Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
Results 61 to 75 of 84
  1. #61
    Ultimate Member MajorHoy's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Posts
    19,827

    Default

    I saw about a minute of Garfield as Peter Parker talking with Dr. Curt Connors with Connors asking Peter how he came up with a solution to some formula. But Garfield made me feel like he was Napoleon Dynamite or something.

    No, I would not be disappointed if Garfield as Peter Parker/Spider-Man never met the Avengers.

  2. #62
    Moderator Frontier's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2014
    Posts
    43,945

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Ascended View Post
    Well, as I said, Im not a hard core Spidey fan. And with the MCU, I think that there are tones and themes you could use with Miles that don't quite fit Parker.

    First off, yes, there's the diversity thing. It matters. Let's just get that out of the way and we can all acknowledge that whether you agree with it or not, the vast majority support it. So it matters simply because most people believe it matters.

    Then there's the age thing. We have a lot of twenty-to-thirty-somethings running around in tights. Younger (or older) characters? Not so much. So having a teenager in the MCU offers a completely different path to explore. Teenagers are, generally, just a mess. They haven't self-actualized the same way adults have. So you get new storytelling options with a teenager, and the comics version of Parker is closer to thirty than he is to sixteen. And I always prefer to see the films reflect the source as accurately as is reasonable. Given that Parker hasn't been in high school since before most movie-goers were born, I dont feel a teen Parker accurately reflects the source.

    There's also the concept of legacy. That's something the movies have not really tackled. We'll be getting some of that in Ant-Man I believe, and it could be argued that Agent Carter is about legacy, but it's still a rare theme in the MCU. You could tackle that with Miles, and as it's unlikely that Scott Lang is going to become Ant-Man to honor Pym, Miles provides a very different view on the concept.

    As for the short time that Miles has existed, that's really a non-issue. Assuming that a movie tells one adapted comic book story line and a film comes out every three years, and assuming the average storyline runs six issues, that means we have enough material for ten movies spread across thirty years. Even if you decide that only one out of every four storylines is worth turning into a movie, that still means that there's enough material to last about seven years. At that rate, you're still producing one "movie-worthy" story every two years, while the movies only come out every three. And of course, there's nothing saying that a movie has to follow a comic story at all.
    A teen Peter would actually reflect the source, in that Peter was a teenager when he first got bit and started as Spidey and eventually grew into that thirty-something over time and with character development. All the movies have started out with him in high school because of that, only this time they likely won't rush him out of high school in comparison to the original Raimi films or the Amazing movies.

    And I think post-Infinity War we'll probably see the legacy aspect of the Superhero mythos touched on in the MCU. With the current Avengers Trinity actors likely bowing out after the fight with Thanos, I expect we'll see a new Cap, and maybe a new Iron Man or Thor, appearing in Phase 4. No reason to do it with Peter when you can take your time with him and develop him and Spider-Man in the MCU and then make Miles taking up the mantle later down the line mean more .

    And I also agree with the idea that there isn't much to Miles now that could really be mined for an effective movie series, at least at the moment. I mean, I really like Miles, but he doesn't have the famous supporting cast, personal villains, or stories associated with him that Peter does. Miles' supporting cast in his own book is only made up of a few strong original characters, Ultimate Peter's supporting cast, and Ultimate versions of other 616 characters. In comparison Miguel O'hara, Spider-Man 2099, has a lot more to call his own as a character.

    I just really don't think there's enough with Miles in it at the moment to really adapt from without lifting quite a bit from Peter's stories or mythos, and if they were to do that...why not just start with Peter? Heck, by the time we get to a point in the MCU where Peter can pass the torch to Miles, they'll probably be quite a bit more Miles stories in 616 proper for them to use .

  3. #63
    BANNED
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Posts
    2,647

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by MajorHoy View Post
    I saw about a minute of Garfield as Peter Parker talking with Dr. Curt Connors with Connors asking Peter how he came up with a solution to some formula. But Garfield made me feel like he was Napoleon Dynamite or something.

    No, I would not be disappointed if Garfield as Peter Parker/Spider-Man never met the Avengers.
    Really? Because he never felt like that at all. He was better than tobey mcfly.

