Super Moderator

Default REVIEW: Starlight, #3

"Starlight" #3 has Duke McQueen finally return to Tantalus, and Mark Millar and Goran Parlov's story of a earthling space hero coming back 20 years later continues to delight thanks to its exuberance.

Full review here.

I thought this issue was just stunning. Incredible art from parlov, the landscapes and scenery were breathtaking. I thought this was the best issue so far in this series and that's high praise because the first two issues were nothing short of amazing. What an incredible series, such a bummer that it's only a 6 issue mini. I would love this to be on my pull list forever. Image really has a winner here on their hands. Hopefully they have plans to do something with this series in the future. This series is just way too good to end as a mini, maybe get a new writer once series is over?

Extraordinary Member thwhtGuardian's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Groo Odyssey View Post
    I thought this issue was just stunning. Incredible art from parlov, the landscapes and scenery were breathtaking. I thought this was the best issue so far in this series and that's high praise because the first two issues were nothing short of amazing. What an incredible series, such a bummer that it's only a 6 issue mini. I would love this to be on my pull list forever. Image really has a winner here on their hands. Hopefully they have plans to do something with this series in the future. This series is just way too good to end as a mini, maybe get a new writer once series is over?
    I'd certainly love this to be ongoing, though I think it lends itself to a finite narrative as well. And while I agree that the art was amazing here, I loved that city scape and the design of the palace I felt that the way the lazer guns seemed to cut people in half seemed out of place tonally. It wasn't crazy graphic or anything like that but it just seemed jarring to me.

All-New Member

Where did you see/read that Starlight is only 6 issues? I was under the impression it is an ongoing title. Or maybe I was just hoping it's an ongoing title!

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Kal El View Post
    Where did you see/read that Starlight is only 6 issues? I was under the impression it is an ongoing title. Or maybe I was just hoping it's an ongoing title!
    Mark Millar himself said that it was going to be only 6 issues. I think it was his reddit ama or something. But I am 100% postive it is only 6 issues. He said he has a lot of work as Fox consultant.

All-New Member

Thanks for the info, Avenger. Although I'm sorry to hear it's only six issues. It's been my favorite each month since it started!

Quote Originally Posted by Kal El View Post
    Thanks for the info, Avenger. Although I'm sorry to hear it's only six issues. It's been my favorite each month since it started!
    Me too, I had no idea I would enjoy it this much. Didn't even pick it up at first but read the reviews and so glad I did now. This series needs to go on, so much story and world building can be had with Starlight. We'll need a new writer after millar once the mini is over though, he's too unreliable.

CBR got me like.. Maxpower00044's Avatar

Aww man, I didn't realize this was just a mini (and now I'm wondering how I couldn't have. I mean how long can you stretch this story?). This book is fantastic. Love the art, narrative, and Duke is just plain ole bad ass.
    "The more 'realistic' superheroes become the less believable they are." - David Mazzucchelli

FANTASTIC issue!!

It's a miniseries?!? Boo-urns!

10 posts and nobody mentioned the easter eggs?!

Nobody spotted the battlestar galactica space ships or the slave-1 references?

How about the Iron Giant & Bender references!! C'mon people!

Goran Parlov's art is sublime. I don't care who picks up writing duties after Millar, so long as Parlov continues. They can make the series a prequel about Duke's exploits before the current story, I wouldn't complain.