Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast
    BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Ascended View Post
    Well, it doesnt really matter what BleedingCool says; they dont make the policy, they just report on the news and rumors they hear.

Admittedly, I didnt bother reading those articles. I think I read them back when the marriage ban was put into effect. But they might be different ones, and have official word from DC sources.

Either way, nothing in the books so much as hints that Atlantis has different rules for its King and Queen than the rest of the world. Since we are absolutely lacking in evidence of any kind, the logical conclusion is that their monarchy works the same as it does for everyone else. Meaning that a Queen must be married to the King. Ergo, Arthur and Mera are married until actual evidence says otherwise.

And it wouldn't be hard to work that in. A couple lines of throwaway dialogue could clear it up easily enough. "Hey Aquaman, would your wife like a sandwich too?" "She's not my wife." "I thought she was the Queen?" "Yeah, the rules are different in Atlantis. She's my queen, not my wife." See? Super easy. Since the Aqua-editor hasnt made this happen, its clearly a non-issue for them.

The marriage ban already had exceptions in Buddy Baker and his wife anyway, so we know its no a die-hard edict to begin with.
    This is the official description of aquaman vol 1;

A #1 New York Times Best Seller!

The King of the Seven Seas Aquaman returns to his very own ongoing series for the first time in years at the hands of DC Entertainment Chief Creative Office Geoff Johns, who reteams with GREEN LANTERN collaborator artist Ivan Reis! Between proving himself to a world that sees him as a joke, Aquaman and his bride Mera face off against a long buried terror from the depths of the ocean!
    Not married. Clearly johns idea was they married, but someone cut that. There is not reference to marriage, so it is not canon. probably quaman editor works with didio not marriages policy breathing in his neck.

DC had many marriages iris/barry, lois and clark, jay garrick and his wife, aquaman and mera, barda/scott free, wally/linda.

die-hard edict? yes it is, animal is far away from being a big name, had his book canceled. this is the only exception exception, that not even aquaman and mera escaped;
    Last edited by Blacksun; 01-13-2015 at 02:00 PM.

BANNED

ooops. double post
    Last edited by Blacksun; 01-13-2015 at 02:00 PM. Reason: double post

Quote Originally Posted by Blacksun View Post
    This is the official description of aquaman vol 1;

A #1 New York Times Best Seller!

The King of the Seven Seas Aquaman returns to his very own ongoing series for the first time in years at the hands of DC Entertainment Chief Creative Office Geoff Johns, who reteams with GREEN LANTERN collaborator artist Ivan Reis! Between proving himself to a world that sees him as a joke, Aquaman and his bride Mera face off against a long buried terror from the depths of the ocean!

Not married. Clearly johns idea was they married, but someone cut that. There is not reference to marriage, so it is not canon. probably quaman editor works with didio not marriages policy breathing in his neck.

DC had many marriages iris/barry, lois and clark, jay garrick and his wife, aquaman and mera, barda/scott free, wally/linda.

die-hard edict? yes it is, animal is far away from being a big name, had his book canceled. this is the only exception exception, that not even aquaman and mera escaped;
    I'm confused if the Trade said "his bride" doesn't that means they're married? nobody cut that since no one said they're not married, Parker's run continued to refer to Mera has Aquaman's Queen, as Ascended said there's nothing to support that Atlantis rules are different so how explain aren't they married?
    And if its a die hard edict then it wouldn't matter if Animal Man is a big name, and he's starring in JLU FYI.
    Favorite Characters : Cyborg, Hal Jordan, Simon Baz, Tula, Mera ,Bleez, Shazam, Wonder Woman, Agent 37 , Batman, Kon El, Atomica.

