Page 1 of 15 1234511 ... LastLast
    Always Rakzo

Default Superman: Doomed--Week 1 (Spoilers)

Spoilers ahead!

spoilers:
    Superman discovers about Doomsday existence

Doomsday appears to be evolving

Luthor is a hero now and tells Superman to get out of earth

Superman kills Doomsday and gets infected with his virus.
    end of spoilers

Hrmm. My random feelings and thoughts on this.

Doomsday is on the loose in the Bahamas, as some pilots are quickly introduced to...

Living up to "it"s name, the Bahamas is transformed into something closer to Hell... with some awesome incinerated skeletons by the art team for that extra touch of grim ambiance that every Hell dimension would require.

Superman swoops in right in time for the Pilots but only for the pilots...

After a penis measuring contest with the military folk, Supes flies off to do what tortured heroes do... brood, and inner conflicty stuff. Couldn't save everyone, it's all my fault, did the military have the bigger penis... hero stuff.

Shay Veritas makes a brief appearance, does some sciency things being one of the greatest minds on the planet... like confirming that was Doomsday. OH! That giant Godzilla looking thing was Doomsday, and giving Superman the worst pep talk in history.

Apparently the Doomsday Superman fought before was only a wee little baby Doomsday, and now he's all growed up.

Superman, at this very appropriate timing is wondering if killing Doomsday is bad and goes to Mr. White for advice into this matter.

Meanwhile, Lois and Lana are getting in some serious gir.....woman time and investigating Smallville, wondering why Clark isn't there. Al__________though, something fishy is going on, and i'm not talking about all the people laying around on the ground all icky and sick and stuff... Lois is acting realllllly weird, like her eyes aren't normal and she's talking strange.

[We interrupt this broad cast to show you random footage of a camera crew capturing animals killing each other and dying.]

And now back to our regularly scheduled... thingies.

Is that... Steel! It is, Mister Steel.... Steel is chillaxing with an amazing view when all of a sudden -----> Danger!
    It's okay, cuz Steel happened to be visiting there and surely can take care of any sudden danger, surely. "It'll be fine".

Quick! Fast forward through the embarrassment, it's too cringetastic to witness... hurry, fast forward... oh crap, slow motion!!!!

STEEL PWNED! Doomsday 1 / Steel 0 ../.. Doomsday>Steel = HaHa @ Steel.

Sorry, Steel fans... that was embarrassing... but, hey at least he tried, right.

If that wasn't bad enough, adding insult to injury... it's Wonder Woman!!

If the mighty Steel got pwned then Wonder Woman better watch her..... hold on, she's rushing in! Don't you see Steel's pride and ego on the ground over there in wittle bittie pieces!

DAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAMN! Woman!

sorry, Steel fans.... again.

Note to self, don't mess with Wonder Woman... hopefully Steel's also taking notes (sorry, Steel fans) Wonder Woman is bringing the awesome.

No he dint, Superman must've finished his brooding and stuff... and picks now to try and upstage WW but not today, she ain't having any of that nonsense. Even Doomzilla's smart enough to get the F out of there away from Wonder Woman.

Back to the drawing board, cue the cameos.... Batman knows stuff, check... Green Lantern can't do anything, check.... Flash makes a joke, check... Who's that in the back? Who the F is tha... oh, it's Aquaman.... Aquaman says something that noone heard, check... bu____ wait! That's new, it's friggin Detective Vic Mackey... Wait a sec, hold up... oh it's just Luthor.

The combined effort of all of these amazing heroes is about to blow everyone's mind with the greatest plan evurrrrrrrrrr..... wait for it, here it is... it's coming... the plan is...... GTFO Superman. Fly away little pixie, fly away.

BRO MOMENT! BRO!
    Supes hooks up Bats with a key to his bachelor pad, like what bro, seriously bro!? Your key bro? Bro.... awesome bro. BRO TASTIC.

Bro moment DENIED! Diana already has a key. In your face, bro.

A key? Meh. Wonder Woman is getting a freaking Doomsday head. Wonder Woman wins again.

CUT TO THE CHASE! It's okay to make some tea or coffeee now. There's a big fight scene coming up.

La da dee, ooh la la.

Ooo la la, herp derp..

Sorry, Steel fans.... la la doo hum hoo.

is it over yet? Nope.

Smash! Bang kapow... Boom shakoom.

Is it ov.... nooooope.

Boom pow pow scraaaakakow. Wham bam thank you mama.

Is it finally.... wait, it's over? Huh what... when did.... wha happ..... Hold on, I missed....

Sorry, Steel fans.

