View Poll Results: Which book(s) will sell the most/survive the longest?

Voters
56. You may not vote on this poll
  • Spider-Man 2099

25 44.64%
  • Spider-Woman

6 10.71%
  • Silk

3 5.36%
  • Spider-Gwen

30 53.57%
Multiple Choice Poll.
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Hmm, I consider this a tough one between 2099 and Spider-Gwen.

Silk I don't see lasting beyond the first arc. I know Dan Slott says the character has demand and popularity but I just don't see it online. Now maybe offline and in pulls the demand is there, but until that shows up I doubt Silk will last beyond what it takes to collect a trade or two.

Spider-Woman's failed to stick before as well, and while they made a highly publicized re-design of her costume to try to appeal to the Tumblr crowd, I don't think that and Dennis Hopeless being the writer will be enough to keep it going either. I think it will make it to issue 12 but I doubt it'll keep going beyond that, especially if Secret Wars turns out to be a factor.

2099 has one of the best creative teams attached to a Spidey book ever and 2099 has enjoyed a bit of a resurgence in the mainstream eye lately. I think this one definitely has a good chance to get beyond issue 12. I definitely expect this comic to sell well for a decent period of time, at least until the creative team is changed. It's a well-worn concept (a man out of time and place), but David knows how to turn these venerable concepts on their head so I expect nothing short of a sustained quality comic. The staff is just a veteran, establishment crew with a good track record, and it helps that 2099 has been off to a good start so far.

If 2099 is the Boston Red Sox or St. Louis Cardinals of current Spidey comics, then Spider-Gwen is the Chicago Cubs. A wild card that has a fresh new lease on life after years, decades even, of being lost in the wilderness, but is relying on unknown variables. Gwen Stacy was the ultimate victim, deader than a doornail, now she is the hero and Peter is Gwen's cross to bear instead. The frankly amazing costume has a lot to do with her initial appeal, but Edge of Spider-Verse #2 is a legitimately great comic in its own right, and we are also exploring a new universe that if pulled off right can be like the early days of the Ultimate Universe, a comic of new discoveries and amazing twists. I think that if Spider-Gwen sells well from the outset and the quality of the comic is sustained then it could outlast 2099.

Regardless, I think both 2099 and Spider-Gwen will last beyond 12 issues. Who winds up lasting longer depends on what happens in the books themselves. Which is as it should be.
    Last edited by macattack; 01-02-2015 at 01:51 PM.

BANNED

I really hope that all these books will be financially successfull.
    2099 is an excellent book but the sales seem to decreasing.
    Scarlet Spider and Venom were gems but both of them were cancelled.
    If the books are good, we must support them. I will try both Spider-Gwen and Silk. If they are good, i will keep buying them.
    Spider-Woman....not so much. I bought the first issue and i didn't liked it.

Astonishing Member

If Jessica Drew is integrated into Spiderman's world, there series should pass 12 issues. Bendis series ended because he wanted to end when the artist of that series left. But if they could make Spider-Woman into her own version of Alias, it should be very well.

I'm going to trust Dan Slott's post and vote Silk. I think while it might not generate as much online hype, I think in the physical world it's going to have good sales from a bunch of people who liked her in Amazing. Meanwhile, Spider-Gwen has the online hype, but does that translate into lasting sales? Online hype things have been cancelled before. Also, being in an alternate universe seems risky to me, especially since we already having Miles filling that niche.
    Favourite DC Characters: Supergirl, Pandora, Red Lantern Bleez, Larfleeze
    BRING BACK PANDORA!

http://i.imgur.com/fq7hazv.png

Hyped for Pokémon Sun and Moon! Nickname your Sun Legend after me!

"There are two main times when comic book fans gripe: When something changes and when something stays the same."
    Cyborg is a Leaguer forever, not a Titan

BANNED

I voted Spider-Gwen because I think more people love her now due to a great role in ASM2.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by neonrideraryeh View Post
    I'm going to trust Dan Slott's post and vote Silk. I think while it might not generate as much online hype, I think in the physical world it's going to have good sales from a bunch of people who liked her in Amazing. Meanwhile, Spider-Gwen has the online hype, but does that translate into lasting sales? Online hype things have been cancelled before. Also, being in an alternate universe seems risky to me, especially since we already having Miles filling that niche.
    Wasn't Alpha a fan demanded spinoff characters as well. I am surprised that no one is talking about the idea of a Julia Carpenter spinoff series, along with the Black Cat(Pre-omd)?

Fantastic Member

2099 ... because it will last more than a year.

Spider-Gwen may do okay too. People seem to like the idea.

If Bendis couldn't keep Spider-Woman around then Hopeless certainly can't.

As for Silk, I'm not sure anyone was demanding she get a book (despite Slott's claims otherwise).

Quote Originally Posted by Beacon View Post
    2099 ... because it will last more than a year.

Spider-Gwen may do okay too. People seem to like the idea.

If Bendis couldn't keep Spider-Woman around then Hopeless certainly can't.

