Page 1 of 8 12345 ... LastLast

Default Suggested Directions for the X-Franchise?

So I think it's been clear that the X-books have been in a big rut this past year. There doesn't seem to be any overarching plots, the books seem very isolated and the writers kind of reflect that by mostly doing very self-contained mini-arcs with little consequence to any characters or their environment.

Honestly I see this more with the JGS, Bendis has his own thing going on in his books which... are probably still going to take awhile to get going.

Anyway, bringing this back to the X-Men. The X-Men have got what they wanted since HoM. And this is big... or it's supposed to be. There are new mutants popping up again, slowly, but surely. Problem is we haven't seen much evidence of this outside of the school. What made the mutant feel impactful was their presence in the world --- the Hellfire Club, the Morlocks, Mutant Town, X-Corportation, Massachusetts Academy, Muir Island, etc... All that was pretty much taken away post-HoM. Now I think the process falls to the writers to build all that mythology back up. The X-Men need a world sandbox again.

But that's just part one of moving forward (and really more of a retread), second is doing something new with the characters. Their world is different now, so the characters should approach it differently. It'd be nice to see the X-Men evolve past a school, make it more professional. Not just a place to teach mutants, but to influence on a social and political level (similar to X-Corp). If they are supposed to be a civil rights allegory, it'd be nice to see them evolve into a more modern one.

Anyway, that's just my idea. What do you guys think the franchise should do?

Mild-Mannered Reporter BlitheringToot's Avatar

Beast should join the Avengers proper, and Storm and Iceman should join the Uncanny Avengers, with Storm leading the team.

With them gone, Nightcrawler becomes headmaster of the JGS. The school faces a massive threat in the form of Bishop's new Brotherhood of Evil Mutants, made up of other future X-villains such as Raze, Xavier Jr., and another time-displaced Trevor Fitzroy; lesser-known Claremont villains like Tartarus of the Neo and the unused second Super Sabre and Commando from X-Men #106; Unus, Siena Blaze and Astra. This Brotherhood's motivation is shaping the future of mutantkind--since Bishop and the future Brotherhood members from "Battle of the Atom" are trapped in this time, they figure they might as well make the best of things rather than attempt to go home again, and the JGS stands in the way of their plans. When all looks bleak, Cyclops and the New Xavier School arrive and helps fend the new Brotherhood off. With Beast and Iceman out of the picture, the JGS is now pretty much devoid of crazies, and Nightcrawler extends a hand of friendship to Cyclops, who accepts it, and they hash out the new status quo of the X-Men.

First, Cyclops concedes that it's kinda fitting for the school to be named after Jean, no matter how crappy Wolverine's intentions might have been at the time, and the school keeps its name. Cyclops and Nightcrawler agree that in some respects Logan was right--most young mutants have no interest in "the cause" and just want to learn to live a normal life. That being the case, the school itself is designated as a "safe zone." The Danger Room is still in effect so students can practice their powers, and they still learn basic self-defense, but the militarization aspect is toned down. The JGS remains a relatively fun and lighthearted place. Goldballs, Hijack and company are very happy to have nice beds to sleep in again instead of cots in the Weapon X facility.

However, on the edge of the property an underground bunker has been built. This is where Cyclops, Magik and crew train, and it's where the students with dangerous powers (or merely dangerous minds) go to hone their combat skills. It's not a hellish "Full Metal Jacket" environment or anything, but Scott makes it clear: this bunker is the school's chief line of defense. This is the War Room. This is where $#!+ goes down. And the final exam for mutants taught there is a fight with Danger.

So that's the basic scenario: Nightcrawler running the school, Cyclops as field leader, Bishop as the big bad. Eventually Scott and Emma would get back together, because let's face it, they're an awesome mutant power couple, and I reeeeeally want Ruby Summers to actually happen.

