Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Astonishing Member

Default Aquaman # 38 "Maelstrom" Discussion/Spoilers

He arrived.

Obviously Atlanna's appearance has been spoiled several months in advance but I'll say I didn't expect their first encounter to be on dry land.

Grodd's dispatch to the Super-Labyrinth was an interesting note. Grodd's a total dick and I'm glad to see him stranded in some horrible place but I am curious for future Flash or JLA appearances what it'll mean for him to have to escape "The" Super-Labyrinth of the Olympian Gods. Obviously secret and arcane knowledge probably lies somewhere in that endless maze.

So we didn't get Fire-Trolls, at least not exactly. A new take on a similar idea, perhaps, but not strictly the classic Nick Cardy versions. But it was still solid adventuring as Aquaman and Mera partnered up and kicked ass, with some really gorgeous images from Pelletier and some beautiful colors from Rain Beredo, some good pulpy and almost hard sci-fi from Parker. Shin and Dan were checked in with so we don't lose track.

If you only read one of the handful of historical "Aquaman's Mom Is Still Alive?!" stories of the past 40 years, make it this one.
    Retro315 no more. Anonymity is so 2005.
    retrowarbird.blogspot.com

Awesome arc

Can't wait to read the next issue. I wonder if Atlanna would recognize her son - or would he have to convince her? (Even if she realizes it's him, would she fight him? She doesn't really seem all that supportive of Atlantis and its rulers).
    DC Extended Universe Thread (DCEU)

That's how it starts. The fever. The rage. The feeling of powerlessness. That turns good men....Cruel - Alfred.

This may be the only thing that I do that matters - Bruce.

Stay down, if I wanted it, you would be dead already - Clark.

Quote Originally Posted by K. Jones View Post
    Grodd's dispatch to the Super-Labyrinth was an interesting note. Grodd's a total dick and I'm glad to see him stranded in some horrible place but I am curious for future Flash or JLA appearances what it'll mean for him to have to escape "The" Super-Labyrinth of the Olympian Gods. Obviously secret and arcane knowledge probably lies somewhere in that endless maze.
    Hercules is there too, right? Who know what else might be there, maybe they'll ally with each other and make a break out! I think crossover with Wonder Woman would be cool for such story.

Astonishing Member

It was interesting, is the place where Atlanna ended up suppose to be Skartaris?

I don't know. I'm curious to find out.

Parker started out a bit so so, but has really gotten better and better as he's found his groove
    "A gentleman will not insult me, and no man not a gentleman can insult me."-Frederick Douglass

Fantastic Member

It was great and has been for a while now. I'm surprised at how good Aquaman has been since Johns left. He had a really solid introductory run on the title, but now Jeff Parker has been killing it for the past few months to the point where I don't even really miss Johns.
    "If I come back from the dead one more time I'll be seriously in danger of turning into some kind of walking cliche." - Jean Grey, Uncanny X-Men #284

Fantastic Member

But let's talk about how Mera trolled the hell out of Grodd.

I think it's a good run, but i would have liked Johns finishing his run completely. I can't wait for Rise of the Seven Seas, and i'd have loved to see him develop the Aquaman mythos deeply.

I was thinking about it, and we still dont know who Tula's mom is, for example. She's younger than Orm, but their dad was married to Atlanna before Orm was born. Also there are 4 more "seas" to show up yet (we have Atlantis, The trench and Xebel). I wonder if the Maelstrom world is one of those.
    - We were the BEST, Richard. No matter what anyone thinks. - Damian Wayne.

Green Lantern Spanish Fan Site HERE

Astonishing Member

Probably not. The other four are probably meant to have their own rulers like how Mera (and her family), Atlan and Orm/Orin/Atlanna are rulers of their respective peoples. We do know from the statues that one of them is the Fisherman.

Boing Boing Baggies. Baggie_Saiyan's Avatar

How cruel can Arthur be handing the fish over like that lol but in all seriousness this was awesome, comic vine summed up perfectly this arc is like and adventure! Also, I really like the design of Atlanna.
    "Yes...Mondo Cool"- Vegeta.

Quote Originally Posted by Baggie_Saiyan View Post
    How cruel can Arthur be handing the fish over like that lol but in all seriousness this was awesome, comic vine summed up perfectly this arc is like and adventure! Also, I really like the design of Atlanna.
    I thought about that..but remembered what he said in the first arc . He doesn't talk to fish (which is why he doesn't have a problem eating them). He just commands them (and we are assuming that fish don't have an independent mind of their own, at least not in the way we define mind).
    DC Extended Universe Thread (DCEU)

That's how it starts. The fever. The rage. The feeling of powerlessness. That turns good men....Cruel - Alfred.

This may be the only thing that I do that matters - Bruce.

Stay down, if I wanted it, you would be dead already - Clark.

BANNED

I love the way Parker writes the dynamic between Mera and Arthur. Pelletier's faces sell it too

Boing Boing Baggies. Baggie_Saiyan's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Jeevanjacobjohn View Post
    I thought about that..but remembered what he said in the first arc . He doesn't talk to fish (which is why he doesn't have a problem eating them). He just commands them (and we are assuming that fish don't have an independent mind of their own, at least not in the way we define mind).
    Oh haha!! that was brilliant when he walked in and ordered fish and chips xD. Yeah I read somewhere that Fish forget things almost instantly.
    "Yes...Mondo Cool"- Vegeta.

Fantastic Member

Quote Originally Posted by Jeevanjacobjohn View Post
    Not to mention it makes perfect sense that he has no problem helping out regular fisherman who are just trying to get food and not rampantly destroying sea life.