I love Legacy but you have to change things up to keep them from going stale - Jason Fabok

Twitter : @Flashpoint52

Yeah; usually, "bride" refers to a woman right around the time of her wedding — either immediately before or shortly after. But it’s sometimes used as a synonym for "wife". Either way, it’s a term that’s intimately connected to marriage.
    Rogue wears rouge.
    Angel knows all the angles.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Dataweaver View Post
    Yeah; usually, "bride" refers to a woman right around the time of her wedding — either immediately before or shortly after. But it’s sometimes used as a synonym for "wife". Either way, it’s a term that’s intimately connected to marriage.
    well I forgot that bride and fiancee are diferent terms, in my country we use only one term. If they wanted to mean wife, they should have choosed wife. seems like they went for the closer to wife, without being wife

Quote Originally Posted by Sirzechs View Post
    I'm confused if the Trade said "his bride" doesn't that means they're married? nobody cut that since no one said they're not married, Parker's run continued to refer to Mera has Aquaman's Queen, as Ascended said there's nothing to support that Atlantis rules are different so how explain aren't they married?
    And if its a die hard edict then it wouldn't matter if Animal Man is a big name, and he's starring in JLU FYI.
    I'm sure that majority doesn't know animal man still is married, i stopped reading his solo he and his wife were separated. it's a good way to hide marriage. JLu he is one of the team members, i don't think his wife co star in it
    Last edited by Blacksun; 01-13-2015 at 04:52 PM.

Spectacular Member superiorcrisis's Avatar

Well, this thread got off track.

Personaly, I think characters should get married, just so that they evolve.

Anyway, there are a lot of earth's I'd like back and with a title. But my number #1 would be the DCAU. Not the "batman beyond" era, the "justice league unlimited" era. The DCAU has what I consider to be the characters' purest forms. That may be because it was my first experience with a lot of the characters.

well I forgot that bride and fiancee are diferent terms, in my country we use only one term. If they wanted to mean wife, they should have choosed wife. seems like they went for the closer to wife, without being wife
    In my country, “bride” tends to be used more like “newlywed” or “wife”, and almost never like “fiancee”: the only time here in America that someone is a bride but not a wife is when she’s at the wedding ceremony and the presiding official has not yet said “I now pronounce you man and wife”. I’m pretty sure that that’s the sense the folks at DC are familiar with, too. Regardless, it seems an extremely thin thread to hang the argument that they’re not married.
    Last edited by Dataweaver; 01-13-2015 at 08:07 PM.
    Rogue wears rouge.
    Angel knows all the angles.

Extraordinary Member Zero Hunter's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Sirzechs View Post
    And not being Married hasn't affect their relationship at all, so clearly you don't have to have them married for them to have a great relationship.

OT: A Earth 2 continuing from here:

This would be my choice as well. The original JSA has just had it day. Think about it this way. All those who want a classic JSA set back around WW2 we are coming up on it being 75 years since WW2 happened. People have a hard enough time relating to things that happened in the 80's let alone the 40's and 50's. The JSA in this age worked because Johns had such a love for the project and even he started flooding it with more and more legacy characters until it was a bloated mess, and once he left the series really went to hell. Plus not matter what they do people are not going to like it. If the update any characters people are going to yell. If they just do a straight up Roy Thomas like take people are going to ignore it.

A separate universe is probably needed to house all the married superheroes. Maybe even mickey mouse will be married.

Quote Originally Posted by superiorcrisis View Post
    Well, this thread got off track.

Personaly, I think characters should get married, just so that they evolve.

Anyway, there are a lot of earth's I'd like back and with a title. But my number #1 would be the DCAU. Not the "batman beyond" era, the "justice league unlimited" era. The DCAU has what I consider to be the characters' purest forms. That may be because it was my first experience with a lot of the characters.
    I dont think its just you. Timm had a real knack for digging into the most basic, simple concepts and themes of the characters and what they were about and making them shine. I dont think I myself would call most of those versions the "purest" forms, but I can totally see why some would.

And I'd also be fine with some JLU action. I actually watched that show for the first time this past summer with my son. And honestly, I think I liked it more than he did. Though he was blown away by the "For the Man Who Has Everything" episode.

Quote Originally Posted by Dataweaver View Post
    country, “bride” tends to be used more like “newlywed” or “wife”, and almost never like “fiancee”: the only time here in America that someone is a bride but not a wife is when she’s at the wedding ceremony and the presiding official has not yet said “I now pronounce you man and wife”. I’m pretty sure that that’s the sense the folks at DC are familiar with, too. Regardless, it seems an extremely thin thread to hang the argument that they’re not married.
    It is an extremely thin thread for an argument. It's also a pointless argument. Arthur and Mera are in a long term, exclusive, committed relationship. She helps him rule and takes over his duties for him when he's abroad. Arthur, his advisers, his subjects, and the surface dwellers refer to her as the Queen, which is to say, the female ruler of the nation and the King's opposite number.

It doesnt matter if they're "officially" married or not; they're married for all intents and purposes and this is just being tediously argumentative for argument's sake.

Though blacksun not realizing that "bride" and "fiance" are two different terms with different meanings explains a lot.
    "We all know the truth: more connects us than separates us. But in times of crisis the wise build bridges, while the foolish build barriers. We must find a way to look after one another, as if we were one single tribe."

~ Black Panther.

Incredible Member

Quote Originally Posted by Zero Hunter View Post
    This would be my choice as well. The original JSA has just had it day. Think about it this way. All those who want a classic JSA set back around WW2 we are coming up on it being 75 years since WW2 happened. People have a hard enough time relating to things that happened in the 80's let alone the 40's and 50's. The JSA in this age worked because Johns had such a love for the project and even he started flooding it with more and more legacy characters until it was a bloated mess, and once he left the series really went to hell. Plus not matter what they do people are not going to like it. If the update any characters people are going to yell. If they just do a straight up Roy Thomas like take people are going to ignore it.
    Do you seriously think the original JSA have had their day just because they aren't oung (like say the Teen Titans)?? That strikes me as really narrow minded (and besides, hlaf of the JSA have powers which keep them seeming young).

I don't think you can speak for *everyone with the generalisation that "people have a hard enough time relating to things that happened in the 8os" that's simply not true for everyone.

I am reminded of the phrae, those who do not study history are doomed to repeat their mistakes.

It wasn't Johns who over-crowded the JSA anyway, he'd left by the time that got out of hand. A big part of the appel of the JSAS *is* that legacy element though,

Cheers.

James.

He's saying the WW2 bit has got old, its not like the 80s or 90s where vets of WW2 could still be in a somewhat prime age because of some power explanation.

Also Johns was the one that overcrowded the JSA but he somehow made it work, by the time the Gog storyline finish they had enough members to split into two teams.
    Favorite Characters : Cyborg, Hal Jordan, Simon Baz, Tula, Mera ,Bleez, Shazam, Wonder Woman, Agent 37 , Batman, Kon El, Atomica.

I love Legacy but you have to change things up to keep them from going stale - Jason Fabok

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by colonyofcells View Post
    A separate universe is probably needed to house all the married superheroes. Maybe even mickey mouse will be married.
    he is from disney, not gonna happen

Quote Originally Posted by Ascended View Post

It is an extremely thin thread for an argument. It's also a pointless argument. Arthur and Mera are in a long term, exclusive, committed relationship. She helps him rule and takes over his duties for him when he's abroad. Arthur, his advisers, his subjects, and the surface dwellers refer to her as the Queen, which is to say, the female ruler of the nation and the King's opposite number.

It doesnt matter if they're "officially" married or not; they're married for all intents and purposes and this is just being tediously argumentative for argument's sake.

Though blacksun not realizing that "bride" and "fiance" are two different terms with different meanings explains a lot.
    Bride still no wife, no mention to being wife and husband, marriage ban from didio. I don't think there is nothing thin with my argument. For me matters if this is official or not, dc is ashamed to marriage
    Last edited by Blacksun; 01-14-2015 at 07:21 AM.

Bride still no wife, no mention to being wife and husband, marriage ban from didio. I don't think there is nothing thin with my argument. For me matters if this is official or not, dc is ashamed to marriage
    Just stop please, the only time Bride is used is on a wedding date and after, certainly not before.

reply to opening post
    Aside from Earth-2 (Earth-2 should always exist IMO), I would like to see Earth-10 featuring the Blackhawks, Freedom Fighters, and Plastic Man.
    Man of Steel, Batman v. Superman, Justice League.

My favorite film trilogy.