Page 30 of 34 FirstFirst ... 20262728293031323334 LastLast
    BANNED

Captain Marvel with her parents, Frank and Maria Rambeau!!!

Captain Marvel's parents both make their debut in Avengers #246.

Maria Rambeau is a seamstress and Frank Rambeau is a retired fire chief for the New Orleans Fire Department.

While Frank is supportive of his daughter's super heroics, Maria had difficulties letting Monica risk her life after years spent worrying about her husband in his dangerous occupation.

Quote Originally Posted by Beetle View Post
    I'm pretty hopeful for Monica but they've used Tina Minoru and Helen Cho in MCU movies but I haven't seen Nico or Amadeus in any movies yet, so grain of salt.
    But they didn't have "Sister Grimm" or "Amadeus" as their respective call signs. Just sayin'

Also, I think Amadeus was being set up before they knew they could use Peter Parker in the MCU. As for Nico, she went straight to streaming.

Cosmic Curmudgeon JudicatorPrime's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by ed2962 View Post
    I'm going to assume that Carol and Maria are probably supposed to be 30-ish in the 90's. That way if Monica ever does appear in an upcoming movie, it'll make sense that she'll be an adult now. They'll probably explain Carol still looking young because of all the years she spent in deep space...if I understand the Theory of Relativity correctly, the further you get from the Earth, the slower time moves.
    Actually, that's not quite right. The theory of relativity in that instance actually refers to proximity to an intense source of gravity, i.e., a blackhole, not the Earth. If you put a man in a spacecraft and send him to, say, the moon, well the amount of time spent for the man in a normal, non-hyperspatial or faster than light craft, and for the observer on earth is the same. (We chart that sort of thing with satellites now.) The same applies if you were sending the same person in a craft to Mars, or Saturn, etc.

Now if we're talking about the relative distinction between a solar year on Earth vs., say, a solar year on Jupiter, well, I get your point. But even then, we're talking more like human years vs. dog years when you think about it. Just because it takes about 12 Earth years to orbit the sun doesn't mean that a human being born on Jupiter would live 12 times longer than a person born on Earth. The human body just doesn't work that way. Our bodies have a natural thanatotic trigger. We have a shelf life that can't be defied. Our minds break down, our bodies breakdown, etc., etc.

If I had to guess, if Carol is as old as Monica's mother they're attributing her longevity to her part Kree, part Human physiology.
    Last edited by JudicatorPrime; 09-09-2018 at 08:23 PM.
    “True peace is not merely the absence of tension; it is the presence of justice.”
    ~Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr.

“If I love you, I have to make you conscious of what you don’t see.”
    ~James Baldwin

Invincible Member

Quote Originally Posted by JudicatorPrime View Post
    Actually, that's not quite right. The theory of relativity in that instance actually refers to proximity to an intense source of gravity, i.e., a blackhole, not the Earth. If you put a man in a spacecraft and send him to, say, the moon, well the amount of time spent for the man in a niormal, non-hyperspatial or faster than light craft, and for the observer on earth, is the same. (We chart that sort of thing with satellites now.) The same applies if you were sending the same person in a craft to Mars, or Saturn, etc.

Now if we're talking about the relative distinction between a solar year on Earth vs., say, a solar year on Jupiter, well, I get your point. But even then, we're talking more like human years vs. dog years when you think about it. Just because it takes about 12 Earth years to orbit the sun doesn't mean that a human being born on Jupiter would live 12 times longer than a person born on Earth. The human body just doesn't work that way. Our bodies have a natural thanatotic trigger. We have a shelf life that can't be defied. Our minds break down, our bodies breakdown, etc., etc.

If I had to guess, if Carol is as old as Monica's mother they're attributing her longevity to her part Kree, part Human physiology.
    Ok, that's what I got mixed up.

so can Monica absorb the Speed Force from DC? Also the various light spectrum powers from the Lanterns. That would be a nice stunt to see..

Quote Originally Posted by Hypestyle View Post
    so can Monica absorb the Speed Force from DC? Also the various light spectrum powers from the Lanterns. That would be a nice stunt to see..
    In the last Crossover of Avengers/Justice League, Monica was able to mimic the energy of the green lantern ring.