  4. #64
    Ultimate Member MajorHoy's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Posts
    19,827

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by marvelguy25 View Post
    Really? Because he never felt like that at all. He was better than tobey mcfly.
    To you. And you're not me.

  5. #65
    BANNED
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Posts
    2,647

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by MajorHoy View Post
    To you. And you're not me.
    Right because I really don't know anything about acting -_-

  6. #66
    Ultimate Member MajorHoy's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Posts
    19,827

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by marvelguy25 View Post
    Right because I really don't know anything about acting -_-
    And yet, your responses for some reason come off as what you think has to be superior to what I think when you don't know anything about my background.

    I wonder why that is?

  7. #67
    Ultimate Member Ascended's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Posts
    12,707

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    A teen Peter would actually reflect the source, in that Peter was a teenager when he first got bit and started as Spidey and eventually grew into that thirty-something over time and with character development. All the movies have started out with him in high school because of that, only this time they likely won't rush him out of high school in comparison to the original Raimi films or the Amazing movies.

    And I think post-Infinity War we'll probably see the legacy aspect of the Superhero mythos touched on in the MCU. With the current Avengers Trinity actors likely bowing out after the fight with Thanos, I expect we'll see a new Cap, and maybe a new Iron Man or Thor, appearing in Phase 4. No reason to do it with Peter when you can take your time with him and develop him and Spider-Man in the MCU and then make Miles taking up the mantle later down the line mean more .

    And I also agree with the idea that there isn't much to Miles now that could really be mined for an effective movie series, at least at the moment. I mean, I really like Miles, but he doesn't have the famous supporting cast, personal villains, or stories associated with him that Peter does. Miles' supporting cast in his own book is only made up of a few strong original characters, Ultimate Peter's supporting cast, and Ultimate versions of other 616 characters. In comparison Miguel O'hara, Spider-Man 2099, has a lot more to call his own as a character.

    I just really don't think there's enough with Miles in it at the moment to really adapt from without lifting quite a bit from Peter's stories or mythos, and if they were to do that...why not just start with Peter? Heck, by the time we get to a point in the MCU where Peter can pass the torch to Miles, they'll probably be quite a bit more Miles stories in 616 proper for them to use .
    Yeah, Parker started out as a teenager, but he hasn't been one for decades. I mentioned this in my post, but I like to see the comics reflected as much as is reasonable, and Parker hasnt been a teenager since forever ago. That's not reflecting the current source, that's just touching upon the basic origin. It's sort of like making a movie where Batman is a gun-totting psycho who kills people. That's reflecting the original source, but its so old no one actually remembers that or thinks of Batman in that way. A younger Parker in the films while he's thirty-something in the comics wouldnt be a deal breaker for me or anything, I'd just personally like to see things line up better than that.

    As for Infinity War, you're likely right. Most of the current actors are looking at their end dates and will have to be replaced in one form or another. But since I have no idea what Marvel will do when they get there (in what, another five years?) it didnt seem overly relevant. Maybe Marvel will go in that direction or maybe they'll just re-cast the same characters (like War Machine was). Who knows?

    As for the content, or lack thereof with Miles, yeah its a thing, but its minor. Most Marvel films barely follow any kind of established story, and Miles has enough of a core supporting cast of his own to work with. As for the villains, it doesnt matter. None of them are well known among the masses, its not like audiences are going to say "Hey, The Vulture is a Parker villain! How dare he show up fighting Miles!" Audiences wont know, and they wont care.

    Again, this is just me. And as Ive said, Im not the biggest Spidey fan out there. I just figure, I've seen five Spider-Man movies in fifteen years featuring Peter Parker. And while there's tons of stuff yet to be done with him, Im over it and ready to see something different. And ultimately, its moot. Marvel is going with Parker, and Im sure the films will be amazing and I'll enjoy the hell out of them. Im just saying, I would have liked to see them be a little more daring and go with someone else.

    Or, they could be bats**t crazy daring, forego Parker completely, and just roll with Spider-Gwen!
    Higher, Faster, Further....More.

