Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default Red Hood and The Outlaws [Post-Convergence]

Something I've noticed in a previous thread [Bat-Editorial Wishlist 2015] was that a lot of fans are divided on how to improve upon the series. Between changing writers, a new direction, and editorial shifts, it seems as though there are a variety of options.

Personally, I want to repeat my opinion from the previous thread, that I would like to see Red Hood and The Outlaws shifted to Bat-Editorial in June 2015. For writing purposes, I nominate Warren Ellis (Moon Knight Volume 01: From The Dead), from his previous work he's shown to be character driven while balancing crime-centered tones.

Which takes me to my second opinion, that Red Hood and The Outlaws goes into a new direction, focusing on city-level crime. In a previous issue, it is implied that The Outlaws are wanted, pursued by all of different types of international crime investigators. I'd like to see that, especially if that means characters like Julia Pennyworth (who is a member of MI6) and The Hood (an agent of Spyral) to become parts of the storyline. There we would have a connection to the other Bat-Books while also being able to act independently).

Astonishing Member Dark_Tzitzimine's Avatar

That would made it very similar to Grayson and Jason has grown beyond a mere street level vigilante (that frankly, we have too many already) There's also the fact that Jason needs to step out of Bruce's shadow and make a name of his own. And Bruce asking Jason for help should be as las resort.

The current direction is pretty good already but if you want another direction, taking a page of Guardians of the Galaxy would be interesting.

I'd like more Arsenal arcs. Or an Arsenal arc in general.

But wide variety of adventures is fine since the Outlaws pretty much have a piece of different character pies: Batman, Green Arrow, Whatever Team Dick and Kori was a part of. Since each has been in different genre/places, having multitiered adventures fits into the narrative.

id be up for anything since the book doesnt have a general direction but is still good id personally just want them to phase out roy wearing trucker caps its stupid

BANNED

I would like more Arsenal and Starfire focused arcs though. And the trucker hat stays! -_-

Astonishing Member Dark_Tzitzimine's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by AJpyro View Post
    I'd like more Arsenal arcs. Or an Arsenal arc in general.

But wide variety of adventures is fine since the Outlaws pretty much have a piece of different character pies: Batman, Green Arrow, Whatever Team Dick and Kori was a part of. Since each has been in different genre/places, having multitiered adventures fits into the narrative.
    Exactly! The character selection on the book allows for any good writer to tackle pretty much any kind of genre. Limiting the plots to only one narrative would be harmful for the book.

Astonishing Member

One of the things that makes this title stand out from the rest is that it's free wheeling; a sci-fi fantasy adventure story.

I'm fine with it being canceled, and I'm fine with it being folded back into Bat-editorial, but I do hope if it continues it continues to occupy a unique niche in the greater Bat-Universe. They've got magic/mystical horror (Batwoman/Gotham by Midnight), coming of age (Batgirl, Academy), Spy/Grounded Scifi (Grayson), Superhero (Batman and Robin), crime (a lot of Eternal, Detective), and a flagship Batman book that sort of merges all the various Batman elements; superhero, horror, crime.

So not much scifi, and what we have is fairly grounded sci fi. I think there is room for something bigger, like Red Hood, and I'd like to see it tackled with a bit more aplomb (perhaps Simon Oliver would be appropriate?)

Like some others I think the book has run its course. It has been spinning its wheels for a while now. The last important story left to tell that we were waiting for was Roy's origin and his relationship with Green Arrow and that is over now. What is left? More rinse and repeat sci-fi stories? More League of Shadows? Fighting more random terrorists? It's all just so dull. The worst thing that can happen to a book or a franchise in my opinion is to become stale and irrelevant that is what this book is heading towards. End it while people still remember it in a good light. They can fight as many terrorists or evil aliens in as many exciting situations as they can come up with, they can even have Stafire kick a nuclear bomb every issue just because and have Roy and Jason fangirl over her for it, but it just feels directionless.

I'd say that maybe they should just shake up the book and add more members, but I don't think that would work. These 3 characters have been stuck together for so long that I think it is a little too late to add anyone else. It wouldn't feel right. So I'd cancel the book before people start to become too frustrated with it, give Jason a solo book (he can carry one so give him a shot DC), stick Starfire in a space focused title, and put Roy back with Green Arrow and try to salvage that aspect of his character since it is so important to his history.

