Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Unadjusted Human on CBR SUPERECWFAN1's Avatar

Default Life Lessons with the Bundy's .

A few weeks ago I was trying to find something to watch on netflix as usual. So I always enjoy documentaries on subjects I enjoy like TV , Movies , sports etc etc. So I found one discussing Sitcom Families as part of a bigger documentary about TV. Of course whenever you think of sitcom families you usually go from the Flintstones to TV's latest family , The Goldbergs. Well the documentary basically cut off in 2012 so it wouldn't feature them but you get the hint.

The documentary covered a lot of sitcom families from what I remember.

Father Knows Best
    Leave it to Beaver
    Brady Bunch
    Cosby Show
    Everybody Loves Raymond

Anyhow you get the gist of it...so many people would discuss each show and the impact they would have on future shows.

Then it got to the 1980's and it completely seemed to **** up and started crediting one show beyond one that inspired the recent shows where everything isn't perfect. You see folks , this Isn't to hate Bill Cosby. The guy had a great TV sitcom family with the Cosby Show and it ruled the 1980's. It deserves the praise it receives for that.

But the documentary started claiming that Cosby Show represented almost every family and that things weren't perfect. That the show inspired Everybody Loves Raymond and family shows where the parents weren't like Father Knows Best and all. To see the experts proclaiming this was weird. But the show they seemed hell bent on skipping was this one....

It was just bizarre because as anyone would tell you , at times people claimed their families took more after the Bundy's than the Cosby's. And its clear shows like Everybody Loves Raymond , Roseanne , and others seemed to take some of what the Bundy's did as family who loved each other , but rarely would say it . Yes shows above would have the characters love each other. That much is true.

Yet to watch a TV documentary IGNORE the Bundy's as a whole and TV sitcom was just fucking bizarre. And to give them no credit for anything was beyond silly. It really hurt the documentary. But I get the feeling this was TV critics as usual who had a long history of hating Married ...with Children. The show was billed as the anti-Cosby's more or less and critics HATED THIS. The show wasn't expected to last but it did.

So to the TV critics....you ignored Al Bundy.... one of the best TV Dads ever...

"The story so far: As usual, Ginger and I are engaged in our quest to find out what the hell is going on and save humanity from my nemesis, some bastard who is presumably responsible." - Sir Digby Chicken Caesar.
    “ Well hell just froze over. Because CM Punk is back in the WWE.” - Jcogginsa.
    “You can take the boy outta the mom’s basement, but you can’t take the mom’s basement outta the boy!” - LA Knight.
    "Revel in What You Are." Bray Wyatt.

I wanna be your lover... emac1790's Avatar

I learned all my life lessons from Al Bundy.

IMO, Married...With Children aged better than all of those you listed.
    What U putting in your nose?
    Is that where all your money goes (Is that where your money goes)
    The river of addiction flows
    U think it's hot, but there won't be no water
    When the fire blows

First they came for the mutants, and I said nothing. Then they came for the chickens, and still I said nothing... -cyberhubbs

Incredible Member

I always considered Married with Children to be this twisted version of the American dream (married, 2 kids, dog, and a house in the suburbs). Al has all of this yet he's miserable.

BANNED

Loved Al 's life lesson on revenge..

I love Married with Children and I love the woman in Cali that made it possible. During Season one the ratings were low and Fox was not going to renew it. Then this lady in Cali went on this huge crusade to have it cancelled. Made a huge fuss in the papers and press. A lot of people tuned in to see what she was talking about and the reruns Fox was showing (Because early Fox didnt have anything else) had great ratings. Enough that Fox decided to renew it for a second season. So if this lady had just shut her mouth the show would have gone away. But she had to make a huge fuss over it and got it renewed. I remember an interview that Ed O Neil did years ago where he said he sent the lady a thank you card.
    This Post Contains No Artificial Intelligence. It Contains No Human Intelligence Either.

Extraordinary Member

Married With Children spoke to a lot of people and I realize why it was so popular, but I just can't watch the reruns.

Al was my favorite character on the show and I always rooted for him. I hated Peg and Marcy yet the show was written that Al was always the loser.

Again, I understand that this was the premise of the show and people loved it, but I just don't enjoy seeing him almost always lose.

Spectacular Member

[QUOTE

Father Knows Best - Crap
    Leave it to Beaver - Crap
    Brady Bunch - Super Crap
    Cosby Show - Crap
    Everybody Loves Raymond - Very Good Show

So to the TV critics....you ignored Al Bundy.... the greatest TV Dad ever...

[/QUOTE]

Al Bundy is my hero. He scored 4 touchdowns in one game. I'm sure none of those crap dads in those other shows did that.

Al Bundy is my hero. He scored 4 touchdowns in one game. I'm sure none of those crap dads in those other shows did that.[/QUOTE]

Did this Happen? He never talked about it on the show so I wasnt sure.
    This Post Contains No Artificial Intelligence. It Contains No Human Intelligence Either.

Spectacular Member

Eat that Cliff Huxtable.
    Last edited by mburns; 09-14-2020 at 01:59 PM.

Incredible Member

I loved the show it really hit it's stride around 1990-93, especially fun were the episodes centered around Bud those were always great.

Al is King. You just loved the few episodes where the guy would get a victory, lol. But you couldn't give him too many because its being a general loser that made him great.

555-SHOE is one of the greatest moments in the series, btw.
    Last edited by Sacred Knight; 09-15-2020 at 04:55 PM.
    "They can be a great people Kal-El, they wish to be. They only lack the light to show the way. For this reason above all, their capacity for good, I have sent them you. My only son." - Jor-El

Fantastic Member mikelmcknight72's Avatar

I think a lot of the show’s critics never understood that it was largely satire. I generally don’t enjoy sitcoms, but Married with Children still gets a thumbs-up from me.

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by Sacred Knight View Post
    Al is King. You just loved the few episodes where the guy would get a victory, lol. But you couldn't give him too many because its being a general loser that made him great.

555-SHOE is one of the greatest moments in the series, btw.
    That episode and the aliens episode kills me every time.

Quote Originally Posted by mikelmcknight72 View Post
    I think a lot of the show’s critics never understood that it was largely satire. I generally don’t enjoy sitcoms, but Married with Children still gets a thumbs-up from me.
    I think a lot of the fans didn't see it as a satire - to them, he just represented their latent hostility at the world for their lives being crap. To each their own...

I was a child and I got that it was satire. It was clearly satire. I don't know how anyone could have missed it...