The public perception of the X-Men would change as well. Nightcrawler would be active promoting the school in media, and he's so darned likable it actually works. Attendance booms for the first time since Decimation, and nobody's stupid enough to try blowing up another school bus becaaaaause the likes of Cyclops and Magik are intimidating enough to keep anti-mutant harassment low. Cyclops' crew gets more involved in superheroics and is hailed as heroes after a few good team-ups, but even though they're not hated anymore ... they're definitely feared. Which is exactly how Scott wants it. So basically on one side you've got the grinning, gregarious Nightcrawler making you comfortable with the idea of mutants, and then on the other side you've got Cyclops and crew reminding you why they shouldn't be messed with. A good balance, I think.

There would also be yet another new X-Force, this one led by Maverick with characters like Mystique, Gambit, Forge, Marrow and Psylocke onboard, along with Tartarus' estranged sister Elysia. They wouldn't be as "black ops" as the past few incarnations, but they'd still know how to get their hands dirty. Fantomex will not be in this one.
    "What would you prefer? Yellow spandex?" – Scott Summers, 2000

Forward. Always forward.
    "It's not whether you win or lose, it's whether I win or lose." - Peter David, on life

"If you can't say anything nice about someone, sit right here by me." - Alice Roosevelt Longworth, on manners

"You're much stronger than you think you are." - Superman, on humankind

All-New, All-Different Marvel Checklist

Well the overarching plot for the next 5 years is meant to be the Original 5's effect on reality but it lacks the urgency that HoM had. They can only really change directions once Bendis chooses to wrap up his O5 plot. And his stint on the Avengers lasted 7 years. We're already two years into his reign so after 5 more years we'll have a new direction.

Quote Originally Posted by Michael P View Post
    Forward. Always forward.
    We must move forward, not backward; upward, not forward; and always twirling, twirling, twirling!
    BB

Maybe it's time the mutants be proactive they were years brink of extinction but are now back on the road but stuck in old problems before No More Mutants and because of Axis and other events (including FOX vs MARVEL) mutants are not in a position very good.

A major problem of the mutant heroes is that they expect the fight to come to them always assuming a defensive position taking some X-Force exceptions this is their story.

It is time for mutants show that are part of the world and not only outcasts seeking survival. To show that can help make the world a better place and they are true heroes. They do not need Avengers to save the world and should not even expect them to change public opinion about them with a mixed team that is they should do it for themselves.

Maybe it's time to stop hiding and create a team to solve big problems and save the world in order to change public opinion. Of course for this team heavyweights are needed.

I also believe it is time for students and new mutants seek your space are Jean Gray school or the children of the Revolution. It is a dangerous bet but some innovation is necessary we see maybe five or eight of the most popular and see if something can come out of it who knows?

* As the heroes with their own magazines I do not know maybe Magik or it may be too early?

i would end this stupid schism have them unified again. End the all female x-men book thats not really doing anything and relaunch it with memebers from both jgs and nxs dealing with working together on a permanent basis.Depeding if x-force is still going on or not id have them based out of the nxs dealing with threats

Quote Originally Posted by BlitheringToot View Post
    Beast should join the Avengers proper, and Storm and Iceman should join the Uncanny Avengers, with Storm leading the team.

With them gone, Nightcrawler becomes headmaster of the JGS. The school faces a massive threat in the form of Bishop's new Brotherhood of Evil Mutants, made up of other future X-villains such as Raze, Xavier Jr., and another time-displaced Trevor Fitzroy; lesser-known Claremont villains like Tartarus of the Neo and the unused second Super Sabre and Commando from X-Men #106; Unus, Siena Blaze and Astra. This Brotherhood's motivation is shaping the future of mutantkind--since Bishop and the future Brotherhood members from "Battle of the Atom" are trapped in this time, they figure they might as well make the best of things rather than attempt to go home again, and the JGS stands in the way of their plans. When all looks bleak, Cyclops and the New Xavier School arrive and helps fend the new Brotherhood off. With Beast and Iceman out of the picture, the JGS is now pretty much devoid of crazies, and Nightcrawler extends a hand of friendship to Cyclops, who accepts it, and they hash out the new status quo of the X-Men.

