Page 7 of 34 FirstFirst ... 3456789101117 ... LastLast
    Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Hypestyle View Post
    ... Dazzler is flying? (?!?)
    I think we've seen Dazzler fly before, projecting hard-light to propel her, or something to that effect. I know she really developed her powers for some new effects back in the X-TREME X-MEN series where she was team leader.

Quote Originally Posted by Hypestyle View Post
    ... replacing Monica with Nico (who?!?)
    Nico Minoru, one of the Runaways, and one of the lead characters of this series. (She-Hulk, Dazzler, Nico, Medusa and Singularity are the core cast).

Amazing Member

Some Monica Rambeau costume redesigns I've seen floating around.

Amazing Member

I'm gonna attempt to know more about her. The "Mighty Avengers" put her in the spotlight for me.

I would hope that MCU would include her in the Captain Marvel adaptation, since I hear she was called this before Carol.
    Last edited by Bunai; 05-10-2015 at 10:05 AM. Reason: Might --> Mighty
    aka(s). o-bunⓐi-o // ⓓcembⓘrth

Sorry for any misspellings or grammar mistakes

Last edited by Crazed T'Challa x Emma x Namor shipper; Yesterday at 00:00 UM.

Quote Originally Posted by Javier View Post
    That's a pretty good design -- then again I always thought Monica had some of the best costumes for female characters in the Marvel U. If they had to go for something with more color, this would work.

Though I don't get why everyone thinks Monica should be in the Captain Marvel movie? It was her name, but outside of a team-up or two, she and Carol have always had separate lives. I fear that if they did introduce her there, she'd be Carol's equivalent of Rhodey and be her "black best friend" who gets to do something cool every once in a while.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Bunai View Post
    I'm gonna attempt to know more about her. The "Might Avengers" put her in the spotlight for me.

I would hope that MCU would include her in the Captain Marvel adaptation, since I hear she was called this before Carol.
    Yes. Monica was the 2nd Captain Marvel. She made her debut in AMAZING SPIDER-MAN ANNUAL #16, and from there immediately joined the cast of AVENGERS in #227 as an Avenger-in-training and remained on active duty until #295. After that she made sporadic appearances as a reserve member, plus starred in two CAPTAIN MARVEL one-shots.

She gave up the "Captain Marvel" name in AVENGERS UNPLUGGED #5, so that the son of the original Captain Marvel could take over the name.

Quote Originally Posted by MsAngel View Post
    Though I don't get why everyone thinks Monica should be in the Captain Marvel movie? It was her name, but outside of a team-up or two, she and Carol have always had separate lives. I fear that if they did introduce her there, she'd be Carol's equivalent of Rhodey and be her "black best friend" who gets to do something cool every once in a while.
    I would much prefer her to have a standalone role yet being aware that both women are in the same universe.

She doesn't have to be a 'just a friend'.

Quote Originally Posted by Dermie View Post
    Yes. Monica was the 2nd Captain Marvel. She made her debut in AMAZING SPIDER-MAN ANNUAL #16, and from there immediately joined the cast of AVENGERS in #227 as an Avenger-in-training and remained on active duty until #295. After that she made sporadic appearances as a reserve member, plus starred in two CAPTAIN MARVEL one-shots.

She gave up the "Captain Marvel" name in AVENGERS UNPLUGGED #5, so that the son of the original Captain Marvel could take over the name.
    Thank you.

Invincible Member

Quote Originally Posted by Bunai View Post
    I would much prefer her to have a standalone role yet being aware that both women are in the same universe.

She doesn't have to be a 'just a friend'.

Sure, but if it's Carol's movie, by default anyone who isn't Carol becomes a support character.

I'd like to see Monica in maybe a kid's cartoon as the star. I think clever producers/writers could really exploit the "science-y" aspects of her powers and be educational at the same time.

Quote Originally Posted by Dermie View Post
    And since then, it's become a running joke for Monica to make up a new superhero-name, only for some other superhero to come along and steal it from her.