Invincible Member

Why would she need to? She can already move at the speed of light.

the speed force is.. the speed force... faster..

In the beginning I think the writers were intentionally limiting Monica's powers to electromagnetic wave form energies. Emphasis on wave form. I think they intentionally avoided getting into whether wave-particle duality (a quantum mechanics concept) applied to Monica. Over time, however, wave vs. particle became a difference without distinction. For example, she's able to merge with Blue Marvel as a result of them both being able to transform into antiphoton particles. If Monica is capable of becoming not just the waveform, but the particle itself, then theoretically she should be able to assume the form of any energy particle, including faster than light particles like neutrinos, tachyons, etc. We just haven't seen it depicted yet. I wouldn't be shocked if she could duplicate Green Lantern or Speed Force energies -- although I thought the SF was a semi-sentient energy form.

It's worth noting again that Monica's energy based powers hail from interaction with an extradimensional source. Who can say what exotic and unique energy forms and particles exist on the other side of that breach? Energy forms and particles that don't presently exist in the mainstream iteration. We're talking really beyond-beyond type stuff. Just imagine the possibilities.

Back when Monica lost her powers I drafted a fanfic where she regained them by crossing over into that near infinite extradimensional source of energy and completely reformed herself with the energies there contained. When she returned to our side of the breach, Monica was comprised completely of those particles. This gave her a unique advantage over the villain in the piece -- Owen Reece (the Molecule Man) -- who found out the hard way that his molecule/reality warping abilities could not affect her at all. Moving at faster than light speed, she was able to surgically wound Molecule Man at a rate faster than he could heal himself, even faster than he could think to heal himself. By the time that Monica was done, she had performed the equivalent of a cosmic leucotomy on Owen. His powers weren't gone, just his mental and physiological connection to them. At the story's end the big reveal is that Monica owed her powers to a sinister cabal of cosmic beings who saw Molecule Man as the only deterrent to their dark schemes. They were the ones who put Monica and Owen on a path to mutual destruction. But Monica and friends would eventually show them that MM was the least of their worries.
    Last edited by JudicatorPrime; 09-11-2018 at 08:40 PM.
    “True peace is not merely the absence of tension; it is the presence of justice.”

~James Baldwin

Quote Originally Posted by JudicatorPrime View Post
    In the beginning I think the writers were intentionally limiting Monica's powers to electromagnetic wave form energies. Emphasis on wave form. I think they intentionally avoided getting into whether wave-particle duality (a quantum mechanics concept) applied to Monica. Over time, however, wave vs. particle became a difference without distinction. For example, she's able to merge with Blue Marvel as a result of them both being able to transform into antiphoton particles. If Monica is capable of becoming not just the waveform, but the particle itself, then theoretically she should be able to assume the form of any energy particle, including faster than light particles like neutrinos, tachyons, etc. We just haven't seen it depicted yet. I wouldn't be shocked if she could duplicate Green Lantern or Speed Force energies -- although I though the SF was a semi-sentient energy form.

It's worth noting again that Monica's energy based powers hail from interaction with an extradimensional source. Who can say what exotic and unique energy forms and particles exist on the other side of that breach? Energy forms and particles that don't presently exist in the mainstream iteration. We're talking really beyond-beyond type stuff. Just imagine the possibilities.

Back when Monica lost her powers I drafted a fanfic where she regained them by crossing over into that near infinite extradimensional source of energy and completely reformed herself with the energies there contained. When she returned to our side of the breach, Monica was comprised completely of those particles. This gave her a unique advantage over the villain in the piece -- Owen Reece (the Molecule Man) -- who found out the hard way that his molecule/reality warping abilities could not affect her at all. Moving at faster than light speed, she was able to surgically wound Molecule Man at a rate faster than he could heal himself, even faster than he could think to heal himself. By the time that Monica was done, she had performed the equivalent of a cosmic leucotomy on Owen. His powers weren't gone, just his mental and physiological connection to them. At the story's end the big reveal is that Monica owed her powers to a sinister cabal of cosmic beings who saw Molecule Man as the only deterrent to their dark schemes. They were the ones who put Monica and Owen on a path to mutual destruction. But Monica and friends would eventually show them that MM was the least of their worries.
    Cool but to much power. Especially the way he is written now.

