I wonder who the 'them' is he's talking about?
    Good question.

Congrats to Union Jack for getting a cover appearance--as I recall Brian didn't manage to get too many of them during his stint with the team.

That obnoxiously placed UPC is partially obscuring our view of the royal rump...but Cap seems to be trying to do his part to make up for it by flexing his own buttocks in that charge at the Teutonic Knight.

But what is up with that cover blurb? The "almost-origin"?? What on Earth is an "almost-origin"?!

365 Days with Namor, Day 53

Happy Birthday, Namor!

You know Sue had to drag Reed to this surprise party.
    Not just drag him, but also evidently slipped some Five Hour Energy into his Uber-Coffee* in the process.

And not only is Sue apparently invisible, but I also see that She-Hulk developed a secondary elasticity mutation...

* - One of many official products from Richards Industries(TM)!

Yes, really...Reed invented 'Uber-Coffee' during Adam Warren's gawdawful Fantastic Four fill-in stint, FF #57-59, Volume Three.
    "Yes, I can do that!" - Ivan Lawrence Blieden

"The true is inimitable, the false untransformable." - Robert Bresson

"The boundaries which divide life from death are at best shadowy and vague. Who shall say where the one ends, and where the other begins?" - Edgar Allan Poe

"Those who believe need no explanation." - Dionysos, The Bacchae by Euripides

Marvel Future Fight: InimitableMaven, Alliance: Fates Law / Yahtzee With Buddies: TheInimitableMaven