Default Treasury Editions/Over-Sized Classic Comics

Hello there everyone!

There might be a thread like this already so I apologize if there is. But I couldn't find one and I just bought my first ever Treasury Edition classic comic, and I absolutely love it! So I thought it' be fun to have a thread in this forum where we can discuss Treasury Editions and other over-sized comics (like magazine editions) and show off collection photos and what-not!

I was at my LCS on Wednesday and about to go to the register to pay, and I spotted some over-sized classic comics on the shelf next to variant covers. What caught my eye was a Howard the Duck Marvel Treasury Edition from 1976 which has a reprinting of Howard the Duck #1 in it. It was only $5, and I couldn't say no to that. I ended up getting it for only $3 because I was buying a lot of comics and my LCS' owner is cool like that

Here it is (it looks this way because I put it on Instagram originally)!

howardtheduck.jpg

It's in pretty rough shape, and it's pretty yellow, but considering it's almost 40 years old and I only paid $3 for it, I couldn't be more stoked to have it. I haven't read it yet, and I'm eventually going to get a frame to put it on my wall. I just love the colors and the classic look of it, so I've just been admiring it so far.

So how about you guys? Have any Treasury Editions or over-sized comics to show off?
    Harley Quinn, New Suicide Squad, Grayson, Batgirl, Red Sonja, The Mighty Thor, Catwoman, Bitch Planet, Secret Six, Silk, Descender, Sabrina, Archie, JLA, DC Bombshells, Black Magick, Paper Girls, Tokyo Ghost, Vampirella, Scarlet Witch, A-Force, Extraordinary X-Men, X-Men '92, The Legend of Wonder Woman, All-New Wolverine, Power Rangers, Hellcat, Monstress, Descender

image.jpgI started reading comics in 76. I can remember the absolute THRILL I had when I saw my first oversized comic! I got two actually, SUPERBOY & the LEGION and SUPERMAN VS FLASH. I was in heaven. I had quite a few of the DC issues but only a few Marvel issues. My favorite has to be the Batman edition that reprinted the Ra's Al Ghul story. Awesome wrap around Neal Adams cover! I've since bought most of them over on EBay but still need the SUPERMAN VS WONDER WOMAN issue. That's one that I never had. It was always tough to find them back in the day. I loved the tabloid comics though. I remember the last one I bought was one about Superman's fortress & then they just disappeared. That was a fun time!

image.jpg. image.jpg
    Last edited by Jon-El; 04-19-2015 at 08:43 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Jon-El View Post
    image.jpgI started reading comics in 76. I can remember the absolute THRILL I had when I saw my first oversized comic! I got two actually, SUPERBOY & the LEGION and SUPERMAN VS FLASH. I was in heaven. I had quite a few of the DC issues but only a few Marvel issues. My favorite has to be the Batman edition that reprinted the Ra's Al Ghul story. Awesome wrap around Neal Adams cover! I've since bought most of them over on EBay but still need the SUPERMAN VS WONDER WOMAN issue. That's one that I never had. It was always tough to find them back in the day. I loved the tabloid comics though. I remember the last one I bought was one about Superman's fortress & then they just disappeared. That was a fun time!

image.jpg. image.jpg
    I also began reading as a little kid with these treasury sized editions. I still have the first Star Wars marvel treasury comic but had the unfortunate habit of coloring in them. I actually ruined a friend's copy of the Superman vs Flash comic pictured above. Most of them aren't especially valuable dollar wise but they are still hard to find these days. Those were the days.

I loved these as a kid! My favorite was the Legion of Super-Heroes on where Lightning Lad and Saturn Girl got married. Unfortunatley, my dad threw them all away when I went to college. I bought that one back a few years ago, as well as another Legion of Super-Heroes Treasury Edition (the one Jon-El pictures above). Within the past couple of months, I've also gotten Thor, All-Star Comics, and a Marvel Giant Superhero Holiday Grab-Bag. Great stuff!

I tended to cut the books up. They usually had some puzzle or 3d figure to cut out & I couldn't resist. I got my first versions when a guy at a Wolworth department store was tearing off covers of unused copies & disposing of them. He just handed them to me! He made me very happy that day. Check out treasurycomics.com. Really cool site with lots of info on.

Here are some of the Marvel issues I had.

image.jpg. image.jpg image.jpg

The last issue was a new story drawn by Herb Trimpe.
    Last edited by Jon-El; 04-20-2015 at 10:10 AM.

The first one I ever bought:
    Marvel_Treasury_Edition_Vol_1_11.jpg
    Still one of my favorites!

Astonishing Member Johnny Thunders!'s Avatar

I have a few but my favorite are the DC Supervillain origin comics, the Spiderman Superman team ups, the Batman and Hulk, and the Capt. Marvel vs. Supes comic.

Here are the last two I bought back then. This was the end of the DC oversized books for a long time. It was coming close to the end of my golden age of buying comics. I didn't take care of my comics so I'd always be on the look out for these books. I got most of them again on eBay but still am tempted to buy certain issues over when I see them. I was pumped to get the SUPERMAN VS SHAZAM again but thought it was a letdown. Awesome art but the story isn't great.
    image.jpgimage.jpg

I'm so happy this thread finally got some replies! I knew there had to be some other Treasury edition/over-sized comic lovers here

Jon-El, those are some awesome books you've got! I'd seen a few of those before on ebay but many of them I haven't. I'd love to try and pick some of those up at some point just to have.
    Harley Quinn, New Suicide Squad, Grayson, Batgirl, Red Sonja, The Mighty Thor, Catwoman, Bitch Planet, Secret Six, Silk, Descender, Sabrina, Archie, JLA, DC Bombshells, Black Magick, Paper Girls, Tokyo Ghost, Vampirella, Scarlet Witch, A-Force, Extraordinary X-Men, X-Men '92, The Legend of Wonder Woman, All-New Wolverine, Power Rangers, Hellcat, Monstress, Descender

In the late 80's, I used to go to flea markets & see these for maybe $3 apiece. I wish I'd jumped on more of those then. Every so often there are good deals on eBay though. There's something about the larger images that still grab me. I think Alex Ross said the same thing.

image.jpg

Got SUPERMAN vs WONDER WOMAN today. That's pretty much the last major one I needed. My copy of SUPERMAN vs ALI is pretty ragged so I'd like another one of those. I had SPIDER-MAN & HULK at the Winter Olympics as a kid so I'd like to have that. That completes my effort to buy all the ones I had from childhood. If I see any of the older DC issues I might get those. Now I need some actual bags for storage.

Oh! I still want the SUPER FRIENDS issue. I never had that. Always liked this Superman cover.

image.jpg image.jpg

Classic comics like Prince Valiant, Little Nemo and more reprinted in the Sunday Comics. Visit www.goldenbell.tv to learn more!