View Poll Results: Which book(s) will sell the most/survive the longest?

Voters
56. You may not vote on this poll
  • Spider-Man 2099

25 44.64%
  • Spider-Woman

6 10.71%
  • Silk

3 5.36%
  • Spider-Gwen

30 53.57%
Multiple Choice Poll.
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Default Which non-ASM Spider-book will be the most successful?

We have a few new books coming up, while Spider-Man 2099 and Spider-Woman have already entered the market.

If we look to, say, 2 years from now, how well will these titles have sold?

The pros of each book (IMO):

Spider-Man 2099

• established character, written by its original writer
    • launched straight into an event with good reviews

Silk

• new, mysterious, cool looking character connected to the greater Spider-mythos
    • Silk will have to adapt into society after 10 years in isolation, which is an interesting theme

Spider-Woman

• classic character who finally receives her solo book
    • new approach to Spider-Woman as a street-level hero instead of an Avengers main team member

Spider-Gwen

• this new character became an instant hit with fans
    • being separate from Earth 616 makes this book a wild card. There is similar universe-building potential here as there was in Spider-Girl or Ultimate Spidey.

I think that ultimately, Spider-Man 2099 and Spider-Gwen will sell the most, and maybe they should even look into the potential of a new alternate universe line with the latter.

What say you?

Incredible Member Highland Chicken's Avatar

2099, he has the best writer and spider-man written on the cover.

Extraordinary Member John Ossie's Avatar

Merely going by the hype for it I voted Spider-Gwen. Otherwise I genuinely don't know.

It's clearly going to be Spider-Gwen, at least initially. There is an almost irrational amount of anticipation for this title, partly for the idea of a version of Gwen coming back and partly for the incredible costume design. But---once things settle in, I am not sure how long those things will sustain it. My gut says Spidey 2099 will win the long race based on the writing chops of PAD and the better defined setup.

2099. Please?

Astonishing Member Shinglepants's Avatar

Spider-Gwen is a bit of a wildcard but it has so much hype and positivity surrounding it. I expect, and hope, it to be a huge success.

I expect 2099 and Spider-Woman to be very good but only find modest success.

I hope Silk does OK. Marvel are obviously giving her a big push the the readers don't seem to be biting.

Mild-Mannered Reporter BlitheringToot's Avatar

Spider-Gwen is going to be the best seller, and that's fine with me--it's a fun idea, and Gwen is getting a lot of love due to Emma Stone's solid performance in an otherwise bad movie.

Spider-Man 2099 is my favorite, though. Peter David is doing some great work, and I'd hate to see it cut short like "All-New X-Factor."
    "What would you prefer? Yellow spandex?" – Scott Summers, 2000

Mighty Member

You guys really think Spider-Gwen is going to outlast 2099? Would anyone like to make a wager on that?

Just a little thing

Spider-Man 2099 - 6 votes
    Spider-Woman - 1 vote
    Spider-Gwen - 6 votes

LOL

Quote Originally Posted by Dog View Post
    You guys really think Spider-Gwen is going to outlast 2099? Would anyone like to make a wager on that?
    In my case Dog it's merely a guess. We'll soon see

Mighty Member

Quote Originally Posted by John Ossie View Post
    In my case Dog it's merely a guess. We'll soon see
    Well, assuming they both last at least another year, it won't be that soon.

Here are the strikes against Spider-Gwen:
    Largely untested (and sometimes polarizing) creative team.
    Not set in 616 universe. Readers have been conditioned that such books "don't matter" and they tend to therefore discount them.
    Female lead. Not saying this is right or just, but merely that's the way it is (still, at least for now).

All it really has going for it is a lot of buzz from a single issue. That won't last if the book doesn't deliver, and in a big way. Smart money's on Peter David and 2099, for pretty much the opposite of all the reasons listed above.

Spider-Gwen seems like the wildcard. There's a lot of hype surrounding it, but it might have the same fate like other "fan-demanded" titles like Storm or Captain Marvel, starting strong but slowly -or abruptly like Storm- decline in sales and going to cancellation line in less than 7-10 issues. Who knows, maybe issue 1 or 2 will have something that will turn-off readers like the recent Batgirl controversy. It looks like Marvel is giving the chance to writers to at least finish their stories, I think it will reach at least 12 issues.

If by successful you mean "more issues", I think 2099 will end up as the winner. I also think Spider-Woman will reach 12 issues at worst. Silk... according to Slott there's a fan demand, but I just don't see it. On tumblr, where they get excited by minority characters, the people that I saw getting excited because she's asian disliked her after reading TASM issues where she appears. I wish it luck.
    Last edited by Spider-Chan; 01-02-2015 at 08:54 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Dog View Post
    Well, assuming they both last at least another year, it won't be that soon.

Here are the strikes against Spider-Gwen:
    Largely untested (and sometimes polarizing) creative team.
    Not set in 616 universe. Readers have been conditioned that such books "don't matter" and they tend to therefore discount them.
    Female lead. Not saying this is right or just, but merely that's the way it is (still, at least for now).

All it really has going for it is a lot of buzz from a single issue. That won't last if the book doesn't deliver, and in a big way. Smart money's on Peter David and 2099, for pretty much the opposite of all the reasons listed above.
    Like I say Dog, wait and see I guess.

Quote Originally Posted by Spider-Chan View Post
    Silk... according to Slott there's a fan demand, but I just don't see it. On tumblr, where they get excited by minority characters, the people that I saw getting excited because she's asian disliked her after reading TASM issues where she appears. I wish it luck.
    While I do feel that Silk has a lot of potential to be an interesting character in her own right, the ''fan demand'' thing I don't completely buy personally as I didn't see that much demand for it either here on CBR or elsewhere but anyhow I hope it's a good series and do want it to do well.

BANNED

The fan-demand could have been offline. Even books that sell well get talked down online like they shouldn't be selling a single copy. Sometimes it's closer to mainstream opinion, Sometimes it isn't. It's all a crapshoot.

In either case, I'll take that wager, Dog. Sometimes you just gotta believe.

Impossible to say with any certainty. Each book has the potential to succeed and each has the potential to fail. Just from past experiences, each book will do well initially and fade as the hype fades. I expect Spider-Gwen to do the best because the hype is greatest. Howver, if the creative team has it's s-tuff together lightning could strike.
    Last edited by eSoldier; 01-02-2015 at 09:53 AM.
    Stay Calm. Carry Guns.