First, Cyclops concedes that it's kinda fitting for the school to be named after Jean, no matter how crappy Wolverine's intentions might have been at the time, and the school keeps its name. Cyclops and Nightcrawler agree that in some respects Logan was right--most young mutants have no interest in "the cause" and just want to learn to live a normal life. That being the case, the school itself is designated as a "safe zone." The Danger Room is still in effect so students can practice their powers, and they still learn basic self-defense, but the militarization aspect is toned down. The JGS remains a relatively fun and lighthearted place. Goldballs, Hijack and company are very happy to have nice beds to sleep in again instead of cots in the Weapon X facility.

However, on the edge of the property an underground bunker has been built. This is where Cyclops, Magik and crew train, and it's where the students with dangerous powers (or merely dangerous minds) go to hone their combat skills. It's not a hellish "Full Metal Jacket" environment or anything, but Scott makes it clear: this bunker is the school's chief line of defense. This is the War Room. This is where $#!+ goes down. And the final exam for mutants taught there is a fight with Danger.

So that's the basic scenario: Nightcrawler running the school, Cyclops as field leader, Bishop as the big bad. Eventually Scott and Emma would get back together, because let's face it, they're an awesome mutant power couple, and I reeeeeally want Ruby Summers to actually happen.

The public perception of the X-Men would change as well. Nightcrawler would be active promoting the school in media, and he's so darned likable it actually works. Attendance booms for the first time since Decimation, and nobody's stupid enough to try blowing up another school bus becaaaaause the likes of Cyclops and Magik are intimidating enough to keep anti-mutant harassment low. Cyclops' crew gets more involved in superheroics and is hailed as heroes after a few good team-ups, but even though they're not hated anymore ... they're definitely feared. Which is exactly how Scott wants it. So basically on one side you've got the grinning, gregarious Nightcrawler making you comfortable with the idea of mutants, and then on the other side you've got Cyclops and crew reminding you why they shouldn't be messed with. A good balance, I think.

There would also be yet another new X-Force, this one led by Maverick with characters like Mystique, Gambit, Forge, Marrow and Psylocke onboard, along with Tartarus' estranged sister Elysia. They wouldn't be as "black ops" as the past few incarnations, but they'd still know how to get their hands dirty. Fantomex will not be in this one.
    Not a bad idea. I wouldn't have Scott and Emma get back together though. Let them remain friends, and each find happiness elsewhere. I don't want Scott in any relationship that ends up being in any way about Jean unless it actually IS Jean. And Emma, as much as I enjoy reading her, ended up being too much about Jean.
    Dark does not mean deep.

Yeah, end the schism.

Roguecrawler leading the JGS (Rogue is a main Avunger and X-men (plus X-forcer now)
    Friendly relationship with NXS
    New volume of X-men With Rogue and Emma Frost teaming up with the rest of the marvel universe
    A new series of Rogue vol 4 with Carey and Bachalo in almost 36 issues

Quote Originally Posted by jazzflower92 View Post
    Yeah, end the schism.
    Or instead of ending, just make a ideological schism not a completly mutant vs mutant schism

maybe a call for each other sometime

Emma: Hey Rachel, is your Cerebro updated to android 5.0?
    Rachel: Nope, we use IOS
    Emma: Its easy to being in apple when your krakoa make diamonds trees.

Amazing Member

I can't speak to a direction for the X-books, but I would like to see the X-office institute a policy that at least one of the characters of a book would feature a character that has only been in say, 30 or fewer issues in the previous year. I don't think that is too much of a task.

Quote Originally Posted by blackNblue View Post
    I can't speak to a direction for the X-books, but I would like to see the X-office institute a policy that at least one of the characters of a book would feature a character that has only been in say, 30 or fewer issues in the previous year. I don't think that is too much of a task.
    It would be a nice policy, but if you force authors to write characters they dislike (especially if it is a strong dislike) you can get some really bad stories. No matter what you think of the current state, it could easily get worse.
    Dark does not mean deep.

Let Gerry Duggan run the franchise for a long while
    http://www.shadowandflamewithmagik.com/

My Blog following the adventures of Kitty Pryde, Lockheed and Magik

Militantly Indifferent Kisinith's Avatar

End the schism but don't put all of the X-Teams in the same house. Then give each book a main team with little to no character overlap and give each team a clear focus.