Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    foxyandroxy4eva

Default Which Comic Series Have Never Been Cancelled?

Which comic series have never been cancelled since their initial publication? I've heard the story of how only Superman, Batman, and Wonder Woman remained in publication at the end of the Golden Age superhero boom. So that potentially disqualifies a lot of people right of the bat, but I'm trying to list actual comic series, not just characters that remain in publication.

Re numberings and re titles dont count as cancellations as long as it was a continuous publication as opposed to a reboot after a long dry spell. So Action and Dectective and a lot of Marvels are all safe I think. As far as I know there's never been a lull in Archie comics. The Walking Dead Slays on.

But there's a lot of big names that have gone under at one point or another. DC seems to shuffle the deck and bench guys quite a bit. Uncanny Xmen was technically cancelled at one point right? And the second longest X-men series X-Men Legacy ended with issue 300 last year. Voluntarily ending a series does count as a cancellation, so series like Cerebus don't get to play.

It'd be cool to have a definitive list of uncancelled series. I'm gonna do some research. Lemme know what you guys know.
    Last edited by foxyandroxy4eva; 01-03-2015 at 01:52 PM.

007 girl.

'Archie' from Archie comics is still going since 1942 but the series will be relaunched with a new #1 this year.
    Kings 21:23
    And of Jezebel also spake the LORD, saying, The dogs shall eat Jezebel by the wall of Jezreel.

Until the New 52 version was cancelled, I believe Legion of Super-Heroes was published nearly-continuously (aside from planned breaks for events and such) for 40 years.

Do 2000 AD programs count?

Quote Originally Posted by foxyandroxy4eva View Post
    Uncanny Xmen was technically cancelled at one point right?
    Actually, technically it wasn't. Issues 67 to 93 were all reprints, but it kept its bimonthly periodicity for over 4 years except for a four months gap between #93 (last reprint) and #94 (Claremont's debut).

IMO, any series that gets canceled and the next month there's a new #1 with the same or similar title should not have been canceled. But, I accept that that's the way comics are going to work from now on, so I'll just keep being curmudgeon-y about it.

Are we talking American series only, or series in general? Also, how long should the series have been running, to be interesting? 5 years, 20 years, more?

Anyway, to get the ball rolling, I think these series qualify:

Action Comics
    Detective Comics
    Batman
    Wonder Woman
    Savage Dragon
    Spawn
    Witchblade
    Walking Dead
    Invincible

Incredible Member CrazyOldHermit's Avatar

It's kind of a foggy question, since a series that just debuted last month would qualify. How far back are you looking?

Theres also the issue of retitlings and reformattings. Superman has been going since 1939 but in 1986 it was retitled "Adventures of Superman" while Superman Vol 2 started. But twenty years later Superman Vol 2 was cancelled and Adventures went back to being normal Superman. So what happened there?
    Miller was right.

Quote Originally Posted by CrazyOldHermit View Post
    Theres also the issue of retitlings and reformattings. Superman has been going since 1939 but in 1986 it was retitled "Adventures of Superman" while Superman Vol 2 started. But twenty years later Superman Vol 2 was cancelled and Adventures went back to being normal Superman. So what happened there?
    Yeah, that's why I didn't put Superman on the list.

Quote Originally Posted by WeirdSpace View Post
    Yeah, that's why I didn't put Superman on the list.
    I'd still count it.