Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    BANNED

Default What ever happened to Lyra?

I was wondering... what ever happened to Lyra ? I haven't seen her in the hulk comics in awhile ?

bonus question: is she really the daughter of hulk and thunder ? or is she like a clone of thunder with a little hulk dna so she could have her gamma powers ?

BANNED

oh and one more bonus question. why are bruce and betty not together anymore. now that she is a hulk to you think that would bring them closer together ?

Quote Originally Posted by kid_omega_prime View Post
    I was wondering... what ever happened to Lyra ? I haven't seen her in the hulk comics in awhile ?

bonus question: is she really the daughter of hulk and thunder ? or is she like a clone of thunder with a little hulk dna so she could have her gamma powers ?
    Lyra will be appearing in an upcoming issue of Incredible Hulk, as Doc Green is trying to depower all of the other Hulks. He's successfully depowered Rick and Betty, so impliedly Lyra is on his list as well.

Larger issue--Marvel never really figured out what to do with Lyra. She was an agent of ARMOR, then she was Jen's ward, and then she joined the Avengers Academy. She was briefly a Defender during FEAR ITSELF. Marvel may have planned to have her join the X-Men, but that never came to be.

Bonus answer: I believe the author of the original story where Lyra appeared (Jeff Parker?) intended her to be the product of a sexual union between the Hulk and Thundra, but editorial scrubbed that. Instead, Thundra got Hulk's DNA from his mouth (probably from running her tongue around in there). The Fall of the Hulks: Red Hulk series dropped a hint that Ross might have actually been Lyra's father, but nothing came from that either.

Quote Originally Posted by kid_omega_prime View Post
    oh and one more bonus question. why are bruce and betty not together anymore. now that she is a hulk to you think that would bring them closer together ?
    See recent issues of Incredible Hulk: Betty's not a Hulk anymore. Also, after Betty came back from the dead, she'd learned that Bruce had been married to Caiera and kind of wanted to move on with her life now that so much time had passed since she'd died. As a larger point, Bruce and Betty may have been another "breakup" couple since Marvel doesn't seem to like permanent couples right now.

Mighty Member

Quote Originally Posted by resipsaloquitur View Post
    As a larger point, Bruce and Betty may have been another "breakup" couple since Marvel doesn't seem to like permanent couples right now.
    Truth is she was "dead" dead, at least so much as dead meant dead at the time after Infinity: The End (which is as it should be). The Better/Bruce thing had NEVER gained a lot of traction as a solid relationship. How COULD it? How could ANY relationship with Banner work unless the woman was serious high level superhuman in her own right AND got lucky and Banner/Hulk didn't lose it.

Lyra will be appearing in an upcoming issue of Incredible Hulk, as Doc Green is trying to depower all of the other Hulks. He's successfully depowered Rick and Betty, so impliedly Lyra is on his list as well.

Larger issue--Marvel never really figured out what to do with Lyra. She was an agent of ARMOR, then she was Jen's ward, and then she joined the Avengers Academy. She was briefly a Defender during FEAR ITSELF. Marvel may have planned to have her join the X-Men, but that never came to be.

Bonus answer: I believe the author of the original story where Lyra appeared (Jeff Parker?) intended her to be the product of a sexual union between the Hulk and Thundra, but editorial scrubbed that. Instead, Thundra got Hulk's DNA from his mouth (probably from running her tongue around in there). The Fall of the Hulks: Red Hulk series dropped a hint that Ross might have actually been Lyra's father, but nothing came from that either.
    Of course, with Lyra, even if he managed to remove the Hulk-related parts of her genetic makeup, you would think she should remain approximately as strong and tough as her mother, Thundra - which is still plenty superhuman.

Unless the main idea is just to not have any other Hulks around, in which case with Lyra Doc Green's solution might involve sending her back to her alternate future instead of depowering her.

I wish Marvel had run with the idea of her being an ARMOR agent. In fact, I really wish ARMOR had caught on more. It was a great idea that really makes sense in the MU, especially with all of the stuff going on in Avengers right now. I really hope that someone utilizes them better in the future, and they can utilize the many alternate universe characters in the 616 as a task force.

