Fantastic Member wickedmountain's Avatar

Default thoughts on a earth S possibility after convergence

someone said this in a comment thought was interesting

As much as Id enjoy seeing a title or two set in a different continuity (like we've seen with the digital firsts and Earth-2) I think people are getting their hopes up with Convergence. We'll get some changes and some concepts folded back in I imagine, much as we did after Zero Hour and the 52 series, but I doubt we'll see much more than that.

If DC does explore their multiverse more through a title or two, I'd honestly rather see something other than Earth S. It's ultimately little more than a slightly different tone in storytelling from the average, with a limited cast, and we can already get that sort of thing in the main DCU. Just look at how different Gotham Academy or Harley Quinn are; there's plenty of room for light-hearted stuff in the current continuity, and despite what the haters say, there are already books that fit the bill.

I'd rather see something we couldnt get otherwise. A title that features a team of heroes from various worlds protecting the multiverse for example, (akin to what Morrison already established with the first issue of Multiversity) or a straight up, 30's style pulp title with nazis and gangsters in fedoras akin to Final Frontier. Or a Super Friends style title that features the Batman 66, Lynda Carter Wonder Woman, Reeves Superman, and so on.
    "We all know the truth: more connects us than separates us. But in times of crisis the wise build bridges, while the foolish build barriers. We must find a way to look after one another, as if we were one single tribe."

~ Black Panther.

I’d rather see Thunderworld than Earth S: aside from small differences in their takes on Captain Marvel, it’s possible that Thunderworld might also be the home of several other superheroes, such as Bulletman and Bulletgirl, the Golden Arrow, Captain Midnight, Mr. Scarlet and Pinky, and so on.
    Rogue wears rouge.
    Angel knows all the angles.

Astonishing Member

Earth-S will always be the pre-Flashpoint, pre-Infinite Crisis version of Earth-5. I'm not a guy who needs the "old school version" to keep on existing in a bubble, because it never really can - you can't revisit it in any way without the Heisenberg Uncertainty Principle kicking in. Whomsoever modern writer writes a visit to Classic Captain Marvel Land is thus not actually writing Captain Marvel but his or her own Modern "IT'S JUST NOT THE SAME" version of it.

Or it literally exists in a bubble ... like a Brainiac bottle dome bubble, like Parker & Shaner's upcoming and hopefully excellent take on the Earth-S Fawcett City preserved in timeless perpetuity in time immemorial on the Eve of COIE.

Ostensibly we've only really seen the "Post-Infinite Crisis" Reborn Earth-5 variations turn up a couple of times, right? In Morrison comics like 52, Final Crisis and Thunderworld Adventures. I've really liked that Earth-5 is essentially unchanged from Earth-S apart from the occasional Multiversal crossover.
    Retro315 no more. Anonymity is so 2005.
    retrowarbird.blogspot.com

Fantastic Member wickedmountain's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Dataweaver View Post
    I’d rather see Thunderworld than Earth S: aside from small differences in their takes on Captain Marvel, it’s possible that Thunderworld might also be the home of several other superheroes, such as Bulletman and Bulletgirl, the Golden Arrow, Captain Midnight, Mr. Scarlet and Pinky, and so on.
    that would be cool to see your right