Page 4 of 34 FirstFirst 1234567814 ... LastLast

i recommend it and it's awesome.
    I surrender to the Contest

Amazing Member

So what did everyone think of the last page of Captain America and the Mighty Avengers #6? spoilers:
    Definitely wasn't expecting Monica to change back to her old look. I don't know if I like bringing back the trench coat but nice to see her get her old hairstyle back. Should be interesting how they explain the whole Nextwave stuff. Seems like Monica will be getting some decent spotlight in the next couple of issues.
    end of spoilers

Here's a scan of the page in case anyone is interested. I'll just put the link to the image in case someone hasn't read the issue yet.

http://41.media.tumblr.com/057925ca2...jkqo1_1280.jpg

http://41.media.tumblr.com/947bec861...jkqo2_1280.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by Javier View Post
    So what did everyone think of the last page of Captain America and the Mighty Avengers #6? spoilers:
    Definitely wasn't expecting Monica to change back to her old look. I don't know if I like bringing back the trench coat but nice to see her get her old hairstyle back. Should be interesting how they explain the whole Nextwave stuff. Seems like Monica will be getting some decent spotlight in the next couple of issues.
    end of spoilers

Here's a scan of the page in case anyone is interested. I'll just put the link to the image in case someone hasn't read the issue yet.

http://41.media.tumblr.com/057925ca2...jkqo1_1280.jpg

http://41.media.tumblr.com/947bec861...jkqo2_1280.jpg
    She looks amazing there. Glad to see her lockes back too. How has she been in Mighty Avengers? Is she still a field leader?

Quote Originally Posted by Project Initiative Cascada View Post
    She looks amazing there. Glad to see her lockes back too. How has she been in Mighty Avengers? Is she still a field leader?
    Yes, she's still the field leader. Cap Falcon is the spokesperson. Luke Cage is in a strange place.

BANNED

I don't like the coat but everything else is fine. She looks great in just about anything or whatever hair do.

Quote Originally Posted by Trident View Post
    I don't like the coat but everything else is fine. She looks great in just about anything or whatever hair do.
    Isn't the coat from Nextwave?

BANNED

I guess I'll have to add this to my list.

Cosmic Curmudgeon JudicatorPrime's Avatar

Interesting. Both Owen Reece (The Molecule Man) and Monica Rambeau acquired their powers by being inundated with an extremely powerful extra-dimensional energy source. Both Owen and Monica had some interaction with Beyonders. We know that Owen's powers are directly linked to the Beyond-verse, but has anyone ever established exactly what dimension Monica breached when she gained her powers? With Secret Wars and the Beyonder(s) returning, I couldn't help but wonder.

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by JudicatorPrime View Post
    Interesting. Both Owen Reece (The Molecule Man) and Monica Rambeau acquired their powers by being inundated with an extremely powerful extra-dimensional energy source. Both Owen and Monica had some interaction with Beyonders. We know that Owen's powers are directly linked to the Beyond-verse, but has anyone ever established exactly what dimension Monica breached when she gained her powers? With Secret Wars and the Beyonder(s) returning, I couldn't help but wonder.
    I do like that the source of Monica's powers have been left undeveloped. She's was created with a built-in story just waiting to be told.

Not a fan of her being able to change her clothes and hairstyle in a flash of light. Even for someone whose powers have been as wildly changed as hers (from being able to turn into energy along the EM spectrum to being able to do *anything* so long as words like 'microwaves' or 'radiation' are invoked), being able to restyle one's hair or recreate a high-tech jacket that allowed her to fly seems particularly off-theme...

Cosmic Curmudgeon JudicatorPrime's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Sutekh View Post
    I do like that the source of Monica's powers have been left undeveloped. She's was created with a built-in story just waiting to be told.

Not a fan of her being able to change her clothes and hairstyle in a flash of light. Even for someone whose powers have been as wildly changed as hers (from being able to turn into energy along the EM spectrum to being able to do *anything* so long as words like 'microwaves' or 'radiation' are invoked), being able to restyle one's hair or recreate a high-tech jacket that allowed her to fly seems particularly off-theme...
    Changing into various holographic images on the fly works for me. Otherwise, we get writer and artist inconsistencies...like that one image above of her running and removing her clothes to reveal her costume underneath. Sure, it's dramatic, but totally inconsistent with how Monica uses her powers. After all, she could just turn into intangible EM particles and her outer garments would fall to the floor. That's certainly faster than her running and disrobing.

It looks like there is much, much more to Monica than we know. Ewing, apparently, is integrating the Nextwave Monica as canon, which means that she possibly had her powers as a child... and perhaps the energy disruptor accident merely reconnected her to that extradimensional source. An interesting development to say the least.

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by JudicatorPrime View Post
    It looks like there is much, much more to Monica than we know. Ewing, apparently, is integrating the Nextwave Monica as canon, which means that she possibly had her powers as a child... and perhaps the energy disruptor accident merely reconnected her to that extradimensional source. An interesting development to say the least.
    I would like to think that, even the basic premise of Nextwave might be brought into canon, that not every little detail would be quite as depicted in that series, since Monica regaled Elsa Bloodstone with tales of being hit on by a skeevy Dr. Strange and also Captain America telling her to go make him a sandwich while the menfolk fought the bad guys. I would like for stuff like that to remain firmly tongue-in-cheek...

