Page 206 of 212 FirstFirst ... 106156196202203204205206207208209210 ... LastLast
Results 3,076 to 3,090 of 3174
    Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Thor-El View Post
    I think the shackles are meant more like a psychological thing but it does seem sexual so I understand what you say. If it was sexual in harems the mother is usually in charge of the son's lovers so that would justify Fen being there, her pose with the cup on hand and over the head of the bed seems to be of supervision more than participation. Namorita is odd too unless she is there to assist Fen with supervision, she is also out of the bed and with a cup in hand. If the chains are psychological then it makes sense as Namor has strong ties to all these women.
    Its entirely possible the shackles were meant to be a visual metaphor for psychological and emotional bonds--although that strikes me as a tad subtle and sophisticated for a 90s superhero comic cover. Regardless of the intent though, the other elements of the image give it a sexual subtext whether they meant it to have one or not. lol.

Quote Originally Posted by Reviresco View Post
    It's the shackles, right?

I agree. I've always thought what were they thinking? Yes, it's the 90s, but Namorita and Fen don't belong on that sort of cover -- and not Andromeda either. I get that they meant more than romantic love, but then they shouldn't have gone with the "chained to the bed" theme. LOL!
    Exactly. Even if it wasn't their intent, the image implies sexual/romantic love--so it confuses and undermines the message they are trying to send.

Yes! I forgot, they should have included Tamara. Of course, where's Betty? And Diane, even. If they were going this route, they should have gone with a king sized bed. ;p
    Tamara would certainly have been appropriate since she was a recurring supporting player in the book around this time anyway (as Tiger Shark's lover). They could also have used Carrie Alexander, who was at least a love interest (and also appearing in the book at the time). Or even Phoebe Marrs, for that matter...

Marvel's 1st Superhero Reviresco's Avatar

I think the shackles are meant more like a psychological thing but it does seem sexual so I understand what you say. If it was sexual in harems the mother is usually in charge of the son's lovers so that would justify Fen being there, her pose with the cup on hand and over the head of the bed seems to be of supervision more than participation. Namorita is odd too unless she is there to assist Fen with supervision, she is also out of the bed and with a cup in hand. If the chains are psychological then it makes sense as Namor has strong ties to all these women.
    I agree, the shackles are a psychological thing. The whole thing is something of metaphor.

Interesting. I didn't grasp that about Fen in the image ... but remembering the Golden Age comics, where she was pushing Namor to pick a bride -- remember the Lynne Harris story line?

Hah, hah! That is the home alone pose!
    Yep! I think this is one I'm going to edit the word balloons. Now I've just got to come up with something good to put in the balloons. LOL!
    Namor the Sub-Mariner, Marvel's oldest character, will have been published for 85 years in 2024. So where's my GOOD Namor anniversary ongoing, Marvel?

Quote Originally Posted by Dermie View Post
    Its entirely possible the shackles were meant to be a visual metaphor for psychological and emotional bonds--although that strikes me as a tad subtle and sophisticated for a 90s superhero comic cover. Regardless of the intent though, the other elements of the image give it a sexual subtext whether they meant it to have one or not. lol.
    It is subtle ... and it's hard to argue the cover wasn't salacious -- I mean Sue is in her 90s boob window costume. But I think it can be both. I mean, actually all three, with the sexual subtext. What a great cover!

You know, Isherwood goes to cons. I think if I see him at one, I might have to ask him.

Quote Originally Posted by Dermie View Post
    Exactly. Even if it wasn't their intent, the image implies sexual/romantic love--so it confuses and undermines the message they are trying to send.

Tamara would certainly have been appropriate since she was a recurring supporting player in the book around this time anyway (as Tiger Shark's lover). They could also have used Carrie Alexander, who was at least a love interest (and also appearing in the book at the time). Or even Phoebe Marrs, for that matter...
    Agreed, on the messaging.

Wow. I'd forgotten Carrie Alexander. Man that bed is getting crowded! LOL!
    Namor the Sub-Mariner, Marvel's oldest character, will have been published for 85 years in 2024. So where's my GOOD Namor anniversary ongoing, Marvel?

Mighty Member

I agree, the shackles are a psychological thing. The whole thing is something of metaphor.

Interesting. I didn't grasp that about Fen in the image ... but remembering the Golden Age comics, where she was pushing Namor to pick a bride -- remember the Lynne Harris story line?
    Of course, those golden age stories by Everett are too awesome to forget!!! I really want to go back and continue with that readathon in the near future!

Saturday is the SWINGING SIXTIES
    Day 19

Tales to Astonish #79
    Art by Gene Colan
    Cover Date: May 1966

365 Days with Namor, Day 19

“That wasn’t funny Grimm!”

Time for serious business? Time for Namor to rip his shirt off!

Of course, those golden age stories by Everett are too awesome to forget!!! I really want to go back and continue with that readathon in the near future!
    Me too! Though once Everett leaves, and the dedicated war stories start, it gets into some serious racist caricatures.

Sunday is the SAVAGE SEVENTIES
    Day 20

Fantastic Four #149
    Art by Rich Buckler
    Cover Date: August 1974

365 Days with Namor, Day 20

“I heard we had visitors. And visitors are the absolute most, baby. Welcome to New Atlantis and the Age of Aquarius!”

I have no words.

Monday is the MARVELOUS 80s
    Day 21

Avengers #308
    by Paul Ryan & Tom Palmer
    Cover Date: October 1989
    Last edited by Reviresco; 01-21-2019 at 10:58 PM.

365 Days with Namor, Day 21

“Bah! Prince Namor needs no help from any man!”

Unless that man is helping Namor out of that FUR cloak His Highness really shouldn’t be wearing underwater.

Tuesday is THE TANTALIZING 21st CENTURY
    Day 22

Secret Invasion: Dark Reign #1
    by Alex Maleev
    Cover Date: February 2009

365 Days with Namor, Day 22

“Shark??!

No shark, mate – but the very devil himself!!”

Wherein sailors would rather face sharks than scary Devil Namor!
    Last edited by Reviresco; 01-23-2019 at 10:22 PM.

Sunday is the SAVAGE SEVENTIES
    Day 20

Fantastic Four #149
    Art by Rich Buckler
    Cover Date: August 1974
    Ah, yes, one of my favorite covers of all time for many reasons!

Subby in his regal outfit!
    Marine monstrosities!
    Thing fighting mad!
    Sue utilizing a powerful and new Force Field that seems to blind the occupants!
    Superb artwork and coloring!

And let us not forget the "Now, more than ever--"....!!

Wednesday is THE WILD '90s
    Day 23

Doctor Strange Sorcerer Supreme #65
    by Mark Buckingham
    Cover Date: May 1994