Quite possibly, she might be another Hulk depowered and made normal. But yeah I would love to see her more as an ARMOR agent.

Quote Originally Posted by Nix Uotan View Post
    Quite possibly, she might be another Hulk depowered and made normal. But yeah I would love to see her more as an ARMOR agent.
    Given how this Onega Hulk arc has ended every issue that Doc Green confronts another hulk with them depowered and him going off on his way, I think might is giving a little too much hope that she's spared (yes I am still a bit bitter from the loss of both Skaar and Red She-Hulk).

Quote Originally Posted by Nix Uotan View Post
    Given her mother is Thundra, I'd assume even if de-Hulked she'd still be strong enough to wrestle the Thing.

Quote Originally Posted by vitruvian View Post
    Given her mother is Thundra, I'd assume even if de-Hulked she'd still be strong enough to wrestle the Thing.
    Maybe, maybe. Lyra was briefly depowered in Incredible Hulk #605 and appeared to be a woman of moderate muscular build. However, in the later She-Hulks miniseries, Lyra seems to have been retconned in age to a teenager, possibly age 16. She looked to be of very "regular" build and didn't look capable of lifting more than her own weight.

One thing that's never been resolved is the status of Lyra's relationship with her mom. After getting the Hulk's DNA, Thundra returned to her future and gave birth to Lyra, raising her for a few years. She disappeared after that and Lyra grew to resent her mom for not being there as she grew up. Lyra later met a past version of Thundra from after she got Hulk's DNA but before returning home (time travel...yeesh) and eventually came to forgive Thundra for leaving her. Why Thundra left was never explained, although she did show up last year in Fearless Defenders.

So anyway, we're overdue for a Thundra/Lyra reunion.

Astonishing Member

Not to hijack this thread, but the mention of Lyra remaining powered by Thundra has be wondering.

Why would Skaar leave the Savage Land when he still has Oldstrong powers? Or did he give those powers up? I mean Caiera was able to go toe-to-toe with the Hulk (albeit diminished in strength) back on Sakaar. Surely Oldstrong powers would have been enough for Skaar to survive there.

Maybe, maybe. Lyra was briefly depowered in Incredible Hulk #605 and appeared to be a woman of moderate muscular build. However, in the later She-Hulks miniseries, Lyra seems to have been retconned in age to a teenager, possibly age 16. She looked to be of very "regular" build and didn't look capable of lifting more than her own weight.
    Well, it's not like Thundra, while quite muscular, looks like she ought to be able to wrestle the Thing, either. Was Lyra specifically deprived of her gamma-related powers in #605, or depowered in general?

Quote Originally Posted by Ceebiro View Post
    Not to hijack this thread, but the mention of Lyra remaining powered by Thundra has be wondering.

Why would Skaar leave the Savage Land when he still has Oldstrong powers? Or did he give those powers up? I mean Caiera was able to go toe-to-toe with the Hulk (albeit diminished in strength) back on Sakaar. Surely Oldstrong powers would have been enough for Skaar to survive there.
    He chose to be coy about whether he retained the Oldstrong powers, although there's really no reason to think a cure for gamma mutation would affect them one way or the other. As for staying in the Savage Land, Doc Green was suggesting he wouldn't possess the physical constitution for it (although honestly some real wimps have stayed there with no problem), and he didn't seem to feel as at home there anyway so didn't protest about being transported to a city with a backpack full of green (as in cash).

BANNED

hey I relised I never got a answer to my bonus question. is she really the daughter of hulk and thunder ? or is she like a clone of thunder with a little hulk dna so she could have her gamma powers ? on dc database it says that... "Thundra of this dimension traveled to Earth-616 in search of its greatest, most powerful hero. She soon came into conflict with Hulk, finding exactly what she needed. After battling for a period of time, there was a halt and Thundra explained the troubles of her world to Hulk, eventually kissing him, secretly sampling DNA from his saliva. Immediately afterwards she was transported back to her universe. The G-Engineers then spliced the Hulk's DNA with her own, and eventually Lyra was born."

that sounds like a clone to me. I was also thinking of adding hulk to my list. that's why i'm ask about lyra.