Page 1 of 8 12345 ... LastLast
    Always Rakzo

Default Avengers Undercover #4 Spoilers

Spoilers ahead!

spoilers:
    After muderdering Arcade in last issue the kids try to escape the whole place.

However, they're caught by SHIELD and get imprisoned

They're visited by their families and friends there

Baron Zemo kidnaps them and tries to convince them to join him
    end of spoilers

Astonishing Member

Totally forgot about this issue.

I know sales haven't been too strong out the gate, but I'm hoping Hopeless gets at least 18 issues to tell this story. Although, I am starting to feel like there's a lot to mine here.

There's Aiden's growing concern for Hazmat. There's Nico's temptation by Hellstrom. There's Cullen's acceptance that being a villain isn't so bad, Rebecca's lingering naivete and of course, there's Cammi. This issue is fairly Cammi-centric compared to the other issues as she takes charge after Arcade's murder, and once again when Zemo invites them to join his operation. I love that the little runt's developed such a strong survival instinct and a seemingly solid moral center. I'd say Hopeless has definitely taken a liking to her. As an aside, I felt kind of sorry for Rebecca not having anyone to visit her.

Readers be warned, this series continues to be character-centric. So if you're looking for a story that speeds by at 250mph, this isn't the book for you. It moves forward at a casual pace and every issue has a major plot development. Things happen, just not a lot of things.

Kev Walker is back, and the book regains some of the character it lost in issue 3. Everyone looks wonderfully ugly and expressive. Huge plus. I hope Marvel doesn't go overboard with double-shipping as I would rather get less issues if it meant more Kev Walker art.

Hell, after all this I'd join the Masters of Evil. I get that SHIELD has to arrest them for the crime of murdering Arcade, but it just feels cruel that Arcade can get away with what he did but these kids can't get revenge. Can't wait for next issue to see who's breaking bad.

Side notes: Kev Walker is back and is great, Cammi works as a great leader, and I think that Hopeless is building a relationship between Anachronism and Hazmat.

BANNED

Hazmat with the Hopeless self insert? Vomit.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by crimsonspider89 View Post
    I really hopes that it turns out that Aiden is just concerned about her as a friend and that he will finally admit his true feelings for Cullen.

what do you have against anachronism? i think it's a pretty natural progression from arena!

this issue was very good. cammi had a nice scene with her mother, and the cameos from the runaways was a cute touch.

That last pannel was hillariously unsubtle, although I may have developed a snark reaction to Nazi-like imagery due to Brows Held High review of "Richard III"
    “I am vulnerable. Starved for kindness, and when I receive it, I lose my mind.”
    — Marjorie Liu, Tiger Eye

“When you need to stop an asteroid, you get Superman. When you need to solve a mystery, you call Batman. But when you need to end a war, you get Wonder Woman.”
    — Gail Simone

MY CHANNEL: https://www.youtube.com/user/Cheshire1501

BANNED

SHIELD responded more quickly to Arcade's death than to Stamford.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by gregyo View Post
    SHIELD responded more quickly to Arcade's death than to Stamford.
    Hence, the kids wondering if they were set up.

BANNED

Anachronism is Hopeless's self insert.

That is why.

That is why.
    How? In what way is Aiden a self insert for Dennis Hopeless?

I mean Alex Summers is blatantly a self insert for Remender what with him being used as a mouthpiece. But if anything Apex and Cammi have been the biggest mouthpieces in Arena and Undercover.

Ultimate Member

Yeah, SHIELD were a bunch of a-holes. "Hey, this guy kidnapped you and forced into a death match for his own sick amusement, and we did nothing to try and catch him. But now you're all under arrest for doing what we couldn't (or wouldn't) do." If I were in their place, I'd seriously consider Zemo's offer after this.

BANNED

That is why.
    I thought you weren't going to read Undercover?

Quote Originally Posted by Punisher007 View Post
    Yeah, SHIELD were a bunch of a-holes. "Hey, this guy kidnapped you and forced into a death match for his own sick amusement, and we did nothing to try and catch him. But now you're all under arrest for doing what we couldn't (or wouldn't) do." If I were in their place, I'd seriously consider Zemo's offer after this.
    Seriously, Shield is doing Zemo's work for him. Making the pitch that much easier to sell.

Astonishing Member

except it was specifically stated that arcade was basically hole up in bagalia BECAUSE shield and the avengers were hunting him everywhere else. then his survivng victims just happen to get through whatever protection Zemo had been offering, dis-empower him, beat him bloody and (in the eyes of anyone lacking the full context*) execute him in cold blood. had it been during a fight that would be one thing; but killing him in the aftermath is certainly more damning that say cyclop's charges.

as the nice man in the skull t-shirt will tell you, there is a difference between punishment/justice and revenge. and in going for the latter they've played right into zemo's hands

that said, i think their all going to join zemofor real by the end. this is the anti-thunderbolts.

*and who wants to bet it'll turn out theres been a bit of creativity (just enough to muddy the context) in what was reaching Circe's monitors?