Default Sword Art Online

Feel free to move this to another forum if necessary.

I am watching the first episode of the anime and am a little confused. Maybe it's pointless to ask but...

So, 213 people die because family and friends attempted to remove the helmet of the players but...how were they supposed to know that the result of their actions would fry people's heads? What previous evidence/knowledge would they have had that this would happen? This is supposed to be the first time that anything like this has happened before.

Anyone have any explanations? This is going to bother me for awhile.

Mighty Member

They weren't supposed to know beforehand.

Kayaba is a callous madman who, in order to kidnap thousands of people in his VR world, needs to prevent people from simply removing the darn things. A number of early deaths reveals that his threat is actually deadly serious and that he has ten thousand hostages, which will presumably discourage attempts to mess with SAO for the duration of the experiment.

So you're saying it was inevitable that some people would die by accident until people realized his plan.

Quote Originally Posted by Estrecca View Post

Kayaba is a callous madman who, in order to kidnap thousands of people in his VR world, needs to prevent people from simply removing the darn things. A number of early deaths reveals that his threat is actually deadly serious and that he has ten thousand hostages, which will presumably discourage attempts to mess with SAO for the duration of the experiment.
    Is that the fella who made it so so many of them were traped in the game world?

Or the fella who the show seems to be following?

Quote Originally Posted by Estrecca View Post

Basically this. The deaths allow Kabaya to show he means business which ensures no one is going to tamper with the Nerve Gear recklessly.

Quote Originally Posted by Crimson Knight View Post
    Is that the fella who made it so so many of them were traped in the game world?

Or the fella who the show seems to be following?
    Kabaya is the game designer and developer. So yeah, he's the one who trapped them there.

Kirito is the guy the story follows.
    Hazard's Playhouse - Episodic anime reviews and other things. Current Post: Houshin Engi: What was Skipped
    My Fanfiction.Net Profile

Quote Originally Posted by Vandal Savage View Post
    So you're saying it was inevitable that some people would die by accident until people realized his plan.
    Seems logical that some people getting concerned that their loved one/friend wasn't coming out of VR would try to forcibly remove the nervegear where their only other options are to ring the tech help line (not knowing the situation), or call a hospital for advice or even call the police.

Of course that monster Kayaba linked so well to SAO would immediately know when people were "retired" from the game in this fashion.

I really enjoyed season one of this series and am making my way through season 2 now.... Not as good as Log Horizon but it is still pretty good.

Quote Originally Posted by Hazard View Post
    Basically this. The deaths allow Kabaya to show he means business which ensures no one is going to tamper with the Nerve Gear recklessly.

Kabaya is the game designer and developer. So yeah, he's the one who trapped them there.

Kirito is the guy the story follows.
    Oh, okay, thanks very much. Knew it was a K character, for the protagonist - or not so nice, or pure, main character, three episodes in, I am.

Just LETHAL animation, decent voices, fair few I recognise. Lot better than Hack/slash/Hack/sign.

Though, digital wise, nothing on Digimon.

Quote Originally Posted by Choos View Post
    Seems logical that some people getting concerned that their loved one/friend wasn't coming out of VR would try to forcibly remove the nervegear where their only other options are to ring the tech help line (not knowing the situation), or call a hospital for advice or even call the police.

Of course that monster Kayaba linked so well to SAO would immediately know when people were "retired" from the game in this fashion.

I really enjoyed season one of this series and am making my way through season 2 now.... Not as good as Log Horizon but it is still pretty good.
    Is Season 2 subbed, dubbed, or Raw?

Quote Originally Posted by Crimson Knight View Post
    Is Season 2 subbed, dubbed, or Raw?
    Don't think it has been dubbed yet but subs aplenty out there which is the superior way to watch anyway.

Amazing Member

Well players who decided to take the helmet off died so that probably made sure no one else removed it.(some of them died in the plaza in the beginning when they had theirs removed).Moreover it "might" have been broadcast in the news or something. :P who knows kayaba akihiko pulled it off in the end though didnt he