Hopefully my intent with this playful overview isn't lost in translation, not trying to insult the book... it had it's moments, there was enough contained therein to keep it interesting. Did I think it was spectacular and amazing? Not really. I'm not that into Doomsday and this book didn't change that, don't feel like the Doomsday character works well... like for me, removing Doomsday entirely and just focusing on some type of virus outbreak would've been a lot cooler and interesting than Doomsday but it is what it is. I'm not big into action either, and there was a lot of action here. Felt a bit disconnected also, a scene here... a scene there without much overall connection.

Steel fans got the worst of things, if i was a huge Steel fan... i'd prepare myself going in.

On the positive side of things, i felt like Wonder Woman had an amazing showing here.... I think WW fans would be generally happy outside of a few predictable complaints they will most likely have. Her battle with Doomsday was pretty epic.
    I feel like i want to see Wonder Woman vs Doomsday and not Superman. After seeing her passion in battling "it", and how awesome she was, I wanted more Wonder Woman rather than Supes.

What's going on with Lois, the mystery of it is also pretty interesting and what's going to happen with Superman after his battle with Doomsday and what effects Doomsday's presence will have overall.

And even though it involves Doomsday, i mean there is interesting aspects and potential there beyond the Doomzilla stuff and action sequences.

For me, it was a slightly above average experience. (7/10)

My award for the best moments goes to Wonder Woman's battle with Doomsday, and Superman's goodbyes... giving the key to Batman followed by WW telling him to bring her Doomsday's head.
    Last edited by SXVA; 05-14-2014 at 08:46 AM.

Astonishing Member

Is it just me, or did the editors once again change their mind and decide that the Death of Superman, in fact, occurred in the Nu52?

If your read Action Comics #31 you find out Steel only had his old suit at the facility when he went to fight. An old suit that made him the only human to survive being in contact with Doomsday.

Quote Originally Posted by SSJ4JW View Post
    If your read Action Comics #31 you find out Steel only had his old suit at the facility when he went to fight. An old suit that made him the only human to survive being in contact with Doomsday.
    I was playing it up a lot.
    [it's not as bad as i played it up to be]

It just seemed so unnecessary to me haha. I found it to be embarrassing for the character and a poor showing but that's just my view.
    Last edited by SXVA; 05-14-2014 at 09:09 AM.

I liked this issue. Superman using Doomsday as a battering ram against a few planets of the solar system was quite nice, Lex Luthor saying he should leave Earth and the scenes with other heroes were all good too. The scenes with Lana and Lois were above average though.
    Last edited by SofNascimento; 05-14-2014 at 09:23 AM.
    "It is the dawn that brings the pain, the night that brings the dream."

"Come find me when you wake up."

Quote Originally Posted by SofNascimento View Post
    I liked this issue. Superman using Doomsday as a battering ram against a few planets of the solar system was quite nice, Lex Luthor saying he should leave Earth and the scenes with other heroes were all good too. The scenes with Lana and Lois were above average though.
    Lana is a true believer...there's a really good friend and mentally matured high school ex girlfriend, not surprising why I have always liked Lana even as an electrical engineer hehe.

The panels were really good and can see making them in animation in the future. As for the little worm...we'll see him again in the Justice league issue next week.

Diana & Kal's interactions were great in each book and because of the injustice video game and JL:War movie I can hear in my mind Diana's warrior cry hehe.

Not a bad start to the event. A little choppy at times, but still nicely done. The battle against Doomsday wasn't just with Superman. It got everyone in Superman's life involved, including the Justice League. Now he's becoming Doomsday, something that's going to make for a very different kind of battle. It takes a very different approach compared to Death of Superman, but not too radical either. I'm still intrigued, but not letting myself get too excited just yet.
    Join me on the official website for X-men Supreme, home of Marvel Universe 1015. Want a fresh take on X-men? Click below to enter the official home of Marvel at it's most Supreme!

Or if you want, check out my YouTube channel, Jack's World.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Anthonior View Post
    Lana is a true believer...there's a really good friend and mentally matured high school ex girlfriend, not surprising why I have always liked Lana even as an electrical engineer hehe.

The panels were really good and can see making them in animation in the future. As for the little worm...we'll see him again in the Justice league issue next week.

Diana & Kal's interactions were great in each book and because of the injustice video game and JL:War movie I can hear in my mind Diana's warrior cry hehe.
    yeah I knew that they would make even Lana look better than Lois. that is BS...I had hopes with Pak but he is just one more writer trying to sink Lois and her fans.

His writing of WW is so laughable lol the most generic warrior girl out there.

I don't recommend superman books to female readers, better stick to batman and marvel books

This is really a discussion for the Action Comics #31 thread.