Monica disintegrating her yappy puppy as a child (or Elsa being tossed into a pit with a monster at the age of two by her father, or Arishem the Judge, leader of the Celestials, making an 'L' on his forehead as he calls Machine Man a loser), IMO, belongs with those other things, exaggerated for humorous effect.

That said, Monica's 'power up' to be able to do pretty much anything with energy, in Nextwave, along with the theory that her origin might be tied to that of Owen Reece (only her powers pertaining to energy particles, and not molecules of matter), could be an interesting development. The Molecule Man was practically a living Infinity Stone, relating to matter. Monica being similar, but pertaining to energy, would be a tremendous power up, and, if Marvel follows the usual path of female characters gaining Silver Surfer-like power levels (see; Jean Grey, Wanda Maximoff) will eventually lead to the usual 'wimmin can't handle fat crackling cosmic power and must be put back into their place, for their own good' storyline...
    Last edited by Sutekh; 04-05-2015 at 01:34 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Sutekh View Post
    I would like to think that, even the basic premise of Nextwave might be brought into canon, that not every little detail would be quite as depicted in that series, since Monica regaled Elsa Bloodstone with tales of being hit on by a skeevy Dr. Strange and also Captain America telling her to go make him a sandwich while the menfolk fought the bad guys. I would like for stuff like that to remain firmly tongue-in-cheek...

Monica disintegrating her yappy puppy as a child (or Elsa being tossed into a pit with a monster at the age of two by her father, or Arishem the Judge, leader of the Celestials, making an 'L' on his forehead as he calls Machine Man a loser), IMO, belongs with those other things, exaggerated for humorous effect.

That said, Monica's 'power up' to be able to do pretty much anything with energy, in Nextwave, along with the theory that her origin might be tied to that of Owen Reece (only her powers pertaining to energy particles, and not molecules of matter), could be an interesting development. The Molecule Man was practically a living Infinity Stone, relating to matter. Monica being similar, but pertaining to energy, would be a tremendous power up, and, if Marvel follows the usual path of female characters gaining Silver Surfer-like power levels (see; Jean Grey, Wanda Maximoff) will eventually lead to the usual 'wimmin can't handle fat crackling cosmic power and must be put back into their place, for their own good' storyline...
    Marvel already deemed her too powerful and cool once when they stripped her of her title and her powers. They gave her a weaker version of her powers.
    Monica Rambeau is the queen of my heart and life. Bow down to her then give her all your money.

Nostagia leads to stagnation and over glorifying the past. The past sucked, the present sucks, and the future will suck. Take off the rose colored glasses and don't let that jerk nostalgia trick you into thinking life was better than it really was. If 20 years from now I'm of those people that say music, tv, videogames etc. was better back in my day please hit me in the knee caps with a bat.

What are people referring to when they talk about Monica's "power upgrade". I just read #6 and nothing i could tell suggested that unless you're talking about the costume change, but I mean, if storm can do it..

I like Monica's next wave coat maybe wish it wasn't solid black though

image.jpg
    Last edited by Baby_Hater666; 04-06-2015 at 10:16 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Baby_Hater666 View Post
    What are people referring to when they talk about Monica's "power upgrade". I just read #6 and nothing i could tell suggested that unless you're talking about the costume change, but I mean, if storm can do it..

I like Monica's next wave coat maybe wish it wasn't solid black though
    She doesn't need a power upgrade, just a recognition of what her powers have technically allowed all along:

1) Being able to convert the entirety of her body's mass into energy at whatever wavelength is convenient gives her an absolutely staggering power level, relative to anybody below say Silver Surfer or Thor level anyway, and really way above what even either of them usually shows in Earthbound conflicts. After all, E=MC^2 means that she can expend more energy in one go than was contained in the explosion of the world's largest nuclear bomb, the Tsar Bomba at 50 megatons, any time she has about 5 extra pounds she wants to lose (and that's assuming she can't sacrifice mass from her clothing instead). And she wouldn't have to expend that in an explosion shattering the entirety of whatever city she's in, either.... it could be in a tight beam composed of whatever frequency/wavelength she desires.

2) Since she converts all the molecules in her body (and clothing, at least where it's composed of unstable molecules) into electromagnetic radiation and then converts back into a physical form, that makes her basically the living equivalent of a Star Trek transporter beam, at least for herself.... her EM form can interact with different things and both gain and lose energy, and she never has any trouble reforming the exact combination of atoms, molecules, cells, tissues, organs, etc. that she needs to be a physically functioning, living human being. That implies other things she might theoretically be able to do, even beyond changing clothing/hair style when she comes back to physical... for example, say she was wounded, converted to light/EM radiation, and then when she converted back to physical, forgot about the wound... would she not be healed?

Its funny that she's on her toes in that image.
    Like....she's pissed, but she's SO pissed that she's neeeeearly pirouetting?