As for Silk, I'm not sure anyone was demanding she get a book (despite Slott's claims otherwise).
    There were a few factors working against Bendis's Spider-Woman not lasting that we need to consider first:

They released her motion comic for sale months before the actual print issues came out. The motion comics told the same exact story, much earlier, in a relatively new format. So when the books the came out anyone interested in the story had probably already watched the MC which definitely had an impact on sales.

The actual launch of the book came way too late. Marvel waited too long after Secret Invasion for a launch of a book thats hook is that its Secret Invasion: Aftermath. Although, as i understand it, the plan initially was to launch a Spider-Woman book during House of M with the end of the last issue being to reveal that she was a Skrull but that was decided against as it would seem to be a cheat to the fans. I think by launching this new volume of Spider-Woman in the middle of Spider-Verse was a way not to repeat the errors of the last launch too.

BANNED

Spider-Man 2099 is looking to be at least involved in that "Future Imperfect" storyline for Secret Wars, so I could see the series getting a boost from the tie-in. However, I think the book kind of has an unfair advantage against the others, given how it got an early start. If we're talking about which books are least likely to end first, there's that.

Hopefully Spider-Woman's sales don't drop after Spider-Verse. At the very least, the attention Marvel is giving to her new costume could hopefully draw some attention away from that Manara character.

Silk… yeah, I'm not going to believe Slott's post that there was actually interest, given how he'll act like doing the bare minimum that is required of a job is worthy of universal praise. Just sounds like he's pointing to correlations, and expecting us to accept those as the causes. That said, I'll wait and see how the first issue does. It's the one I'm most uncertain about in terms of success, sure, but that doesn't mean it's looking to be something I expect the survive the longest or die the fastest.

Spider-Gwen, however, actually is something I believe has genuine interest, so that bodes well for that book.

Quote Originally Posted by marvelprince View Post
    There were a few factors working against Bendis's Spider-Woman not lasting that we need to consider first:

They released her motion comic for sale months before the actual print issues came out. The motion comics told the same exact story, much earlier, in a relatively new format. So when the books the came out anyone interested in the story had probably already watched the MC which definitely had an impact on sales.

The actual launch of the book came way too late. Marvel waited too long after Secret Invasion for a launch of a book thats hook is that its Secret Invasion: Aftermath. Although, as i understand it, the plan initially was to launch a Spider-Woman book during House of M with the end of the last issue being to reveal that she was a Skrull but that was decided against as it would seem to be a cheat to the fans. I think by launching this new volume of Spider-Woman in the middle of Spider-Verse was a way not to repeat the errors of the last launch too.
    The numbers weren't horrible. It just wasn't what Marvel wanted on a book by Bendis. The motion comic also burned out Maleev, since it required a lot of work.
    Sincerely,
    Thomas Mets

Fantastic Member

Quote Originally Posted by marvelprince View Post

None of that changes that the new Spider-Woman is by a writer who alienated a lot of people with Arena and an artist who has become a punchline.

BANNED

spider woman had a strong start, so I hope it stays out of cancelation zone. hopeless doesn't have a good track with sales

Silk maybe it can be a sleeper hit, IDK why they gave her a book so soon.

spider gwen was the hit from spider verse, it have chances to have a long stay

Mighty Member

Quote Originally Posted by Beacon View Post
    None of that changes that the new Spider-Woman is by a writer who alienated a lot of people with Arena and an artist who has become a punchline.
    What the hell is wrong with Javier Rodriguez?

Out of all of these, Silk strikes me as the least likely to make it past the 12-15 issues that most Marvel solo's go up to these days. Her character has an interesting premise, and an alright costume, but after Slott's handling of her introduction the reaction I've seen of her online, most of the fan-demand and interest that Marvel says she has seems... disingenuous to a certain extent. There's also the fact that it's another female-lead Spider-book, but I'm not sure how much that will translate to sales .

Spider-Gwen has all that hype behind it, and the positive reception to her Edge of Spider-Verse issue going for it, so I imagine that will benefit it well when it comes to popularity and likely initial sales. Whether the sales continue to do well will probably be dependent on Latour and Rodriguez, people's lasting interest in the concept/series, and whether it being an AU works to its benefit or detriment. It would be nice to see it do well, not to mention be a great series in its own right as I'm hoping it will be .

Not sure about Spider-Woman. Their going with a whole different direction for Jessica but I don't know if that will result in more interest in the book, or on the level of the new Batgirl direction. Granted, I'm not reading the book so far and I'm not the biggest fan of the new costume, but I would still want Jess' book to do relatively well at least .

2099 is the one I'm pulling for most though, especially after the end of X-Factor, because so far it's been one of the most well-rounded and enjoyable of the Spider books and I'd love to see what PAD could come up with using more issues and post-Secret War. I would hope the book quality would translate to great sales, though obviously this isn't always the case.

Fantastic Member

Quote Originally Posted by Dog View Post
    What the hell is wrong with Javier Rodriguez?
    I was talking about Greg Land. Maybe he's on Silk. I may have my interchangeable Spider-Women comics mixed up. Mayday and (the idea of but not so much the execution of) Julia are the only Spider-Females I ever cared about. Spider-Gwen is a neat idea but its only a matter of time before she goes the way of MJ from Exiles.
    Last edited by Beacon; 01-04-2015 at 08:49 PM.