It's easier to trust Superman when you know he's your childhood friend and high school sweetheart. Lois has been a true believer in Superman from the beginning of the New 52. She defended him against attacks from Lex, military, and the media (McCoy at her PGN news network). In fact, most Superman origin stories (Birthright, Secret Origin, Smallville, Man of Steel) make a key part of the story the fact that Lois is one of the first humans to believe in Superman. What ultimately makes the sort of faith Lois typically expresses more powerful is that she believes in Superman without knowing everything about him or knowing him for a long time.

"Because you have seen me, you have believed; blessed are those who have not seen and yet have believed." (John 20:29)

I'm not sure why Lana believed Smallville was safe just because Superman left it behind. He left it behind knowing that the people there were already taking precautions to protect themselves. Lois informed Lana about the rumors of infection, and Lana just assumed Superman was fully aware of what was going on despite the fact that he left Smallville at less than full capacity. It's clear neither Superman nor anyone else was absolutely sure of what dangers still existed in Smallville or anywhere else. Superman didn't even know what was going on in his own body when he left Smallville. Lana would have been wise to assume that if Superman did believe Smallville was safe, then he would have informed all of the good people there of that fact.
    Last edited by misslane; 05-14-2014 at 10:17 AM.

Extraordinary Member Vanguard-01's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Rakzo View Post
    Luthor is a hero now and tells Superman to get out of earth
    Aaaand......that's the final nail in the coffin as far as my following this "Lex is a hero" crap.

Take your "Crap on Superman while glorifying Luthor" story and shove it, Johns.
    Though much is taken, much abides; and though
    We are not now that strength which in old days
    Moved earth and heaven, that which we are, we are,
    One equal temper of heroic hearts,
    Made weak by time and fate, but strong in will
    To strive, to seek, to find, and not to yield.

--Lord Alfred Tennyson--

Quote Originally Posted by Blacksun View Post
    yeah I knew that they would make even Lana look better than Lois. that is BS...I had hopes with Pak but he is just one more writer trying to sink Lois and her fans.

His writing of WW is so laughable lol the most generic warrior girl out there.

I don't recommend superman books to female readers, better stick to batman and marvel books
    Somehow I just don't see lane being sunked by Pak, the story is going great and lane is still doing her job even after being cought by the military, arrested and saved/helped by Diana in this case. It's pretty much what I'm use to see about lane, doing her job, get cought and then saved, to me that's quite standard so I don't see her getting sunked, kinda like "same old, same old" hehehe.

You don't recommend the books and yet here you are at the Superman forums and threads, reading the comics while you say better to stick with batman and marvel hehehe....that's good, that's really very good.

I don't see what's your standards for "generic warriors" but hey...it's just your opinion so I guess it's okay to have one.

BANNED

He ripped Doomsday apart with his bare hands. Literally. It doesn't get any badder than that.

I liked the Wonder Woman vs Doomsday rematch, he was even stronger this time around and she still held her own.

I also liked how after the two of them started to double team Doomsday he didn't want any piece of that action.

Somehow I just don't see lane being sunked by Pak, the story is going great and lane is still doing her job even after being cought by the military, arrested and saved/helped by Diana in this case. It's pretty much what I'm use to see about lane, doing her job, get cought and then saved, to me that's quite standard so I don't see her getting sunked, kinda like "same old, same old" hehehe.
    Blacksun is discussing how Pak is writing Lois, specifically writing Lana as a true believer in Superman while Lois uncharacteristically is less optimistic. You're describing events that mainly took place in Soule's Superman/Wonder Woman.

You don't recommend the books and yet here you are at the Superman forums and threads, reading the comics while you say better to stick with batman and marvel hehehe....that's good, that's really very good.
    You can't really recommend someone not read something unless you've read it.

I don't see what's your standards for "generic warriors" but hey...it's just your opinion so I guess it's okay to have one.
    Generic warriors can be any warrior character who could be replaced with another warrior character without the need to adjust the characterization.

BANNED

well she didn't need Diana to save her, she has powers to control the soldiers. just to start. Now Lana is the true believer of Superman, just to make her look better than Lois. just a reason for folks at internet say that lana is better than Lois for superman. that's not the standart of lois. Soule, Pak, Lobdell are all doing disservices for Lois.

my standarts for generic warrior girl is : swing swords all time, scream like a mindless beast, can't say something romantic. nothing to do with the way azzarello writes her
    Generic warriors can be any warrior character who could be replaced with another warrior character without the need to adjust the characterization.
    easily you can replace ww for xena or red sonja even if they are less generic than WW here