Page 5 of 212 FirstFirst 1234567891555105 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Reviresco View Post
    Well, there's been a bit of discussion on that in various sexualization threads. Some of it is that and some of it is simply preference. When asked about it, Tom Brevroot said the character couldn't be taken seriously in the speedo, which is just BS, IMO. Namor was taken at his most serious as a character by Marvel in the 40s - 70sl, when he wore the speedo, as opposed to now, when he's in the black suit. He also sold much better and was far more popular.

OTOH, there's a good reason for the black suit in All New Invaders. James Robinson and Steve Pugh haven't said as much, but it seems clear to me, that they are using the new black suit to differentiate between Namor's adventures with the Invaders in the present, from his speedo wearing days in the past, that they flashback to fairly often.

I tend to agree with what you said, it makes him unique amongst the superhero set, and it fits the character. But even amongst Namor fans, there's folks that like the full body black costume and those that don't. I prefer the green swimming trunks, myself, obviously.
    Thanks for the Response!

Seems like Mr. Brevoort has not watched much of pro wrestling, has he? Especially the Rock! Showing muscular bodies is very manly and not ridiculous.

I think some might say it's a small detail if I don't see Namor with his familiar green trunks and little wings in the movies, it won't be Namor to me. He just looks more unique and a true being of power when he has that look.

Marvel's 1st Superhero Reviresco's Avatar

365 Days with Namor, Day 19

by AtlanteanPrince
    Last edited by Reviresco; 01-04-2020 at 11:26 PM.
    Namor the Sub-Mariner, Marvel's oldest character, will have been published for 85 years in 2024. So where's my GOOD Namor anniversary ongoing, Marvel?

Quote Originally Posted by Da Boat View Post
    Thanks for the Response!

Seems like Mr. Brevoort has not watched much of pro wrestling, has he? Especially the Rock! Showing muscular bodies is very manly and not ridiculous.

I think some might say it's a small detail if I don't see Namor with his familiar green trunks and little wings in the movies, it won't be Namor to me. He just looks more unique and a true being of power when he has that look.
    Excellent point! There's nothing but swimming trunks in wrestling!

I agree, sort of like the Picts or Celts who announced their courage and bada$$ery by fighting in next to nothing.
    Namor the Sub-Mariner, Marvel's oldest character, will have been published for 85 years in 2024. So where's my GOOD Namor anniversary ongoing, Marvel?

Tuesday is THE TANTALIZING 21st CENTURY
    Day 20

Fantastic Four: World's Greatest Comic Magazine #2
    by Michael Golden
    Cover Date: March 2001

I haven't read this magazine either, but I think it's a homage to the style of Lee and Kirby, not a re-telling of the FF stories.
    Last edited by Reviresco; 01-21-2020 at 10:20 PM.

365 Days with Namor, Day 20

by AtlanteanPrince

Why Namor doesn’t do social media.

Last edited by Reviresco; 01-04-2020 at 11:27 PM.

Wednesday is THE WILD '90s
    Day 21

Namor the Sub-Mariner #2
    by John Byrne
    Cover Date: May 1990

Finally we get a cover that fits Wednesday's description better. Though, TBH, didn't find much of John Bryne's run to be that 'wild.' His was the most sedate Namor ever -- except maybe Bill Everett's Atlas run.
    Last edited by Reviresco; 01-21-2020 at 10:39 PM.

Latverian ambassador Iron Maiden's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Reviresco View Post
    Tuesday is THE TANTALIZING 21st CENTURY
    Day 20

Fantastic Four: World's Greatest Comic Magazine #2
    by Michael Golden
    Cover Date: March 2001

I haven't read this magazine either, but I think it's a homage to the style of Lee and Kirby, not a re-telling of the FF stories.
    That was a fun series that Savage Dragon's Eric Larsen put together as a tribute for the Fantastic Four's 40th anniverary. BTW I thought the tributes for their 50th were pretty paltry. The one FF special they put out barely had them in it. I wanted my money back!

There were multiple writers and artists and it was a bit jarring since one artist/inker pairing would do 3 or 4 pages, then another. I think they finally released a TPB last year. But since it wasn't a big seller you might have luck finding them in the back issues bin of your LCS. I can't remember what role Namor played in it but it was basically a plot by Doom to steal things to become uber powerful (again!) and IIRC he needed the trumpet that summoned Giganto. Isn't it called Trident's horn?

365 Days with Namor, Day 21

"It’s so salty"
    Captain Salty’s Salted Salt Cakes! They’re Brine-y Good!.

by exisitenializzy

Suffering Shad! Did those suspicious looking guys just give Namor a roofie???
    From the Golden Age, when they packed more fun in a single panel than an entire modern mini-series.
    Last edited by Reviresco; 01-04-2020 at 11:28 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Iron Maiden View Post
    That was a fun series that Savage Dragon's Eric Larsen put together as a tribute for the Fantastic Four's 40th anniversary. BTW I thought the tributes for their 50th were pretty paltry. The one FF special they put out barely had them in it. I wanted my money back!

There were multiple writers and artists and it was a bit jarring since one artist/inker pairing would do 3 or 4 pages, then another. I think they finally released a TPB last year. But since it wasn't a big seller you might have luck finding them in the back issues bin of your LCS. I can't remember what role Namor played in it but it was basically a plot by Doom to steal things to become uber powerful (again!) and IIRC he needed the trumpet that summoned Giganto. Isn't it called Trident's horn?
    Close. It's the Horn of Proteus. That sort of sounds like the plot the Super Spidey Special.

Thank you for the clarification on this series. I definitely need to pick it up, though I really don't like it when they switch out artists and inkers like that.

The FF had a 50th Anniversary Special? All I remember were the cool Rivera variants.

salt is atlantean sleep aid?
    What we used to call life has very little worth these days. Welcome to the very edge.
    --Prince Namor (Earth-616)

Quote Originally Posted by dzub View Post
    salt is atlantean sleep aid?
    LOL! Boy, are they in trouble.

I think the sedative was salty. Or maybe they made the food so salty to cover up the taste of the sedative.

I find humor in the salty comment as well! HA!
    "All it takes for sexism to prosper is for good men to see nothing."

Thursday is THE TERRIFIC '30s & '40s
    Day 22

Marvel Mystery Comics #14
    by Alex Schomberg
    Cover Date: December 1940

Could the Sub-Mariner hold off the Nazis? Well, that BIG GUN says "YES!"
    Last edited by Reviresco; 02-16-2020 at 01:19 AM.

365 Days with Namor, Day 22

Railing Namor is railing.

by exisitenializzy

Back in the good old days, when Atlantis was a gentle city .... with Warlords. ;p
    Last edited by Reviresco; 01-04-2020 at 11:28 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Cold Water View Post
    I find humor in the salty comment as well! HA!
    Needless to say, I'm going to save this panel for future use. Actually, I could probably save myself a lot of grief and time if I would make a folder of Namor panels to respond to haters. ;p