Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Batman Fan View Post
    Thought Pain and Prejudice was excellent.
    I second that thought, Pain and Prejudice was Penguin´s Killer Joke

Lightbulb Etched Message

The eccentric Penguin has been portrayed by the talents Burgess Meredith, Danny DeVito, and Robin Lord Taylor.

Penguin is spooky with his animal-like behaviorisms and strange animal-squeak-like sounds of mischievous malicious raspiness.

Penguin reminds us of the deformity of Gotham City.

Gotham City

Post Afraid of a Penguin?

When you see a tiger, you think of the powerful muscle and ferocity that an animal can possess and you wonder how such traits are exhibited in a human being.

When you see a penguin, you think of the simple elegance of the masses of penguins who move together and live together, waddling in the snow and ducking in the waters and seeming tranquil and even self-sustaining, and you wonder how such traits are exhibited in a human being.

Why then is Oswald Cobblepot, a creepy, menacing, and eerie Gotham City super-villain (and nemesis of the Dark Knight), a criminal who insists on calling himself the Penguin?

We know that Oswald suffers from some personal complications which affects the way he looks and walks, but why does he liken himself to a happy-go-lucky penguin?

Perhaps it is because Oswald Cobblepot (Penguin) imagines that crime is as easy as peace, a disturbing thought that no doubt separates him from the tranquility of simple penguins but perhaps connects him to the undeniable "patience" of a penguin. Evil is patient.

Penguin offers Batman (DC Comics) a behavioral challenge for Gotham City.

Oswald Cobblepot (Gotham - Fox TV)

gotham.jpg

Arrow Maniac Monday

The Penguin reminds us of something eerie about the nature of criminality --- its undeniable presence.

Think about it: Oswald waddles around like a penguin but makes those creepy gestures and carries that criminal sneer on his face and simply invites you to ponder that strange reality of the human desire to commit crimes.

You watch bizarre horror films featuring strange maniac avatars such as Leatherface (a horrific cannibal who wears a mask made of human skin and chases young women around with a chainsaw) and you wonder how the creepy Penguin (DC Comics) represents a 'vision of morbid imagination.'

As you begin the work week on a Monday morning, you wonder what the Penguin is planning...

A Modest Proposal

Incredible Member Master Planner's Avatar

" I am Loki Scar-Lip, Loki Skywalker, Loki Giant's Child, Loki Lie-Smith. I am Loki, who is fire and wit and hate. I am Loki. And I will be under an obligation to no one."

Previously known as Nefarius

A 'Man' of Malice

Just as the Joker illuminates the general gloom of Gotham City which motivates the Dark Knight to spread consciousness about civil diligence, the eerie Penguin illuminates the general strangeness of Gotham City which motivates the Dark Knight to spread consciousness about bureaucratic labor.

Imagine that Poison Ivy, Gotham City's most mischievous eco-terrorist, decides to poison the city's water reservoir. Only the Penguin would come to her aid to create extra 'derangement.'

penguin.jpg

Not a Newbie Member JBatmanFan05's Avatar

DC really needs more Penguin story collections. The first telling of his origin is only in a little digest. Many classic old stories remain uncollected.
    Things I love: Batman, Superman, AEW, old films, Lovecraft

Grant Morrison: “Adults...struggle desperately with fiction, demanding constantly that it conform to the rules of everyday life. Adults foolishly demand to know how Superman can possibly fly, or how Batman can possibly run a multibillion-dollar business empire during the day and fight crime at night, when the answer is obvious even to the smallest child: because it's not real.”

Exclamation The Anagogic Bat-villain

Penguin is an eerie and very interesting Bat-villain, since he represents some of those pesky, spooky, and 'colorful' features of a brooding Gotham City seething with delusions of grandeur.

Of course, the Penguin does it with a great sense of...'bubbly style.'

penguin.jpg

Put a smile on that face Immortal Weapon's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Master Planner View Post
    I haven't watch Gotham.I get Smallville vibes and that's not a good feeling!Still,i heard good words about show's Cobblepot.
    Gotham has a good Cobblepot though there are a few things that bother me about him. Like he's quick to kill someone over the most pity of things (killed a fisherman for a sandwich) and calling him Penguin is practical a death sentence unless you are someone of influence. Though I like his relationship with Gordon on the show.

Incredible Member Master Planner's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Immortal Weapon View Post
    Gotham has a good Cobblepot though there are a few things that bother me about him. Like he's quick to kill someone over the most pity of things (killed a fisherman for a sandwich) and calling him Penguin is practical a death sentence unless you are someone of influence. Though I like his relationship with Gordon on the show.
    Even in comics,many writers wrote Penguin as someone who didn't like his street nickname.Thugs avoided to call him Penguin in his face and when they faced him,they called him "Mr Cobblepot".That characterisation was used in Arkham City too.When the boss was absent,they called him Penguin but when they were talking to him(in radio or iin face-to-face) they called him Mr Cobblepot.
    " I am Loki Scar-Lip, Loki Skywalker, Loki Giant's Child, Loki Lie-Smith. I am Loki, who is fire and wit and hate. I am Loki. And I will be under an obligation to no one."

Previously known as Nefarius

from Batman Villains Secret Files and Origins (2005)

Extraordinary Member Restingvoice's Avatar

Question for penguin fans
    Flipper hands or no flipper hands?

Quote Originally Posted by Restingvoice View Post
    I prefer his hands to be more towards the normal, non-flipper end. He's not a mutant or anything; he's not swimming in every adventure he's in.

https://www.dccomics.com/graphic-nov...arkham-penguin

Fans of the Penguin may want to check this out.
    Last edited by Nero; 09-19-2018 at 11:26 PM.

Mighty Member

Quote Originally Posted by Restingvoice View Post
    I prefer the classic "gentleman of crime" over the take Batman Returns originated

You gotta love the Burgess look