Page 14 of 34 FirstFirst ... 410111213141516171824 ... LastLast
    Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by Hypestyle View Post
    Too bad we'll never see this because of ownership issues:

http://derekl.deviantart.com/art/Joh...beau-434161122
    LOL.....I just mentioned that in the John Stewart appreciation thread.

I will use the link you provided.....I hope you don't mind.
    Last edited by Anthony Shaw; 06-08-2015 at 07:49 AM.

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by Venomous Mask View Post
    I think that the relationship with Blue Marvel has serious potential and is the best route to go. Making her lesbian would see a bit left field.
    I agree with you.

Cosmic Curmudgeon JudicatorPrime's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Xhatch View Post
    I've been reading Al Ewing's Mighty Avengers run on Marvel Unlimited. So far I think it's great. I did read his column about how he thought Captain Marvel (Spectrum) was an awesome character. I'm now 8 issues into that 14 issue volume. He's not only making me interested in this character but also in some of the other characters in the book. It's just really great! The only thing I will say is his favorism for Spectrum is evident. Even how she takes out White Tiger in her Godmode kinda shows that too. But still, I'm interested in reading more about Spectrum and some of these other Mighty Avengers.
    I always liked Monica, but Al Ewing's writing made her one of my favorite characters all-time. Capable, commanding, intelligent, powerful, with a bit of a dark, mysterious side, and a sense of humor? Perfect recipe.

Quote Originally Posted by MCBT View Post
    But maybe people do like the idea of PoC, LGBT and women taking the mantles of certain heroes? If people want them to be legacy characters where anyone of a certain race, gender or sexual preference can be that character. I mean, girls want to have spider powers too you know?
    Sure, if that happens every now and then, I have no problems with it. But we're at the point that it's becoming a disturbing narrative in comics. There was a time when we hailed the innovators, the people who originated their own success stories. Now it seems like we're stuck in a cycle of constant rehashing and archetype envy. Marvel has a wealth of D-List characters that should be developed. Instead of giving us another iteration of Thor, why not push the characters who hardly get any panel time? I know the obvious answer will be sales, but you can't keep cannibalizing present characters. Brace for the inevitable backlash from your consumer base, if you do.

BANNED

The problem with that logic is that these moves are not made for us older comic book fans. Eventually, these characters will get new fans and when exposed to them via something like Jane Foster as Thor or X-23 as Wolverine, they will be the characters new fans grow up reading. I mean come on, how did you feel about Monica Rambeau as Captain Marvel? I don't see a backlash anytime soon.

The problem with that logic is that these moves are not made for us older comic book fans. Eventually, these characters will get new fans and when exposed to them via something like Jane Foster as Thor or X-23 as Wolverine, they will be the characters new fans grow up reading. I mean come on, how did you feel about Monica Rambeau as Captain Marvel? I don't see a backlash anytime soon.
    I see your point, but Monica as Captain Marvel is not quite the same. She had the same name, but otherwise was not derivative, did not share the same power set, and didn't owe her abilities to Mar-Vell. Plus, Mar-Vell was dead at the time. I have no qualms about someone taking a name if the previous owner is taking a dirtnap. Ms. Marvel, Spider Woman, She-Hulk, Siryn... all are characters that probably make for a better example.

In any event, I was fine with all of them. But that was back when you only had that happen once in a blue moon. Most of the new characters to hit the scene were truly new and unique. These days, however, you can't flip a page without seeing someone adopting a mantle, and in most cases, the original bearer is still around in some way/shape/form. Name a hero, and with few exceptions, there is probably a female, or PoC, etc., version of him somewhere.

BANNED

Does it matter? People can love who has the current mantle better. Carol Danvers is Captain Marvel, Kamala Khan is Ms. Marvel, X-23 is Wolverine; let them have their chance to shine.

