Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Incredible Member Master Planner's Avatar

Default The Gentleman of Crime: The Penguin Appreciation Thread.WAH! WAH WAH!

The old forums had a great thread about one of the most underrated major Bat-Villains,Oswald Chesterfield Cobblepot,better know as the Penguin.

This is an old-time classic article about the greatness and potentials of Penguin.
    http://mindlessones.com/2008/06/09/r...3-the-penguin/

And some pictures to start the tribute.

" I am Loki Scar-Lip, Loki Skywalker, Loki Giant's Child, Loki Lie-Smith. I am Loki, who is fire and wit and hate. I am Loki. And I will be under an obligation to no one."

Previously known as Nefarius

Thought Pain and Prejudice was excellent.

Quote Originally Posted by Batman Fan View Post
    Thought Pain and Prejudice was excellent.
    I enjoyed it too.Although,sometimes i hate grimdark Penguin.But when done well,i can enjoy it.Arkham series gave us a great and dark version of him.
    " I am Loki Scar-Lip, Loki Skywalker, Loki Giant's Child, Loki Lie-Smith. I am Loki, who is fire and wit and hate. I am Loki. And I will be under an obligation to no one."

BB

He is such a charismatic politician.Penguin for Mayor/Presidernt of U.S.A./King of England/Supreme Overlord!!!

Astonishing Member

I gotta chime to say I love Penguin. I love how Anti-Bruce he always was before the era of everything having to be "counter" reflections of the main character. Which is why specifically I love the classic take on Penguin - the venn diagram of "short gentleman in tuxedo" that spirals around the 40s-80s take and has Burgess Meredith smack wak wak dab in the center.

I'm not a fan of monstroso-Penguin. The whole Carnival of the Damned Tim Burton thing is perfectly appropriate for Batman stories and certain Batman villains, but not the "GQ Man of the Criminal Year". This basically is always my Penguin opinion and translates to the Animated, where I dislike immensely the post-Returns original look they had for Oswald and quite love the later "Iceberg Lounge/Proprietor: O. Cobblepot" variation. That said I'm cool with his personality itself being a tad on the monstrous side - I'm quite affectionate for Robin Taylor's youthful rendition on Gotham.

From a Bat-Historian point of view I find Penguin to be used "just enough". Back in the 40s and 50s it was basically every issue featured one Joker story and one Penguin story, or they alternated issue to issue. For a while he was put back in the box from overexposure and he got to have his sort of "big return" in the late 70s/early 80s, same as Joker. He's been in LOADS of New 52 stuff already. But it never feels like too much; he comes across as something of a fixture in Gotham, whether you like the depiction or not.

We don't get very much of it, but I quite like Greg Capullo's take on the Fine Feathery Fink.

[IMG][/IMG]
    Retro315 no more. Anonymity is so 2005.
    retrowarbird.blogspot.com

Batman Returns's Penguin was an interesting villain inside the world of the movie,but it isn't a version i want to see in comics or other media.Although,the combo of Batman Returns look with classic Penguin personality was great in B:TAS,for me at least.Still,i loved the smuggler/crime boss with finesse in the later seasons.

Penguin Triumphant was one of the greatest pre-Iceberg Lounge Penguin.Even Batman admits the genius of Cobblepot.

^^^ Someone should have taken Tim's bottle of Dippity-Do Mega Gel away from him. That hair is atrocious.
    If you are not reading Lazarus, you should be.

Quote Originally Posted by Red_11 View Post
    ^^^ Someone should have taken Tim's bottle of Dippity-Do Mega Gel away from him. That hair is atrocious.
    That hairstyle,along with the mighty mullet were the banes of 90s.

More eldritch than thou Venomous Mask's Avatar

I think he's interesting character in that his evil is layered. First, there's the stereotypical villain interested in getting one over the hero. Then there's Penguin's lust for power and money and the fact that he's able to play the system in a way few career super villains have managed. Finally, there's the not-so disguised psychosis and cruelty that's not as flamboyant as that of the Joker but which contains a raw nastiness and lack of concern for any kind of basic human decency.

Quote Originally Posted by Master Planner View Post
    That hairstyle,along with the mighty mullet were the banes of 90s.
    Mullets are mostly associated with the 80s. I do agree that Robin should have thought that one out more carefully.
    "I should describe my known nature as tripartite, my interests consisting of three parallel and disassociated groups; a) love of the strange and the fantastic, b) love of abstract truth and scientific logic, c) love of the ancient and the permanent. Sundry combinations of these strains will probably account for my...odd tastes, and eccentricities."

Astonishing Member PretenderNX01's Avatar

Penguin mash-up I made
    penguin.jpg

Just for kicks

I haven't watch Gotham.I get Smallville vibes and that's not a good feeling!Still,i heard good words about show's Cobblepot.

Spectacular Member

Shouldn't it be Waaak Waak Waaak?

I wish "The Penguin Affair" would appear in a trade, he is ruthless in that!

Ultimate Member SiegePerilous02's Avatar

I must be one of the few people on here that loves Burton's Penguin. I think the core of the character is still present, that of a misshapen misfit who has delusions of grandeur and just wants to belong. In the film, he actually has a stronger motivation for wanting to be part of high society, as his parents callously threw him out of it. The amount of twisted Biblical imagery associated with him is also wonderfully creepy.

That being said, I would have preferred if his crude behavior had been toned down, and he had the pretentious, psuedo-intellectual gentleman personality from the comics. In that regard, the B:TAS Penguin is the best of both worlds, even if the stories he was featured in were rarely very good.

Crime boss Penguin has always bored me. I just don't like grounded villains like that in Batman comics. Give me over the top bird related crimes any day of the week.

Default The Penguin Appreciation Thread.

One of my fav Bat villains out of the rogues' list. From his silly old sixties version to a slightly dark and threatening version that came later.

And one that IMO hasn't really been explored properly or given that fair of a shake in the new millennium.

I miss the days when he was a more fun character that was more of a criminal adventure then the more kingpin type they seem to want to him to be nowadays.

The type of character that could strike fear in the heart with a loud and boisterous "WAUGH WAUGH WAUGH"