Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Joker View Post
    I was a child and I got that it was satire. It was clearly satire. I don't know how anyone could have missed it...
    I would venture to say that since you were a child, you didn't identify with the anger that comes from being a middle-aged man whose best years are behind him in a society where he was becoming devalued, leaving him with a crap job and a family who just picks apart what's left of the rotting corpse of what was once a man.

Culturally speaking, I do agree that it should have been included in the documentary for what it represented.
    Last edited by j9ac9k; 09-16-2020 at 09:39 AM.

MXAAGVNIEETRO IS RIGHT MyriVerse's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by mburns View Post
    Al Bundy is my hero. He scored 4 touchdowns in one game. I'm sure none of those crap dads in those other shows did that.
    Luckily, being a good dad has nothing whatsoever to do with football.
    f/k/a The Black Guardian
    COEXIST | NOEXIST
    ShadowcatMagikДаякѕтая Sto☈mDustMercury MonetRachelSage
    MagnetoNightcrawlerColossusRockslideBeastXavier

Quote Originally Posted by Will Evans View Post
    That episode and the aliens episode kills me every time.
    How about the one where they live in the Supermarket?

Or the one where Al buys a gold mine that turns out to be fake. Remember the line from the old man.

"Dodge is a Damn fine car. Ran over my wife with a Dodge." Try and get away with that now.
    This Post Contains No Artificial Intelligence. It Contains No Human Intelligence Either.

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by babyblob View Post
    How about the one where they live in the Supermarket?

Or the one where Al buys a gold mine that turns out to be fake. Remember the line from the old man.

"Dodge is a Damn fine car. Ran over my wife with a Dodge." Try and get away with that now.
    Yeah, those were the episodes that made me like Jefferson, and convinced me he could work in the show’s dynamic.

My sister and I recently watched some of the Kelly focused episodes like the candidate mayor’s girlfriend, the music video, the weather bunny and the car show and we both agreed no matter how funny they are there’s just no way they could do those episodes today in even the slightest. Not even streaming services. Public outcry and metoo movement won’t let exploiting a teen girl like that ever. But man, were those episodes funny.
    Last edited by Will Evans; 09-16-2020 at 05:14 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Will Evans View Post
    Yeah, those were the episodes that made me like Jefferson, and convinced me he could work in the show’s dynamic.

My sister and I recently watched some of the Kelly focused episodes like the candidate mayor’s girlfriend, the music video, the weather bunny and the car show and we both agreed no matter how funny they are there’s just no way they could do those episodes today in even the slightest. Not even streaming services. Public outcry and metoo movement won’t let exploiting a teen girl like that ever. But man, were those episodes funny.
    Agreed. How many scenes were in the nudie bar. Or where Al was openly reading Big Un's?
    This Post Contains No Artificial Intelligence. It Contains No Human Intelligence Either.

The Aliens stealing Al's socks, and the episode where he gets the Ferguson toilet were two of my favorites. Oh yeah, this show would have all kinds of "ladies from Indiana" writing in and complaining about the show were it on these days.

Unadjusted Human on CBR SUPERECWFAN1's Avatar

The shows 1st and 2nd seasons likely wasn't satire. If you watch a lot of the show was more or less Al worked a low wage job , raising 2 kids and a typical wife who did little cooking but wanted her husband to pretty much please her. But the show from creators seemed to be more grounded in reality then.

Its just that as the series went on and the kids got way older , the people behind the series found it harder to do reality based sitcom. Its why we had aliens appear stealing Al's socks. Or him buying a goldmine or him meeting famous football players etc. I mean they did try to keep things around some form of reality as we saw. The kids were older and they tried to restore the young kid dynamic to a family sitcom...twice.