    Truth, Justice, and a Better Tomorrow!

    Bridge Four!

  8. #68
    BANNED
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Posts
    2,647

    Default

    would you think Garfield should play Future Peter Parker/Spider-man during an avengers film where he's defending himself and going back him time to help out the avengers and his future self or Nova where he's basically Spider-man in space?

  9. #69
    Ultimate Member MajorHoy's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Posts
    19,827

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by marvelguy25 View Post
    would you think Garfield should play Future Peter Parker/Spider-man during an avengers film where he's defending himself and going back him time to help out the avengers and his future self or Nova where he's basically Spider-man in space?
    I have no idea of what any of that means, but let's just not do that.

  10. #70
    BANNED
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Posts
    2,647

    Default

    I believe it is a great idea.

  11. #71
    Really Feeling It! Kevinroc's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Location
    California
    Posts
    8,211

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Ascended View Post
    Or, they could be bats**t crazy daring, forego Parker completely, and just roll with Spider-Gwen!
    I can guarantee you that isn't happening.

  12. #72
    Ultimate Member MajorHoy's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Posts
    19,827

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Kevinroc View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Ascended View Post
    Or, they could be bats**t crazy daring, forego Parker completely, and just roll with Spider-Gwen!
    I can guarantee you that isn't happening.
    But it could be interesting if they did.

  13. #73

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Ascended View Post
    Yeah, Parker started out as a teenager, but he hasn't been one for decades. I mentioned this in my post, but I like to see the comics reflected as much as is reasonable, and Parker hasnt been a teenager since forever ago. That's not reflecting the current source, that's just touching upon the basic origin. It's sort of like making a movie where Batman is a gun-totting psycho who kills people. That's reflecting the original source, but its so old no one actually remembers that or thinks of Batman in that way. A younger Parker in the films while he's thirty-something in the comics wouldnt be a deal breaker for me or anything, I'd just personally like to see things line up better than that.

    As for Infinity War, you're likely right. Most of the current actors are looking at their end dates and will have to be replaced in one form or another. But since I have no idea what Marvel will do when they get there (in what, another five years?) it didnt seem overly relevant. Maybe Marvel will go in that direction or maybe they'll just re-cast the same characters (like War Machine was). Who knows?

    As for the content, or lack thereof with Miles, yeah its a thing, but its minor. Most Marvel films barely follow any kind of established story, and Miles has enough of a core supporting cast of his own to work with. As for the villains, it doesnt matter. None of them are well known among the masses, its not like audiences are going to say "Hey, The Vulture is a Parker villain! How dare he show up fighting Miles!" Audiences wont know, and they wont care.

    Again, this is just me. And as Ive said, Im not the biggest Spidey fan out there. I just figure, I've seen five Spider-Man movies in fifteen years featuring Peter Parker. And while there's tons of stuff yet to be done with him, Im over it and ready to see something different. And ultimately, its moot. Marvel is going with Parker, and Im sure the films will be amazing and I'll enjoy the hell out of them. Im just saying, I would have liked to see them be a little more daring and go with someone else.

    Or, they could be bats**t crazy daring, forego Parker completely, and just roll with Spider-Gwen!
    Had Spider-Gwen been around longer, they might have gone with that as a spinoff.

  14. #74
    BANNED
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Posts
    2,647

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Mister Mets View Post
    Had Spider-Gwen been around longer, they might have gone with that as a spinoff.
    if they did make a spin-off i rather someone made a fanfilm, web series( animated and live action) and an animated series with either lacey chabert or ashley johnson.

  15. #75
    I'm great at boats! Alastor's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Location
    Germany
    Posts
    497

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by marvelguy25 View Post
    if they did make a spin-off i rather someone made a fanfilm, web series( animated and live action) and an animated series with either lacey chabert or ashley johnson.
    Marvel decided to hire Donald Glover as the voice actor of Miles Morales in the Ultimate Spider-Man cartoon, so they should at least try to get Emma Stone to voice Spider-Gwen in case they should develop an animated spinoff.
    "Tell me there's something better. Go ahead, try."

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •