Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Default Which New52 Title Fell in Quality the Quickest?

OK, I'm not a basher of the Nu...a few books were cancelled that I really liked and I'm still following a few, too.

But I was thinking today about how good some of them started and how quickly they fell. For me, Earth 2 was a VERY high quality book for the first 26 issues or so, and the spark is just no longer there after Robinson and Taylor left. It's stunning how different I feel about it now.

Of course, Batwoman has to take the crown here. Enjoyed the first 25 issues a lot, and even liked the Wolf Spider stuff. But after that, argh. The breakup with Maggie, the Nocturna junk, Unknowns (in space!). Stunning.

Anyone else?

Well, while I certainly haven`t followed too many of New 52 I certainly saw some decent titles suddenly falling in quality and suddenly noticing I did not enjoy them as much anymore.

While I haven`t read titles like Batwoman and Earth-2. I noticed that Flash fell in decline rather quickly after the first few graphic novels and it became just not that entertaining or good to be honest. Secondly I would have to mention Green Arrow by Jeff Lemire, the quality was extremely good for the first few issues but then the quality began to decline and it just became very average when compared to Jeff Lemires usual quality.

But of course then there were titles that were a trainwreck to begin with aka Teen Titans (Lobdell) and Red Hood and the Outlaws

Incredible Member PennyDreadful's Avatar

Demon Knights. First issue was a hoot. The rest was a crashing bore.

Definitely Earth 2. It was one of DC's best books, now it's horrible.

Mighty Member

Earth 2 declined a bit in quality when Robinson left and then dropped like a rock when Taylor left. It's probably been the worst quality change between writers of any book in the new 52 so far.

Green Lantern took a nosedive when Johns left but that feels like it's been climbing back up at least.

Quote Originally Posted by vartox View Post
    Earth 2 declined a bit in quality when Robinson left and then dropped like a rock when Taylor left. It's probably been the worst quality change between writers of any book in the new 52 so far.

Green Lantern took a nosedive when Johns left but that feels like it's been climbing back up at least.

I'm close to you on Earth 2, but honestly think that Taylor's run might have even been a bit stronger than Robinson's.

And yes, Green Lantern should be included, too. Maybe not 'quite' as drastic a drop, but I just couldn't stand Venditti's characterization of Hal and left fairly early in his run.

BANNED

*sighs* The E2 hate continues.

For me it's Birds of Prey, Justice League Dark, Stormwatch & Future's End.

Mighty Member

Quote Originally Posted by electr1cgoblin View Post
    I'm close to you on Earth 2, but honestly think that Taylor's run might have even been a bit stronger than Robinson's.

And yes, Green Lantern should be included, too. Maybe not 'quite' as drastic a drop, but I just couldn't stand Venditti's characterization of Hal and left fairly early in his run.
    I didn't care much for Taylor's run, I didn't like many of his cast additions and it felt more like a widescreen popcorn flick than the slow burn world building Robinson was doing. But yeah Taylor and Robinson's runs felt closer in quality, Wilson/Bennett/Johnson is just straight up bad.

I did the same for Green Lantern, gave it a couple issues and dropped it. I only picked it back up recently and it's gotten a little better.

Quote Originally Posted by Ninjak View Post
    *sighs* The E2 hate continues.

For me it's Birds of Prey, Justice League Dark, Stormwatch & Future's End.
    I followed JLD for a while. What did you think was the 'good' period and what's the 'bad'?

BANNED

green arrow started bad, but it got worse with nocenti.

earth 2 after robinson and first issues of taylor

demon knights after cornell walked away

jh williams left, and andreyko took Batwoman ( it is recently but book is really bad)

oh birds of prey started very well, but some weird things happened

Quote Originally Posted by vartox View Post
    I didn't care much for Taylor's run, I didn't like many of his cast additions and it felt more like a widescreen popcorn flick than the slow burn world building Robinson was doing. But yeah Taylor and Robinson's runs felt closer in quality, Wilson/Bennett/Johnson is just straight up bad.

I did the same for Green Lantern, gave it a couple issues and dropped it. I only picked it back up recently and it's gotten a little better.
    Think that's why I loved Taylor's run he took a bad situation from editorial mandate a made it enjoyable.

Agreed on Green Lantern as well, Godhead was good but I still didn't enjoy the GL main title issues, but the rest of the lantern books are solid.
    Favorite Characters : Cyborg, Hal Jordan, Simon Baz, Tula, Mera ,Bleez, Shazam, Wonder Woman, Agent 37 , Batman, Kon El, Atomica.

I love Legacy but you have to change things up to keep them from going stale - Jason Fabok

Twitter : @Flashpoint52

007 girl.

For me it was All Star Western...it's readable but I'm not enjoying it as I did the older series from the 70s.
    Kings 21:23
    And of Jezebel also spake the LORD, saying, The dogs shall eat Jezebel by the wall of Jezreel.

I was enjoying Winick and March on Catwoman.

Then Ann came in, and it was WTF

Quote Originally Posted by electr1cgoblin View Post

Taylor's run was crafted better, its just that it focused on different elements and characters than many E-2 fans are interested in. There is a reason why when people talk about Robison's run they only mention world building and his love for characters - execution was at best mediocre and at times pretty awful.

Mighty Member

Quote Originally Posted by HsssH View Post
    Taylor's run was crafted better, its just that it focused on different elements and characters than many E-2 fans are interested in. There is a reason why when people talk about Robison's run they only mention world building and his love for characters - execution was at best mediocre and at times pretty awful.
    I thought Robinson had better pacing and plotting, too. Taylor's run was ten issues and a lot of it felt like one arc stretched with a lot of filler.