- The Dream Season : The entire season #6 was a dream if we remember ala Dallas. But that wasn't the original plan. The idea was with Katey Sagal pregnant the producers decided the Bundy's would have another kid. Marcy as well would have a kid too. The idea was that with Kelly and Bud being older we saw the natural jealousy deal play out and all. This became a dream due to Sagal suffering a miscarriage and the producers deciding it would be too cruel to have her do this on the show. (had Sagal not had this happen , its likely the kid would have went from baby to 4-5 years old the next season to do plots around this like most TV kids are aged up)

- Seven Bundy : The producers took one last attempt at adding a young cast member because they wanted to restore a young kid to family sitcom. Instead it backfired as the fans did not accept Seven. He disappeared halfway into the 7th season and was seen on a milk cart as a joke.

This was the last time the show tried this.
    "The story so far: As usual, Ginger and I are engaged in our quest to find out what the hell is going on and save humanity from my nemesis, some bastard who is presumably responsible." - Sir Digby Chicken Caesar.
    “ Well hell just froze over. Because CM Punk is back in the WWE.” - Jcogginsa.
    “You can take the boy outta the mom’s basement, but you can’t take the mom’s basement outta the boy!” - LA Knight.
    "Revel in What You Are." Bray Wyatt.

Seven Bundy, the "Cousin Oliver" of Married With Children. Believe he was mentioned once and "seen" twice after his final physical appearance - When he "moved in" with the Darcy's. Marcy says something about him coming over like a month ago and refusing to leave. Then his picture on the milk carton, followed by the episode where Kelly goes on the Sports trivia show, and he is one the thoughts she forgets, when she learns something new.

I always appreciated how they thought of Katey Sagal first and foremost in regards to the baby storyline. I mean, its not like there was a ton of risk making that season a dream, considering the show by then was not at all adverse to odd content, but it still essentially erased a season's canon, which is a big deal. But that they recognized how messed it up would be for her especially considering the miscarriage was quite late in the pregnancy, that was a good thing. And they managed to keep the coolest thing from that season anyway: Bud's usage of personas, starting with Grandmaster B. They just had Al mention it to the kids as part of his dream and Bud thought it was cool and would use it for real later on, haha.
    "They can be a great people Kal-El, they wish to be. They only lack the light to show the way. For this reason above all, their capacity for good, I have sent them you. My only son." - Jor-El

MXAAGVNIEETRO IS RIGHT MyriVerse's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by j9ac9k View Post
    I would venture to say that since you were a child, you didn't identify with the anger that comes from being a middle-aged man whose best years are behind him in a society where he was becoming devalued, leaving him with a crap job and a family who just picks apart what's left of the rotting corpse of what was once a man.
    This really wasn't what Al Bundy was. He never really had a best years. He was a man who never even tried to meet his potential.
    f/k/a The Black Guardian
    COEXIST | NOEXIST
    ShadowcatMagikДаякѕтая Sto☈mDustMercury MonetRachelSage
    MagnetoNightcrawlerColossusRockslideBeastXavier

Quote Originally Posted by MyriVerse View Post
    This really wasn't what Al Bundy was. He never really had a best years. He was a man who never even tried to meet his potential.
    That may be true, but I don't think that's how he saw himself.(in his denial)

Not sure how relevant it is to this thread, but think about a show like Cosby with the "prefect" family vs. the Bundy's and then look at this:

It's one of my favorite clips in YouTube of Ed O'Neal dropping by Applegate's other tv show. She has said he was like a dad to her, even fighting producers when they kept trying to sexualize an underage Applegate.(a losing battle once she turned 18 I guess) Then think about how Cosby got along with Lisa Bonet... I'm jus' sayin'...
    Last edited by j9ac9k; 09-19-2020 at 02:18 PM.

BANNED

Ed O'Neill was like a father to Christina Applegate and Al Bundy was the best father to his "Pumpkin" Kelly Bundy...

Al and Kelly moments part 1

BANNED

Al and Kelly moments part 2

BANNED

Al and Kelly moments part 3

BANNED

Al and Kelly moments part 4