Actually, I don't think Monica even gave herself the Captain Marvel name. That was the creation of the public media seeing her in action, and she just rolled along with it until Genis-Vell came along and explained what the name meant.
    She is Kamala Khan... The Magnificent Ms. Marvel!

BANNED

Shouldn't Monica have been able to

spoilers:
    survive what happened in Secret Wars #1?
    end of spoilers

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Myetche View Post
    And since then, it's become a running joke for Monica to make up a new superhero-name, only for some other superhero to come along and steal it from her.
    It was the same "other superhero"--Genis--both times. Monica called him out on it the 2nd time; he claimed it was an honest mistake. Thankfully they were able to settle it like civilized adults, rather than with a big "you stole my name" brawl. lol

Quote Originally Posted by Myetche View Post
    Actually, I don't think Monica even gave herself the Captain Marvel name. That was the creation of the public media seeing her in action, and she just rolled along with it until Genis-Vell came along and explained what the name meant.
    Sort of. You're right about the media giving her the CM name, but she learned about the original CM and his legacy looooong before Genis came around. She learned about it fairly early in her Avengers career, since several of her teammates had fought alongside Mar-Vell...and then Starfox joined the team, and he and Mar-Vell were close friends. So Eros originally was a bit taken aback at someone else using his friend's name...but he eventually gave Monica his blessing, saying Mar-Vell would have been proud to know that someone like her was carrying on his name.

Quote Originally Posted by JudicatorPrime View Post
    #AvengeMonica
    good pic...

Quote Originally Posted by Javier View Post
    She was in a preview page for A-Force but for some reason she got erased from the page and replaced by Nico.

She was in two panels in the free comic book day Secret Wars comic. She was just flying in the background though. Other than that I haven't seen her in any previews in anything Secret Wars related. I'm hoping that she shows up somewhere since or that she at least has a little role in A Force.

The talk about Monica being in the MCU makes me wonder how they could introduce her. Ideally I'd love to have her debut in her own movie but I know that ain't happening. The Captain Marvel movie could be a good way to introduce her but that could run into the problem of her being relegated tot he best friend role and even then who knows if she would have powers right away. With the way Agents of Shield handles some characters I'd be iffy for her to show up there. There's always the chance that she could be introduced in one of the Netflix shows which I would be interested in seeing. I don't know if she'd fit in any of their shows since they are more grounded. Having her debut in an Avengers movie and kicking ass would be awesome but the next two movies are probably going to be crammed with characters so chances of her debuting there are probably slim.

Either way I'm still going to hold out hope they cast Shanola Hampton as Monica and give her a decent role somewhere.
    Ugh lame! I still hope she is somewhere in the issue and doesn't just play wallpaper in it.

Quote Originally Posted by MsAngel View Post
    That's a pretty good design -- then again I always thought Monica had some of the best costumes for female characters in the Marvel U. If they had to go for something with more color, this would work.

Carol and Monica are actually good friends. If they were to go the airforce route in Carol's film, I think they can make Monica an officer or co-major with Carol. They could even throw some humor in the film, with Monica saying she likes the Captain Marvel codename for herself, and Carol telling her she can't have it.

Quote Originally Posted by Project Initiative Cascada View Post
    Carol and Monica are actually good friends. If they were to go the airforce route in Carol's film, I think they can make Monica an officer or co-major with Carol.
    If there is a fanfic of this somewhere, please direct me to it.

kthnx

Ultimate Member

I'd much rather a Captain Marvel movie be about Monica than Carol, actually. Monica has unique powers and didn't get her powers and origin as a hand-me-down from a male character. She stands on her own, and has never worn a bikini into battle, had a problem with alcoholism, picked the wrong side in Civil War, or been mind-jobbed into bearing a child who is both son and father and then flying off to be his love-slave.

Monica does have, like Jean Grey, a small problem with incinerating large numbers of broccoli people, but we forgive her for that.