On another hand, i feel the Stranger would make a great part of Monica's back story.or cosmic shadow cabal.
    Some of us wait, some of us act.

Quote Originally Posted by LordAllMIghty View Post
    Cool but to much power. Especially the way he is written now.
    Perhaps, but again that unpublished story was from over a decade ago...so it wouldn't work either way. Monica has her powers back and they've already been expanded upon by Ewing. Plus Monica is more likely to tussle with those Beyonder-type beings than Owen these days.

~James Baldwin

One of my favorite scenes in comics occurred when Black Panther told Monica that she was one of the most powerful beings in the world. She just had to start realizing it. I didn't get a chance to read Al Ewing's Ultimates. Was she portrayed that way?
    "Only the Hulk could have attempted it! Only the Hulk could have been capable of it! Only the Hulk could have done it!" - Tales to Astonish #63

"Hulk can do ANYTHING!!! Hulk is mind over matter, mind over energy, mind over mind" - Lord Smash'emall aka Gamma Ra the Assassin aka Gamma Irradiated Being

Quote Originally Posted by Gamma Irradiated Being View Post
    One of my favorite scenes in comics occurred when Black Panther told Monica that she was one of the most powerful beings in the world. She just had to start realizing it. I didn't get a chance to read Al Ewing's Ultimates. Was she portrayed that way?
    Yes and no. Her power level was inceeased and we found out she more energy, then human. She has cosmic awareness, is powerful enough to destroy a planet and can stop the moment of molecules....absolute zero.
    Some of us wait, some of us act.

Quote Originally Posted by Confuzzled View Post
    But they didn't have "Sister Grimm" or "Amadeus" as their respective call signs. Just sayin'

Also, I think Amadeus was being set up before they knew they could use Peter Parker in the MCU. As for Nico, she went straight to streaming.
    It's really too soon for Ammy to join the MCU anyway. Don't forget, his involvement with superheroes starts in the comics when his parents are killed. So if Helen's alive, he hasn't met Hulk or Hercules yet. And Herc has himself not been introduced to the MCU anyway. They should wait until around the time Ms Marvel is introduced (which would be maybe five years from now, as Captain Marvel 2, the same film that would introduce a superpowered Monica, makes sense for Kamala's debut) before bringing in Amadeus (maybe they could use Totally Awesome Hulk as a way to replace Mark Ruffalo when he eventually leaves). Then they'd group up the various teen heroes for a Champions/Young Avengers combo team film (Cassie Lang would be used there as well).

I don't think they would've ever used Amadeus in place of Peter Parker. They can't do Hulk solo movies, so they'll probably need to give him his powers in an Avengers film, unless they do introduce Hercules (who could be a Thor replacement).
    Appreciation Thread Indexes
    Marvel | Spider-Man | X-Men | NEW!! DC Comics | Batman | Superman | Wonder Woman

Quote Originally Posted by Gamma Irradiated Being View Post
    Ewing isn't exactly Starlin when it comes to propelling characters to their utmost potential, but he did establish that Monica was more powerful in ways that weren't previously expounded upon as far as I know. That said, Ewing has a way of rigging plot devices that make it damn near next to impossible for said characters to shine when you want/expect them to shine as solo characters within a group dynamic. So instead of Blue Marvel easily dropping a sub-Boss character (aren't Sentry, King Hyperion, etc., basically a "sub-Boss" character in terms of power levels?), he instead needs to merge with Monica to do so. Instead of Monica dropping Thanos in nanoseconds -- faster than Thanos can think -- Ewing reintroduces Thanos as an effective psionic, even though he had never been depicted with such abilities previously. (These days all it takes to end Thanos is beheading with a sword apparently. Guess his psionic powers are off again??? A simple mind control, paralysis, or illusion should have kept his head on his shoulders, you'd think.)

~James Baldwin