Page 1 of 16 1234511 ... LastLast

Default Recap/Review: All-New X-Men #27 *SPOILERS*

This was a neat issue. Plenty of action, filling in some backstory for the Brotherhood, and a bit of a situation at the end.

• It starts in a hospital one year in the past, with Moira MacTaggert giving birth.
    • Turns out it's Mystique pretending to be her, and the baby is Xavier's (possibly).
    • Cut to the present, and it seems like the Brotherhood is, in fact, back in its entirety. Molly smashes through the door.
    • Over in the cafeteria, Cristopher heads to Laura to heal her while everyone's panicking over a shapeshifter. He's promptly stabbed by Raze, who was pretending to be Laura.
    • The brawl starts moments before the power goes out.
    • The emergency power kicks in, and the scene moves to Celeste and Phoebe, looking out of their rooms and wondering what's going on. They find Mindee, and she promptly fries them telepathically.
    • Xorn was apparently the one behind that, and the Brotherhood starts hunting for the last few uninvolved X-Men.
    • They're met with a pretty intense optic blast that sends them right back out their improvised door.
    • Scott, Jean, and Emma briefly wonder about how the dead Brotherhood members are back and what it is they want.
    • Cut to the future, and we see Xavier's powers manifesting... which kills his (foster) mother.
    • Back with Raze, Bobby gets to pin him to the wall. Magik panics over Christopher dying.
    • Raze tries to mess with them by shapeshifting into Laura, then Tyke. Hank puts a stop to that with a punch to the face.
    • Cristopher manages to heal himself, and while everyone tries to regroup the still-controlled Mindee shows up and goes to town on them all.
    • Cut to the future again, this time in Madripoor. We find out that Raze killed Mystique and took her place in the thing she set up there. Xavier finds him and they chat about their parents and the future.
    • Back to the present, Scott, Jean, and Emma are trying to figure out how they're going to help the team in the cafeteria. The Brotherhood is psychically torturing everyone except them, and it's getting to Jean.
    • The Brotherhood psychics find Jean, prompting Emma to knock her out before they can beat down her defenses (she didn't like the math).
    • Jean wakes up in a telepathic landscape, with Xavier, Xorn, and the Cuckoos all staring her down.

This was a pretty interesting read. I wasn't expecting the development of the future Xavier, but it fills in the Brotherhood's story a bit and gives him (and Raze) a little more background. While the return of the previously deceased Brotherhood members (Beast, Xorn, Deadpool) isn't explained yet, I'm pretty sure it will be soon. The characters on both teams bring it up repeatedly. One odd point is that the future Xavier is the old Xavier's son, not his grandson. Could be wrong, but I think that's a switch from what was said back in Battle... although he could've just been lying then. Not sure why he would, though.

Raze shapeshifting in as Laura was a neat twist, and certainly explains why she hadn't simply healed back up by herself. On the other hand, it does leave us with the question of where she is.

Not sure I can say I approve of the way Emma turned on Jean the second she mentioned that the Brotherhood found her. Even if the explanation makes some sense, you'd think leaving her conscious would be more helpful... anyway, Jean's in a pretty bad spot at the end of this. Curious to see if she'll manage to get out of that.

It also seems like the Uncanny and All-New casts are being blended very thoroughly here. I don't mind, it's good to be reminded that they are actually living in the same place, but it could be a turn-off for some people.

Fun stuff overall, and I'm very interested to see how this plays out next issue.

So by Nu-Xavier's admission the reason they originally failed is because they didn't take out teen Jean, which is what this new assault to fix. I predict this arc will serve as Angel's big moment. The Brotherhood will take out Jean and figure with one of the most dangerous ones out of the way the rest will be cake. This will leave the opening for them to get unexpectedly taken down by the one they least expected to pose any threat (Warren).

emma knocking jean on her ass was worth the price of admission.

Quote Originally Posted by ariwl1 View Post
    So by Nu-Xavier's admission the reason they originally failed is because they didn't take out teen Jean, which is what this new assault to fix. I predict this arc will serve as Angel's big moment. The Brotherhood will take out Jean and figure with one of the most dangerous ones out of the way the rest will be cake. This will leave the opening for them to get unexpectedly taken down by the one they least expected to pose any threat (Warren).
    Yep, seems like we'll get a chance for Warren to actually do something and we'll also get more of the Jean becoming Xorna story.

BANNED

This was OK, but it didn't move me at all really. Don't really care about Mystique' new kids. Both seem even more like phone-ins than they did before. Xavier Jr. is yet another "professor X sucks" story and Raze really is just yet another angry Wolverine kid. They just scream of a lack of effort and integrity right now, but I suppose it's possible Bendis has something better in play than just shitting on Prof and Logan...But I'm not holding my breath.

Emma punching Jean didn't get a rise. They have no history. That's what happens when you delete/ignore continuity.

I really hope this issue's revelations aren't the meat of the Will and Testament story.

Art was fantastic, per par. Immonen/Grawbadger/Gracia are an amazing art squad.

Amazing Member

So glad that Emma struck Jean. (Lol so many people striking kids this week. Thanks, Silicon Valley)

Anyway, we'll see how well this turns out.

Triage's getting another facet of his power is interesting. I really wish we can start exploring what other things we can do with their powers.

Avoiding the worst forgotten_utopia's Avatar

I don't like most of it!mystique's children can you die and vanish allready!
    Be the change you want to see in the world.
    Mahatma Ghandi

not impressed with raze at all either. he is so uninspired. but whatever! it's a fun story. also christopher makes me nervous. first he heals people, now he's raising zombies and achieving immortality.

i feel like bendis is trying to marginalize elixir in favor of christopher. if that is the case, then triage must be destroyed.

Quote Originally Posted by AcesX1X View Post
    i feel like bendis is trying to marginalize elixir in favor of christopher.
    He doesn't need to at this point really. When was the last time Elixir showed up?

Unless Kyle&Yost bring him back in AXM he's a goner.

BANNED

I cynically thought Triage was for real dead. I guess I have to give Bendis some minor props for not doing the dead black mutant trope.

Hooray for small victories.

BANNED

Raze & Xavier bore me as well, especially their designs. No originality unlike Legion for example who stands out as his character with powers.
    I don't mind the idea of this story, it's just, as someone already said - uninspired~~~~~!!

Emma Frost knocking out TJ did make me LoOOoOL~~ though and it was interesting that Bendis used the o5 in the big fight instead of his actual creations. oOooOopppzz.

& does all this mean that Mystique has already given birth in our timeline then and there's that Xavier Jr baby around somewhere?~?

BANNED

Yes. Xavier Jr. was born a year ago, 616.

I'd like to see an exploration of what Triage's powers actually are. If he can bring himself back from the dead, bring back the dead as zombies, does that also mean he's immortal as well?

And at this point, I have to wonder how many actual children does Mystique actually have now?

♥♥عابث سولاناس♥♥ Park Slope Pixie's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Phoenix Egg View Post
    I cynically thought Triage was for real dead. I guess I have to give Bendis some minor props for not doing the dead black mutant trope.

Hooray for small victories.
    Killing the healer would have triumphed over any other tropery.

triage is essentially immortal now.