D*mned Prince of Gotham JasonTodd428's Avatar

Something I don't want is to have the uniqueness of the title taken away. They already have ruined several titles because they did that. (Batwing and Earth 2 among them.) Jason doesn't need to be a street level vigilante or rather he doesn't need that to be the only thing he is. I agree with Dark Tzitzimine that he has gone beyond that character type and that we already have to many of those out there anyway. What I would like to see is firstly a direction for Outlaws that continues the unique flavor of the title as it stands. I like that they can basically have any type of adventure up to an including sci-fi and I would like to see that remain the norm. The only thing I really want is for the title to go back to the Bat office and have a new team put on it. I think this title could be so much more under someone else's pen and that Doyle could find someone willing to take more chances with the Outlaws.

Additionally, I would like to see some type of solo Red Hood title that really focuses on Jason himself, which would allow for more page time in Outlaws to explore both Kori's and Roy's characters. I wouldn't mind at all if Lobdell was the writer for this book because he does very well with writing Jason. Jason is a mystical warrior of a sort now what with his All Caste training so perhaps a solo that focuses on that aspect to really build up that part of his back story. It feels to me that they could really make something of that and that it could be a vehicle for some interesting stories that would take him out of Batman's shadow completely and would make him his own man.

Quote Originally Posted by Deniz Camp View Post
    One of the things that makes this title stand out from the rest is that it's free wheeling; a sci-fi fantasy adventure story.
    That's part of what I really like about it too.
    Last edited by JasonTodd428; 01-06-2015 at 11:53 AM.
    Supporting LION FORGE COMICS and other independent publishers.

Check out Lion Forge's Catalyst Prime Universe. Its the best damned superhero verse in comics. Diverse characters and interesting stories set in a universe where anyone can be a hero. And company that prides itself on representation both in the comics themselves and in the people behind them.

Oh my goodness gracious! I've been bamboozled!

When we hit our lowest point, we are open to the greatest change. AVATAR AANG

Fantastic Member

Quote Originally Posted by Infinityphoenix View Post
    Something I've noticed in a previous thread [Bat-Editorial Wishlist 2015] was that a lot of fans are divided on how to improve upon the series. Between changing writers, a new direction, and editorial shifts, it seems as though there are a variety of options.

Personally, I want to repeat my opinion from the previous thread, that I would like to see Red Hood and The Outlaws shifted to Bat-Editorial in June 2015. For writing purposes, I nominate Warren Ellis (Moon Knight Volume 01: From The Dead), from his previous work he's shown to be character driven while balancing crime-centered tones.

Which takes me to my second opinion, that Red Hood and The Outlaws goes into a new direction, focusing on city-level crime. In a previous issue, it is implied that The Outlaws are wanted, pursued by all of different types of international crime investigators. I'd like to see that, especially if that means characters like Julia Pennyworth (who is a member of MI6) and The Hood (an agent of Spyral) to become parts of the storyline. There we would have a connection to the other Bat-Books while also being able to act independently).
    I'd like Warren Ellis to write an unhealthy number of books at DC, but not Red Hood and the Outlaws. The guy I want to write Red Hood and the Outlaws is Garth Ennis. I think this would be the perfect book for him at DC right now.
    "If I come back from the dead one more time I'll be seriously in danger of turning into some kind of walking cliche." - Jean Grey, Uncanny X-Men #284

Warren Ellis is not a realistic idea.

Ditch Roy and Kori, and give Jason his own solo. Then I might actually read it.

Quote Originally Posted by Godlike13 View Post
    Warren Ellis is not a realistic idea.
    Why not? The guy did work for hire on Moon Knight and returns to Marvel every so often. DC offer him enough and a little carte blanche, he'd take the job.

Quote Originally Posted by PyroSikTh View Post
    Ditch Roy and Kori, and give Jason his own solo. Then I might actually read it.
    Give it back to the Bat office in terms of editorial staff and we're in business.

Quote Originally Posted by MrStatham View Post
    Why not? The guy did work for hire on Moon Knight and returns to Marvel every so often. DC offer him enough and a little carte blanche, he'd take the job.
    2 reasons. One i don't think he'd be interested, and two if DC were to get Warren Ellis to write a book it probably wouldn't be RHatO. Im not saying its impossible, just not realistic.