Does it matter? People can love who has the current mantle better. Carol Danvers is Captain Marvel, Kamala Khan is Ms. Marvel, X-23 is Wolverine; let them have their chance to shine.
    It matters when you want to see and be entertained by something entirely different. But you're right: to each his/her own.

Quote Originally Posted by Anthony Shaw View Post
    That was pretty funny. I still find that funny.

This scan kind of made my day. Oh Monica...

Quote Originally Posted by XPac View Post
    Course, Carol wasn't really used consistantly either. I think it was Busiek that sort of brought her out of semi-limbo status, and Bendis consistant usage of her in his Avengers book cemented it. NOW it's a regular fixture in books she certainly wasn't when I was growing up reading comics.

The same in theory could happen to Monica ... it just take a writer to really champion her, and the next writer to keep it going. That was the nice thing about a lot of the newer Avengers which Bendis sort of championed... marvel kept using Carol and Cage even after Bendis left the books. That doesn't always happen unfortunately.

I do honestly think that some writers might find Monica difficult to write. A character with light speed, intantibility, and the fire power to hurt a sky father is a tough combination to face. You need a very specific powerset to deal with Monica and even then at times a bit of jobbing is required to make sure she doesn't end every fight she's in 2 seconds after it starts. Not saying it's impossible... but it's a challenge, moreso than even for characters like say Thor or Hulk, who are obviously very powerful in a very different way. It takes a smart writer using a bit of effort (moreso than the average character) to really write Monica to her FULL potential. Unless of course she's in a cosmic setting.

Not saying I don't want Monica used or anything like that. But I know if I were a comic book writer, I'd be struggling like crazy to figure out ways to not have Monica end every fight in a fraction of a second. She's that uber. Which is also part of what makes her so awesome ... it's sort of a tough spot to be in.
    I'm sorry but I had to bump this thread and reply to this old post because this ish is SOOOOO true. Indeed Coral, Luke Cage and Spider-Woman were hardly used or even known before the New Avengers or when Bendis took over as writer for Avengers. Before they were barely even B-listers if at all, especially Carol. I don't like Bendis as a writer and I know many don't, but we have to credit him for really building these three characters. Now they're solid B-listers and it is a norm to have them in major comics teams.

Indeed the same can happen to Monica if Ewing keeps pushing her. That's why I like Ewing, he tries to salvage underused characters and build them up. He is obviously trying to build Monica and Blue Marvel. With him champion those two characters, it'll make other writers decide to use them more.

Quote Originally Posted by Cmbmool View Post
    I wonder who owns Monica Rambeau, because I would love to see her involved in the Marvel Cinematic Universe in the future or at least in Avengers Infinity War. That would be something to see in terms of team ups with live action Avengers members on the BIG SCREEN.
    It's unlikely there's any ownership issues with Monica.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Cmbmool View Post
    I wonder who owns Monica Rambeau, because I would love to see her involved in the Marvel Cinematic Universe in the future or at least in Avengers Infinity War. That would be something to see in terms of team ups with live action Avengers members on the BIG SCREEN.
    Only as the MCU Captain Marvel.
    She can easily be used as an earthbound hero to a space hero because MCU Monica Rambeau is MCU Captain Marvel who can move in the way MCU Thor is transported by the MCU Rainbow Bridge.
    MCU Monica Rambeau Captain Marvel can take on the MCU Kree as her baptism of fire.
    MCU Ronan and MCU Nebula can suffer defeat at MCU Monica Rambeau Captain Marvel's hand.

Quote Originally Posted by 616MarvelYear is LeapYear View Post
    Only as the MCU Captain Marvel.
    It's already been confirmed Captain Marvel will be Carol Danvers. That ship has sailed.

Has Monica been seen during Secret Wars at all? Anywhere? At least she has a role afterward.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Hypestyle View Post
    Has Monica been seen during Secret Wars at all? Anywhere? At least she has a role afterward.
    Captain Marvel has been seen in the series A-Force by G. Willow Wilson